Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Keep at if talondale. It will all come together for you
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any suggestions of what I should have done different? (besides the obvious setup closer and higher, LOL)

Last edited by Talondale; 05-12-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Talondale
Any suggestions of what I should have done different? (besides the obvious setup closer and higher, LOL)
Hindsight is always 20/20. I am always cautious about spooking roosted birds. You could try starting from higher or on same level. I have also noticed that this year I don't know if its the late spring stuff or what but it seems the birds that I have killed this year really want to be called in. You back of and they loose interest. In your situation with heavy pressured birds take there tempeature start off light and crank up if you have to. Sometimes it's just turkeys being turkeys. Good luck talondale! Keep hunting hard and your hard work will usually pay off
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the birds guys and Kenny not sure if you realize it but your bird ranks #153 all time! Heck of a bird
Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Congrats on the birds guys and Kenny not sure if you realize it but your bird ranks #153 all time! Heck of a bird
Is that all. 153 all time, you can do better than that camokenny. Lol!!I don't Think my best bird of all time breaks 85. Kellyguinn thanks for putting things into perspective on that bird. Heck of a trophy camokenny!! Congrats again
Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

In some cases like here where the birds are pressured I have found that if I have a bird coming in. Then he backs away I will try a few different calls to try to sound like a flock of birds to get his attention again. Sometimes this will work and other times forget it.. Which makes me think he has an interest in another hen? I am not sure if it will work in your case though. It is just a thing that most of these driving by is using a slate here. So if I am going to use a slate I might just as well mix it up a little. I have had them come in a little closer before. Just an idea that you may want to try if you have another one come in and he starts going away from you. Nothing to loose by trying it..

Good luck to you as well as all that are hunting right now!

I also updated our scores in our team's score report for anyone to view..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Spike

Well guys my season ended Sunday.

I went out both Saturday and Sunday and the birds where not in a talking mood either day. I heard just 3 birds this weekend and they all only gobbled once. The humidity was at 100% at day break and I really think that shuts them down unless they are in the peak of breading.

This year has been tough one for me, I had several birds that where just out of range and everything from me making a mistake to deer running through, which happened 3 times. I hunted hard this year and what I have to show for it is unfilled tags and the fact that this was funnest spring turkey season I have ever had!!! Which to me far out weighs not filling my tags. Yes there where times when frustration kicked in but I just keep plugging away. I seen more gobblers and hens this year than I have ever seen before during the spring.

Sorry I couldn't help the team out!!!

Congrats to those that have taken a gobbler or so and also to those that had a great season!!!

For those still hunting keep after 'em and wish you all the best.

I will checking in every few days.

What place is our team in now?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear that you have had no luck this year.. However, as you have stated that you have enjoyed your hunting this year is the main thing. Being out in the great outdoors enjoying yourself while trying to get a turkey is the main part of the hunt.. Scoring a bird is only a bonus to it..

We are in 1st place in all catagories! We have a great team! I believe we will be the winners!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went back out this morning before work. Climbed the ridge he was hanging up on and, although it was a beautiful morning, I heard nothing. Still nice to wake up with the world in the woods though.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Went back out this morning before work. Climbed the ridge he was hanging up on and, although it was a beautiful morning, I heard nothing. Still nice to wake up with the world in the woods though.
I agree, although you still want to hear that gobble! They are around there somewhere. Hang in there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.