Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 04-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Well it was a beautiful morning to be in the spring turkey woods. I heard several turkey gobble all around me. I got set up on a group of turkeys right after fly down. I set up and called and they would respond. I could hear hens and I think there was three toms. I was probably about 120 yards from them, they were on a knoll and I was just below them. Suddenly two packs of coyotes started howling and they were really close. Every one of those toms started gobbling like crazy. The coyotes were so close I thought that they would run the turkeys over me but I never saw them. I heard gobbles through out the morning but they didn't want anything to do with my calling. It was still just a wonderful morning to be out in Gods creation!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear they would not come in for you swambuster.. But, I am glad to hear that you had heard some. That almost always gets you blood pumping knowing you are near them. Yes, those dam coyotes are a pain. Last year a guy was setting his decoys out and a coyote ran up and bit his hand as he was letting go of the decoy. Then it ran off with a turkey shot in his but.. They guessed that the coyote never saw the guy and went after his decoy..

Last year I set up on a hill and the turkeys stayed at the bottom go figure..( same place a bear got into my blind and i had to sew it back up ) But where I was it was all open with a pile of large rocks I snucked over to for cover. I got my biggest bird of last year by doing that. There was 2 toms there and when 1 of them stuck his head up and looked at me I blasted it.. Anyways enough out of me and hoping you have better luck next time out there..
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I am planning going back to the same area, might try to get set up on that knoll. I think that might be one of there strut zones. Hopefully it will be a great Easter morning hunt before church.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope you have some great luck this morning and Happy Easter Sunday!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Turkeys were not gobbling very well this morning. I had a hard time getting on them, they would gobble and then go silent for thirty minutes or so and gobble again several hundred yards away. Never really got close to any turkeys.

Happy Easter to every one!!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know what you mean when they do that.. I had it happen to me more than once a year.. Hopefully they will come back to where they were. The place I hunt some times they would come back the next day and other time 3 or 4 days later before they show up again.. One never knows for sure what they are going tod.. I guess that is why we call it hunting.. I also found over calling will scare them away at times.. Good luck on your next outing..
Old 04-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

I think they are henned up pretty good right now. Our spring is about three weeks to a month behind.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ours is around a month behind up here as well. The snow pack has just about left us now with only a few areas in the woods holding the snow. I am hoping the green grass will have started during that first week of our season to help draw the hens out.. I did see 5 turkeys on the way home from work today going threw a field here in town..
Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

How is everyone else doing with there season?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am hoping they will Chime in and give us some sort of update.. I am wondering the same thing..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.