Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 3* ~ Red Dawn Raiders >

Team 3* ~ Red Dawn Raiders

Team 3* ~ Red Dawn Raiders

Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

NjHunter85 has been added to your team...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Teebugg

Oh boy....
Awesome. you did an excellent job. Hows it sound?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds great actually. Great purrs and soft yelps!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:21 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Man that looks like my ice fishing bait container.......

How do you find other places to hunt?

Well the internet and this contest as a few others has been very good to me. That TN hunt well was my 1st internet date....and it was a lady who has 106 acres in the hills to which I met another older lady with 800! Way cool. The 800 was off limits to me until I took her grandson out and bang.......I can come and go as I please.

I hunted with a member here after I got an invite out of the clear blue. Was a thank you so to speak as I just stepped up and helped him with a computer problem. Hunted GA 2 times. Long ride for this ole northern boy and not real keen on snakes!

In my home state I write letters asking for permission in areas I target that has birds. I use a plat map and now most counties have a GIS system that allows me to see the plat electronically and I can get addresses as well as look at satellite maps. Way cool. I picked up another 300 acres doing just that this year. I was given access to a back 40 that edged a good open field - but wanted to not be stuck in one place. The birds did use the field well. Well off that 40 the last 3 yrs I have taken 4 birds. 3 myself and 1 for other a nephew with me. I now can move a bit more as I have better access.

In my letters I state what I want to do. The dates I plan on being there. Who will be hunting with me if anybody. Note I only will take 1 and no more. I also state hunting is a priveldge and I write each year as permission is not a given. I give them a description of my truck with license plate, e-mail, and cell phone. I also tell them a bit about me, how old, my hobbies such as a hunter ed instructor, and why I seek written permission. Far easier to explain to somebody with written permission slip in your pocket!
And I do give a few gifts if successful as I worked for a consumer product company. So a small bag of Zip loc bags and containers, some Glade, and some Off! and away I go. The gift seems to well received! And I thank each at the end of the season. I do send xmas cards.

Just because a piece of land may be posted No Hunting does not stop me. I ask and have been quite successful!

That as worked very well for me and a buddy in 2 states.

Hope that helps.

JW
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Ice fishing....been a good year here for that. Maybe ill turn a baitpuck into a double sider haha!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Teebug, that is sweet! How does it sound?

You are always welcome here in MA.
I hunt Eastern NY or birds... Hillsdale, New Lebanon, etc.... right on Mass border. I've neve been too far in for turkeys. I do deer hunt Cayuga county every year though.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds great. The purrs and soft yelps are just amazing. I cant wait to use it this spring. Unfortunately i have a bunch of supplies and a few to make!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome aboard njhunter!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Spike

JW, I'll have to start writing some letters myself then. Maryland is mostly private land (the eastern shore in particular, and that's where the big birds I grew up hunting all are, see signature picture), so knowing people or contacting them would really be the only way to go for getting access to areas. It's probably a little late to start asking for this season, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for next year.

Last edited by xOEDragonx; 03-14-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

It is never to late -

I will send you a sample of my letter via e-mail

it does take time and I do follow up with some door knocking. I do find later season it is easier to get on private. But this program I use has worked very very well for me.

I have lots of 40 and 80 acre areas that if I added them up would be over 2000 acres and I am not kidding. I treat each with respect and write each yr for that privilege. I have developed some very personable friendships because of it.And I owe it all to my mentor who made me go meet the public and ask. Hated doing it but then found I was very good at it.

D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.