HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who said that physics wasn't fun?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

I'm not sure why this is a mystery anymore. Dr. Ashby's studies have shown the importance of momentum when shooting an arrow into a live animal. We're dealing with animals that have bones that can deflect an arrow. Deflection kills energy. Momentum is what resists deflection. It's what gives adequate penetration on the not-so-good shots. When an animal is not only moving, but at an odd angle and the arrow hits a bone, kenetic energy is not the important factor.

Ashby has clearly demonstrated two important variables. One is momentun (heavy weight) and the other is FOC (where the weight is located). Make it heavy and put the weight on the tip and you get maximum penetration. The fact that you can kill an animal with less weight and lower FOC's does not make it the best way. When you're in the situation where there is a high wind and the arrow hits bone, at an odd angle, you might as well have the best chance at killing it.

Flat trajectories are great for those shooting at long ranges and who don't know the distances. Neither of those describes my hunting scenerios. As long as I know the distance, even long ranges are best shot with heavier weights. It seems like everytime I'm out, the wind is blowing, the cover is thick, with small twigs that can get in the way, and the animal presents less than the perfect angle for a shot. I'll take the advantages of high FOC and heavy arrows every time.