HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hanging Feeder
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Hotburn76

Default RE: Hanging Feeder

ORIGINAL: BIG TUNA
I am trying to choose which seeds to fill it with....

I'm thinking of making a corn, alfalfa, soy and oat mix. What four grains would you mix together?
I have mainly only used corn in the past. When you say seeds, I have never heard of anyone feeding alfalfa seeds to deer. They are real small not much bigger then sand grains and I cant see a deer eating them. I have put out rolled oats last fall but they ferment real fast in damp conditions in my area, but the deer liked them. I recently put up a new feeder and had big plans of using Purina's antlermax feeds mixed with corn, started out with 25%. But for some reason the deer do not like it at all. The deer are rooting threw and kicking out the Purina feed and only eating the corn. I shut the feeder off and put some of the Purina feed on the ground and when I came back they had kicked it out of the way! So Purina is out for me, maybe works on pen raised deer that have that as there only option or in area where the is not much forage food, but in my area it is not liked by the deer.

ORIGINAL: TexasOaks
Curios to know what others put in their feeders?
After saying what I did above the next time I go out I plan on putting in a mix of 75% corn and 25% soybeans. I have read that deer will eat the soybeans but you have to mix a little in first to get them started. So I will be trying that on Monday when I go back out and pull my card on the camera and fill the feeder.