HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting Techies - here's a head scratcher.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:46 AM
HuntingBry
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Techies - here's a head scratcher.

Not a bad concept, but not something I would want to be raising and lowering from my treestand. I would like to expand on your idea and simplify a bit if you would indulge me.

Working in IT I see things all the time that don't make sense (e.g. a manager that brings his laptop to a meeting so he doesn't miss email when he's got a Blackberry on his hip)[&:]. The point of that is you don't need all of that computing power on your bow.

If you took a sight, similar to what Summit put out this year with a little more guts to it, and did all of the computing on your home computer, you could download the information to the sight. You would input your bow's speed, arrow weight, FOC, etc. and let the computer calculate the formula for distance compensation. That way all of the number crunching is done and you have a more compact unit. The rangefinder unit could work similar to a scan mode and the whole sight could be activated by a touch pad on the bow's gripto save on battery life. Heck you could even include a solar panel to charge your battery while you sit. Then when the deer approaches you grab the bow, automatically engage the sight with your hand and draw. Once you are on the deer the sight would scan the distance with the range finder and the dot would compensate with the data already loaded from the PC. Place the dot on the target and release.

This would take all of the guess work out of gapping pins or estimating drop on a single pin sight. The downsides would be price, durability, and that the manufacturer would have to make it so it wouldn't compensate too far or you'd have guys taking more unethical shots than they already do. Being a techy I like the idea, but it kind of takes some of the skill out of bowhunting. Plus it'd be illegal in PA, we can't even have Lumenocks.