Community

Team 1 check in

Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the doe Dave! (again, lol).

I've found ~7 dead deer in the past week - blue tongue is taking its toll in the local area. Still I've been seeing deer almost every hunt. I blew a chance yesterday evening on a big doe standing broadside @12yds - she heard my arm drag across the tree when I tried to draw. Suspicious, she went 20 yds deeper into a holly thicket and then fed on acorns til dark. I saw several deer tonight in another acorn flat, but none in range. A buck came through and chased a doe around, but they too never got close.

-fsh

Last edited by fshafly2; 09-26-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fshafly2
Congrats on the doe Dave! (again, lol).

I've found ~7 dead deer in the past week - blue tongue is taking its toll in the local area. Still I've been seeing deer almost every hunt. I blew a chance yesterday evening on a big doe standing broadside @12yds - she heard my arm drag across the tree when I tried to draw. Suspicious, she went 20 yds deeper into a holly thicket and then fed on acorns til dark. I saw several deer tonight in another acorn flat, but none in range. A buck came through and chased a doe around, but they too never got close.

-fsh
Ackkkkk..................blue tonque, Fsh you are the first I have heard mention that in these parts. I have not found any dead deer in my neck of the woods. I do have a few pictures of some deer that are rather thin and I wondered what was going on with them.

Goodluck with the hunting.

Dave
Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Your new team mate kkrandyll
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Spike

New member to the team checking in. I'm Randall. I will be hunting middle TN.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Wlcm Randall!

Dave
Two friends have found over a dozen dead deer btw them in their hunting areas, and over at the Indian Head Navy Base, they have found 11 dead deer (so far). I can't go into the woods (several different areas) and not get a whiff of dead deer. It looks like a bad outbreak of blue tongue this year.
-fsh

Last edited by fshafly2; 09-26-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Randall! I hunt middle TN as well. Mostly southern, middle. Some close to Nashville, though. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome Randall to Team #1 Aces-in-the-hole. I am your team Captain " how that happened I still have not figured out". A reminder that you can count a doe for 25 points this year. Same rule apply as if it was a buck except for rack measurement. Picture with you, your bow and entire deer.

All, I am trying to figure out what kind of sig we want to use. Anyone good at making sigs feel free to submit one to the group for approval))).

Fsh, quick question to cure my curiosity: So having the smell of dead deer all over the woods, how would that effect your tracking dog if any? I am curious how that works? The dog tracks by blood scent and not body scent?

Dave

Last edited by SouthernMDArcherer; 09-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SouthernMDArcherer
Fsh, quick question to cure my curiosity: So having the smell of dead deer all over the woods, how would that effect your tracking dog if any? I am curious how that works? The dog tracks by blood scent and not body scent?

Dave
Dave
Ruby (most of the time) tracks the deer I start her on - she learns the body scent and blood scent. If there was a breeze when the hunter shot the deer, Ruby often tracks downwind and parallel to the blood trail. We did a track last Saturday night, and Ruby ignored a dead deer in the area that I knew was in there and stayed on track, so it's not been an issue.

-fsh
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

Went out yesterday afternoon and saw nothing. Expected not to with the squirrel hunters in the woods. Getting out of stand at dark I decided to stop off at a few of my cameras and pull some cards. Got a few pictures of small bucks but nothing of any size. How is it going folks? Post up so we know you are alive)))).

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.