Team #13 The WIDOWMAKERS

Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM
  #201  
Nontypical Buck
 
WIbuckchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chippewa county, WI.
Posts: 2,646
Default

Some nice bucks Hammerman.
WIbuckchaser is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
  #202  
Fork Horn
 
huntinboy1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 408
Default

Nice bucks!! Hopefully you can put one of those bad boys down!!
huntinboy1122 is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 PM
  #203  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
PREDATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Downwind, New York
Posts: 578
Default

I spot and stalked all afternoon in a steady rain. Saw 8 deer. 2 of them were bucks.
The first deer I came across was a shooter buck. I was walking along a powerline and came to an old shale quarry that hasn't been used in years. It's overgrown with goldenrod and a few patches of smaller trees. I was on the upper side and walked around the rim and spotted a buck. I couldn't tell if it was standing or bedded. I crawled 10Yds. to get behind a bush so that I could get a better look. Now I was 45-50 yds from him. As soon as I verified that he was a shooter, the wind shifted and he spooked. He never saw me, but it's apparent that he smelled me(I was sweating). I doubled back out of the area to make sure I wouldn't bump him. He was in a spot that I'm pretty sure doesn't get alot of hunting pressure. Do you guys think he'll stay around that area? This was only the second time I've hunted that spot(1st time this year), so I don't really know it that well. I might just have to spend a few evenings overlooking the quarry to figure out his route.
PREDATE is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM
  #204  
Fork Horn
 
jermelott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denham Springs, La.
Posts: 356
Default

Originally Posted by hammerman
Congrats on a HUGE doe!!

I went out Sunday morning & didn't see a deer! Things are starting to heat up a bit, there were 2 fresh scrapes within 25yds of my stand. We also got these pics on one of our cameras.
Those are some nice bucks! I sure hope you can connect with one of those guys. Thanks for sharing the pics. Anyone else getting any pictures of target bucks?
jermelott is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 AM
  #205  
Fork Horn
 
jermelott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denham Springs, La.
Posts: 356
Default

Originally Posted by PREDATE
I spot and stalked all afternoon in a steady rain. Saw 8 deer. 2 of them were bucks.
The first deer I came across was a shooter buck. I was walking along a powerline and came to an old shale quarry that hasn't been used in years. It's overgrown with goldenrod and a few patches of smaller trees. I was on the upper side and walked around the rim and spotted a buck. I couldn't tell if it was standing or bedded. I crawled 10Yds. to get behind a bush so that I could get a better look. Now I was 45-50 yds from him. As soon as I verified that he was a shooter, the wind shifted and he spooked. He never saw me, but it's apparent that he smelled me(I was sweating). I doubled back out of the area to make sure I wouldn't bump him. He was in a spot that I'm pretty sure doesn't get alot of hunting pressure. Do you guys think he'll stay around that area? This was only the second time I've hunted that spot(1st time this year), so I don't really know it that well. I might just have to spend a few evenings overlooking the quarry to figure out his route.
I think he should stay in the area, especially if he didnt see you. I think you are on the right track hanging back and scouting from a distance too. (but.. definately bring your bow! lol) Good luck!
Keep us updated!
jermelott is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
  #206  
Fork Horn
 
26drawny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by hammerman
Congrats on a HUGE doe!!

I went out Sunday morning & didn't see a deer! Things are starting to heat up a bit, there were 2 fresh scrapes within 25yds of my stand. We also got these pics on one of our cameras.

Very Nice Bucks... I hope you get to connect with one of them!!!
26drawny is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM
  #207  
Nontypical Buck
 
WIbuckchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chippewa county, WI.
Posts: 2,646
Default

Originally Posted by jermelott
I think he should stay in the area, especially if he didnt see you. I think you are on the right track hanging back and scouting from a distance too. (but.. definately bring your bow! lol) Good luck!
Keep us updated!
I think he should stay in the area.
WIbuckchaser is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 AM
  #208  
Fork Horn
 
huntinboy1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 408
Default

He should stay around. He wasn't bumped too bad
huntinboy1122 is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 PM
  #209  
Fork Horn
 
26drawny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 144
Default

OK... Did a full day today... I am beat... Gonna head out at 4am... It is 9pm now... Here is my update... While out today I seen 2 doe and one buck... The Buck, well that thing was moving... It was a big one too... I haven't seen that one... Well at least I didn't know what it was until today... Let me start by saying I have been getting frustrated with myself in many ways... Well I decided I was going to go for this deer which I have been assuming was a doe as I never really seen it's head just it's tail... My cousin and I have built a few ground blinds back in March and April for spring turkey... They work great as we only use what we find laying in that area... Three times this month I have gone to a particular blind on the side of a pond that is boardered by older pines and some mix of older and newer hardwood(oak and Maple)... I have kicked >A< (yes singular) Deer up here 4 times already and it just seems to come back... Well while walking the trail to it about 2 hours later than i normally would due to a number of reasons today it was around 7:45am... Yes it was already shooting time... Well I looked at my trail that we had cleared back in spring and we created for the purpose of us being able to get to the spot and I noticed a muddy area about 15 feet ahead of me... Now I understand we are in the woods but the ground is covered in leafs... Oh yeah you know what it is... My heart began to lift at the sight of it... I walked up to it and it is what I thought... BUT... This thing looked VERY FRESH... I stood for about 5 minutes scanning... I was just about to take a step and heard a thud... then another.... All I seen was a rack and a very big body at about 75 yards up the trail just on the other side of the blind... Now I did go to inspect the tracks and played all possibilities in my head and to be honest I don't think he seen me... I do think I made a little bit of noise in my poor start to the day as it seemed to be doomed from about 4am this morning... Now I know this area friggin very well and have not seen any sign here this year and mind you it has been 5 days since the last time I was there... So now that he was gone I figured I would take to the old logging road he jumped from... He made 3 scrapes within 40 yards of my blind and I can tag him at each one... So I figured I would try the other logging road that leads to the other side of the hill which I also walked the otherday and whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! I find 5 more scrapes... ALL FRESH... So I have spent the rest of the day in another part of the property figuring out where he is and I figure there is a lot of fallen timber in the back half of the pines and a creek at the bottom back there so he has plenty of water around him and plenty of Oaks that dropped acorns in there too... I am going to try it in the AM on the outer edge of that area with my climber on the downhill side which is about 150 yards away but has a lot of sign... I have narrowed it down to where he started and where he came onto the trail and where he was headed... It was one big circle... You could see his tracks... I didn't walk his actual trail and didn't need to... It was soo fresh... The dirt was fresh on the leafs and it had and still was raining...
26drawny is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 PM
  #210  
Nontypical Buck
 
WIbuckchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chippewa county, WI.
Posts: 2,646
Default

Good luck drawny I hope you get a crack at him.
WIbuckchaser is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.