Community

Intentional Grounding team 14

Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

I work for rieth riley not sure if you have heard of them or not they are really big in Indiana.
I can't say I have ever seen anything.like that on a deer has me puzzled
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Tumors is what I thought at first. I ran it by a few guys that are hunting freaks and they didn't know either. They thought maybe the same thing but nobody knew for sure. I might send the picture off to a professional hunting company and see if anyone replys.

I work for a large shingle/roofing manufacturer is why I asked. We use a lot of asphalt. I can't say I have heard of that company.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

As you can see from my Avatar, I can copy pictures and add wording but that's about the best I can do.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I would be interested to find that out.
We mainly pave roads and highways up here I'm not sure if they get into the shingles on not
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the long post. Everything that I have been able to find and come across mentions Fibroma. I actually did a search on google and the first thing to pop up was some information from Huntingnet. The other information is from a biologist. I don't think I would let if spoil my hunt...I just simply wouldn't shoot that deer. haha

From Huntingnet: Skin Tumors
Hunters sometimes shoot a deer with lumps on the skin. These bumps are usually non-cancerous tumors called fibromas or papillomas. Viruses cause both. The only difference is that fibromas grow either from the skin or from the layer beneath, while papillomas grow only from the skin. Both lumps are dark-colored and hard to the touch. These growths generally do not cause problems for deer, but people are curious about them. Hunters may feel venison is inedible because of these tumors. Since lumps are usually found only in the skin, not in the muscles, there is generally no problem. But tumors located inside a deer's body might be cancerous and the venison should not be eaten.

Ask the Biologist
  • Last year I harvested a deer that had several hard black growths in and on its skin. What causes this?
What you saw is called a "fibroma" or "papilloma". It is a hairless external black or grey tumor that is caused by a virus transmitted into the skin of the deer when it is bitten by an insect, most commonly a deer fly. They are attached to the surface of the skin and are generally not a problem for the deer unless they become infected (rare) or become so numerous that they interfere with the deer's vision, locomotion or eating.
Fibromas are not contagious and cannot be transfered to humans or pets. While grotesque and unsightly, fibromas also do not affect the meat and should generally just be cut off at the surface of the skin and discarded before butching the deer. The attachment of the fibroma often recedes and I've seen them in late spring where they appear to be hanging by a stalk. Interestingly, the virus that causes cutaneous fibromas appear to be specfic to deer and are not observed in cattle, horses or other livestock.
Don't let it spoil your deer hunt !
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for that info like I said I've never seen them here but now I know
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Spike

yea ive get a few pics of deer with those spots it seems to be all over since the winters were mild
Attached Thumbnails Intentional Grounding team 14-big-bean-409.jpg   Intentional Grounding team 14-big-bean-408.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for looking into the tumors. I was pretty sure they were benign skin tumors, but couldn’t bring myself to overlook them, especially since she had the skin and fur covered thing hanging off her chin too. The tumors were the same as the ones in Sanders pictures, but two of them were bigger. I am not starving, so I’ll wait for a healthier looking specimen. Unfortunately, I have no more computer design savvy then the rest of you, as far as the avatar goes. I may get back out on Saturday. If not I have the day off Monday, so I give it a try then. Our early muzzleloader season starts the 18th. I wouldn’t mind at least getting a doe down before then.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 AM
Fork Horn

Went out after work last nite saw 6 2 does 2 fawns and 2 button bucks.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If we could photoshop a bow in my hand this would be good, or find a similar photo of a bowhunter. I think I have some pics of just the deer from the same angle. We could use that with a photoshop clip of a ref signalling intentional grounding.

Last edited by Talondale; 10-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.