Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3) >

Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)

Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)

Old 11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here he is. Shot him on Sunday morning. I thought about passing on the morning because of the high winds, but decided to go. I chose a stand in a ravine with rock cliffs on both side. The whole ravine is a natural funnel and it is out of the wind. Figured deer would be like humans and go where they could get some relief from the wind.

I hadn't hunted this stand yet this year. When I got in, I quickly realized we might have trimmed too many limbs and I felt like a sitting duck. I knew if it was going to happen, it would be quick.

About 7:15 I caught the movement of a big bodied deer about 40 yards away. I seen descent height and good mass with pretty good width. I quickly got pulled back & hoped to get a better look at him. I then hit my stabilizer on my treestand and the buck stopped broadside 15 yards away. I knew it was now or never. Without getting a better look, I zipped an arrow through both lungs. I immediatly thought I shot a 140" buck. After a 50 yard scamper, he fell over.

While I'm happy with any buck i shoot, this one had some ground shrinkage. I went from thinking I shot a 140" buck to not even making 130". But I will take him especially in the windy conditions. None-the-less, he is mine.

-----------L----------R---
MB.......20.75.........20.5
G1.........2.5.............2.5
G2........9.125.........8.875
G3........4.875.........4.5
G4...........4.............-.....
H1..........4.5..........4.5
H2........4.125.........4.125
H3...........4..............4
H4........3.75...........3.125

IS..................16.875

Total: 126 5/8

Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a very nice buck Kurt! Congrats!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank You SouthDakotahunter.

Sounds good. LaMotte it is...haha.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck Zubba. Thats a dandy, good mass all the way around
Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Kurt,
Those tines got beef. Nice mature buck.
What did he weigh?

bb
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure what he weighed, but i can tell you this, he was the biggest body deer I think I've ever shot. I had to drag him about 50 yards and that was too much. It took about 30 minutes and some engineering to get him on the gambrel by myself. I hung him from the same gambrel we hang all deer from and I couldn't get his nose off the ground. I took some pics of his body size, I will pull them off the camera and post some.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

What a nice buck zubba. Those are some massive beams there. I am surprised he didn't score better. He had me fooled. I can see where you thought he was 140. I would have shot that rascal too. Nice deer man. I'm taking the girlfriend hunting in the morning. She's got a new mathews and is itchin to kill something.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, dropped the hammer on a nice 5x5 today. He gave me a heck of a scare... Didn't get good penetration and it took me 80yds before finding any blood - despite have some snow on the ground. Luckily I found some at a creek crossing and then later another couple of specs that helped me determine the direction he was going... As it turned out he proabably only went 200 yds but when you don't have a clear direction and very little blood made for a tough tracking job!

I'm in the boonies right now so it will probably take me a couple of days to get some pics posted - but I'll get it done as soon as I can...
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome SouthDakotaHunter. Can't wait to see some pics. Congrats!!!

Keep it up team, we're dropping some nice bucks.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go guys!! Looks like it's going good for a lot of you.
Congratulations SouthDakota. Enjoy the rest of your trip and then post us some nice pictures.
Our team score is looking SWEET. Keep'em coming in.
I scored goose eggs Thurs and Fri. Saw a couple of decent bucks on Thurs but they never presented a shot for me. The closest one got was 44 yds which is fine, but didn't want to chance shooting through the twigs in the way. The other one didn't get closer than 60 yds. Sat in that tree all day and only got down when I dropped my sandwich (it was still in the bag!). Friday was not good at all. Might take my oldest son tomorrow and I'll try tree sitting one more day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.