HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To fix or not to fix
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
RedBeard5289

Default RE: To fix or not to fix

If memory serves, I believe thatsome shelters neuter/spay all pets that are up for adoption so that they don't get "repeat business" from that pet. Especially if that pet runs away, abandoned or comes up with an unplanned pregnancy.
Now some shelter have you pay extra for an unneutered/unspayed pet with the understanding that when you get the pet fixed you will be partially reimbursed by the shelter upon providing them documentation that the pet has been fixed. I believe this is money issue for some shelters since they can't afford to get every animal the take in fixed.
This is what happen when we adopted our family cat (wife's idea not mine). He was 8-12 weeks old and not fixed. I think we paid $65 for him and after we got him neutered and showed the shelter the paperwork from the vet we got $25-30 bucks back. After he healed he was back to his usual energetic, inquizative self prior to the visit to the vet.
Side note also, My brother's dog was fixed after straying one to many times from the farm for some late night romance and he is still energetic and eager to hunt as ever. If anything I think the neutering calmed him down bit to make him easier to train and work with.

Just my two cents!
RedBeard5289