HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Elk Stories Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 PM
workhorse

Default RE: Best Elk Stories Thread

Two years ago my two hunting buddies made it out a day early, so by the time I made the 3 mile hike up to sattelite camp, they had already been scouting and located two nice bulls. The next day on opening morning we head out with the two of them in front and myself just behind. We are working our way around the mountain side about 100 yards from the crest and well above timberline. My buddy Tyler, who is in the middle, keeps lagging back. I keep telling him to close the gap, that things can happen fast, and mind you we are moving at a slow deliberate walk. I finally move past him and get right behind my buddy Andy. Five minutes later, Andy hits the deck, and asks me if I want to take a cow (we all have either sex tags). I say yes and away we go. Tyler is 50 yards back so he stays behind whil we make the stalk. Working on all fours and using the contours of the hillside, we work out way up to a finger ridge with a 3 foot high bolder right at the top.At this point I still haven't seen the elk. I come up over the rock... and look at a hillside about 100 yards away from me covered in elk. Right in the middle is a nice 5x5 bull. I center him up, and he drops before the gun can bark. I'm kneeling there in a daze when Andy shoves me out of the way " Nice shot, MOVE!!" Now he is in position and starts to pull on a cow, when I spot a6x6 silohuette itself on the next ridge over.I start frantically yelling "Bull,BULL, BULL!!!" He turns, and boom, game over!! Two bulls downby 7:15 opening morning!! It took us until Monday to get all of it packed off the mountain, but what an amazing hunt.