Community

Team 9 "Roosted & Roasted"

Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

deerdust checking in, didn't think I was going to get the chance to hunt, but it looks like I'll have an open schedule. Some of you may know me, as I've been here about 10 years. I've even run this contest in yrs past. I had them bring on JW as mod to take over for me. Some of you may know me if you hunted with IMB Outfitters. I have worked for them about 9 years as a guide and camp manager. I will be hunting Missouri this year. Season starts Apr 19 and runs through May 9. We are allowed 2 birds and hopefully I can bag them both.

Congrats to SS56 and Todd on the birds you've bagged so far, Great job guys.
Capt'n 2 Lunger, if you need a hand gimme a holler.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

its great to have you on the team deerdust, you certainly got a lot of experience on the site and all around and seems like you got a great thing going with the outfitting. good luck to you!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

No need to worry about scoring this one as he definately won't top my best bird for an obvious reason you will see. But I just wanted to share with my teammates.

Bird 4

Long but worth the read.

Went to a spot we call the home place this morning with Chris The plan was for me to set up behind Chris and call a bird to him that we knew was on this place because we had ran across him a few days earlier. Yep, that was the plan. The home place as we call it is essentially just a cow pasture with some stands of pine trees in it and some pretty thick woods just outside the barbed wire fence on 3 sides of it. As soon as we got to our listening spot on a little hill in the center of the pasture this bird gobbled across the fence on the right hand side of the field. So we struck out after him. Chris set up near a little clearing and where he could see down an old dim logging road to his right. I set up about 30 yards behind him. Since I did not expect to do any shooting I made no attempt to pick a tree where I could see very good in any direction. I set up on a big pine tree right on the fence line. This bird gobbled his butt off on the limb. Chris says he thinks perhaps more than 50 times. He also stayed on the limb a long time. By the time he did fly down we had already had hens sail in all around us. One of them saw Chris and walked off putting. At first I thought this bird was coming in perfect. He moved right to the old dim logging road. If he followed that road to us it would have put him all over Chris. But he gobbled right on past the road and us to the right then crossed the barbed wire fence into a stand of open pines in the pasture. And I mean gobbling every breath. Chris and I estimated that this bird might have gobbled 200 times. Well by know I realize this isn't going as planned. (I'm sharp like that) The bird keeps gobbling and finally has circled around us until he is directly behind me in the open pines back in the cow pasture. So I slide down the tree and roll over on my right side to look back towards the bird. I couldn't see him so I eased my gun up and switched it to left hand shooting position (I'm a rightly, that will be important later) So now Chris starts calling the bird for me. And this bird is hot. Chris and I would scratch in the leaves and he would even gobble at that. Here is the view I have. I'm looking through a barbed wire fence, up hill, over a log, through pines, small bushes and my head is 10 inches off the ground cause I'm laying down. Even worse, I have a small tree that I have to keep putting my gun barrel on one side of or the other as this bird keeps moving back and forth up there. I hear him spitting and drumming. I can hear his waddles rattle when he gobbles but still I can't see him. He had to be 5 feet over the rim of the hill. Finally I see his blue head moving left to right. I'm in a horrible contorted position so the first opening I have at his head I fire. When I squeeze the trigger two things happen. One; due to the position I'm in and shooting left handed my shotgun nearly gouged out my left eye. LOL! And two; the turkey flew up into a tree. As I lay there holding my left eye and muttering a word that would earn your movie a more mature rating, I see the bird come tumbling back out of the tree and hit the ground. So I grab my hat and crawl through the fence heading for the spot the bird fell when I notice the blood running down my left cheek. Yes, blood but more on that later. I get to the base of the tree and there's nothing there but feathers. I start to look around when I hear Chris (who's across the fence now too) say, "there he is." Back down the hill about 40 yards away is the gobbler. He's on his feet and walking around and around in about a 4 foot circle like he's drunk. Chris delivered a coup de grace shot and finished this odd turkey hunt. But there was a little more strangeness. This bird has a 10 1/4 inch very thick beard, weighed 17lbs 4 oz. Obviously at least a 2 year old. But he has almost no spurs to speak of. Maybe 1/4 inch on one side and just a small blister of a bump on the other. Weird.
I have a good gash under my left eye that will have me looking like I got fragged by a stray beer bottle in a bar fight for a while. But hell, it's worth it. A very fun and memorable turkey hunt with a good friend. And definitely a team effort. LOL!
Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Todd good job on another bird, you are just slaying them down there! Sounds like a very interesting and exciting hunt. Might as well score it too because any points will help toward the team total with all birds included. Congrats once again!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Todd that sounds like a dang good hunt to me! I bet you 'bout pissed yourself when that bird topped the hill, haha. That fired me up enough to skip class tomorrow and try to get on one in the morning. That really is weird about the spurs, never seen that before. You ever killed any other birds like that? Seem like it'd be a genetic thing or something. I've been going every now and then when I can. Went last Saturday and yesterday, we got on a few birds that were just too wise I reckon. They're still gobbling a little, but nothing like they were the last week of March. I expect it'll pick back up in a couple of weeks when all the hens start nesting. Deerdust, great to have you as a teammate sir, good luck this year! And good luck to everybody else who may be starting up soon. Todd, congrats again man, and you got one more right? Better make it a good one! Maybe I'll get on a hot one in the morning.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I'm one away from limited out. I have never personally killed a bird this age that lacked spurs before but I have heard of others who have. I did not score him because I thought I was already at the point where only a bird better than the others would be counted. But his particulars are 17lbs 4oz, 10 1/4 beard, right spur 1/4 inch, left spur 1/8 inch. Did not take a photo of myself and this bird if that prohibits his entry I'm sorry.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Once again, good job Todd. If I was a turkey in your part of the country I'd be relocating!

Well I got to hunt finally this morning and took a nice bird. I won't elaborate on the story because my father-in-law is needing help on a roof and I don't want to waste the second half of a vacation day!

The short story goes something like this. Gobble, yelp, gobble, BOOM!

Him and his buddy came in just like they'd read the book. I let the Mossy bark and put him on the ground at about 30 yards. 23lbs, 9" beard, both spurs 1". I've got another tag for each of the next two weekends, and in the morning I get to hopefully call in a bird for a Jakes hunt.

I'm having trouble with Photobucket. I'll get the pics on here this afternoon.

rw
Old 04-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the pictures:

Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on that bird hunt12ga! looks like an awesome tom, way to get another one on the board for team.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Great story Todd, ya know we need to see a pic of your battle wounds for validation purposes.

Season opens Monday here, so send some of your mojo my way. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.