Team 9 - Last Call

Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Yep. We might go Sat. I hate opening wk. end. Next wk. for sure. We're about as far South as you can hunt em.

You sir have become my newest best friend. lol. I was planing on hunting Osceola next year. Sure would be nice to have someone that knows there way around to help a guy out.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

I used to have an awesome lease but the Seminole Tribe bought the property so it's been public ground for the last 3 yrs. It's been tough! The birds in Big Cypress are real quiet. As a matter of fact I haven't heard a gobble in 2 yrs. We found some good sign last wk. so maybe that will change. We really weren't planning on going tomorrow but things have changed and I think we'll be headed out around 4am. It's howling rt. now but maybe it will lay down a tad. If not I'll break out one of my longboxes and have at em with it. Here's a pic. of our ride.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM
car
Typical Buck

Is this rig the one you turkey hunt out of???
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Yep. It's called a swamp buggy and what you need to hunt in Big Cypress. This year it's really dry so could travel anywhere with a golf cart if you wanted too. Most years we will be in 3 ft. of water for at least half of our 10 mile ride through the Glades.
There should be a lot of folk's out tomorrow. I'll see if I can get some more pic's of other rigs.

Hopefully I'll get a pic.of me and a dead turkey!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I posted this over on OG and didn't want to have to type it again. lol

Guess what I heard this morning??? Geoooobbbbbbblllllleeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so shocked I couldn't believe it. When we got to the parking lot at 5 this morning it was FULL!!!!! I thought oh sh--- this is going to suck. Anyways we got the buggy cranked and headed to our spot. We had Brad's son with us and one of his buddies so we had to drive them to another spot first and then we headed over to the new spot we found on Wed. Brad dropped me off on the trail and headed about a 1/4 mile farther up the trail. It was a nice morning and the wind was calm so I just stood where I was and listened. This area is a wide open prairie with pines behind me and cypress heads in front of me. The grass is about like 3 ft. CRP. There's a ton of buggy trails out there and the grass gets mashed down from the buggy traffic and that how the birds get around. Anyways, I didn't hear anything on the roost so I headed to an intersection of several trails where it was matted down and dried mud which made for a nice opening. I had seen a lot of track's there on Wed. It was daylight as I headed over there and sure enough there was some nice gobbler track's in the rd. I found a nice spot to set up and I sat down and started calling. I did start with the travel call but switched pretty quick to the ol Secret Weapon. I let out a series of cutt's followed by some helping and boom one gobbled off in the distance. I was blown away. lol That's the first gobble I've ever heard in Big Cypress!! I fired back at him and he answered again but man was he a long way. Probably not as far as I thought but I jumped up and hauled butt toward him. The area is a maze of buggy trails and that's how you get around and sometimes you take the wrong one and then you have to do a cross country to hit another trail. I closed the distance quite a bit and now had him tearing it up. I was actually afraid somebody else would hear him but thought what the heck so i kept calling and moving trying to figure out how to get over to where he was. There was a big cypress stand between us and it was like a jungle in there and I got hung up and had to retreat back to one of the trail'.s To make a long story short I couldn't figure out how to get on his side of the head and he wasn't going to cross it either. I messed with him a while longer but he finally shut up. I did hear some hen's coming to him so I think he wound up with some ladies out of the deal and I wound up empty handed. Brad heard a single gobble too and his son and friend heard one so I'm pretty excited about our odds this yr. Only problem is he can't go back until next Th. ??? ??? I think I'm going back Mon or Tue and I'm going to ride my bike. This is the first time I've hunted out there when it was this dry. I know I can make it back there on my bike. The ride is only about 7-8 miles so it won't be too bad and I should be able to aver. about 6-8 mph so I'll plan on leaving the parking lot about an hr. and a half before sunrise. I'm excited about the deal. BTW!!! We didn't hear one single shot. I counted 21 trucks in the parking lot with 3-4 4 of them having to park in the restricted lot (no trailer's allowed) There is no walk in hunting done in this area. Not that you can't just nobody does it because the first 2 mi. or so is usually flooded. I took some video of the buggy ride and I'll post it later. Man, I'm whupped!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
car
Typical Buck

Cool story, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

When and where are everybody hunting.
I start in Mississippi this coming Saturday for a week long hunt
Then on march 26 I will be hunting in TN at Ft. Campbell until season comes in at my home state of KY on April 16th!!!!
Let's Get this started!!!!!!!!! I've been the first person to kill in the contest the past two years, I hope to do the same next Saturday.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
car
Typical Buck

Go for it jjones!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I don't get to hunt until the last week of April!! Hopefully your all tagged out jjones by the time I start haha.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

our weather was horrible this weekend. didn't hear a single bird but we did kill a nice sow sunday morning while listening. our season starts next tuesday. the youth hunt is this weekend coming up so i'll get some more scouting done even if we don't connect on one. i'll be hunting al,fl and ga. i have a tenitive trip to kentucky planned but it's not firm yet. anybody want to be capitan or come up with a name?..........tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.