Community

need to make a plaque

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Spike

Default need to make a plaque

sorry if this isn't in the right spot!

OKay...I ended up shooting my first deer this year. He is what I call a baby 8..I didn't have the money to get his head mounted. SUCKS. full time college student going through rough times. What I did was cut his head off and buried it in the dirt. I'm going to let it sit for 8-9 months and check on it. I've been told it will be completely cleaned and nothing but bones/rack left. I would like to make some type of plaqe to "frame/hang it"...anyone have any ideas ? If I make something I'd be using oak wood..
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

Jig saw out a pattern. I'm sure you can google "mount patterns" and get something to cut and lay out on wood. I bury mine when I get them. I perfer the look. Mine go on a nail on the outside of my shed. Or, if its a baby eight, cut them off and use them as rattlers to call in a bigger one.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the rats and squirrels find your rack sticking out of the ground they might/will chew it up. You will have a better looking european mount if you boil the meat off the skull. Google european mounts and you will get some good tips.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
If the rats and squirrels find your rack sticking out of the ground they might/will chew it up. You will have a better looking european mount if you boil the meat off the skull. Google european mounts and you will get some good tips.

thanks guys. I have a 50 gallon barrel on top of it with bricks holding it down. It should be okay. Although I may do the boil after checking stuff out.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

these were very easy to make.i also just boil mine out.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Spike

where were those deer taken kb1?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

moravia,new york
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Spike

wow...those are some nice looking skulls and racks!!! I'm going up to get some wood today. I'll be making the platform sometime this weekend, and I'll boil out the skull next week.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Great choice deciding to boil it! it'll come out much cleaner looking. Find some good directions online, and follow them. It's really simple to do! Let's see some pics when you're done too!
-Jake
Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Great choice deciding to boil it! it'll come out much cleaner looking. Find some good directions online, and follow them. It's really simple to do! Let's see some pics when you're done too!
-Jake

Will do guys! Thanks. Oh, one more quick question. Do you boil yours on the grill, or what ??