Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
.45 Colt as Bear Country Back-up Gun?? >

.45 Colt as Bear Country Back-up Gun??

Community

.45 Colt as Bear Country Back-up Gun??

Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Spike

Default .45 Colt as Bear Country Back-up Gun??

Let me start out by saying...I know that handguns are NOT a "cure all" and are weak at best compared to clear thinking and a large caliber rifle. But, I am trying to find a gun that will offer me a chance to defend myself while backpacking in northern Wyoming, Montana, and possibly in Alaska...IF the need ever arose. And, it would have to be a packable gun.

Right now I am looking hard at the double-action Ruger Redhawk, .45 Colt, 4" barrel. I understand that it can be loaded up with large bullets at fairly quick velocities and at lower pressures.

What is ya'll's opinions on this gun and caliber for the purpose stated?

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; 01-06-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Spike

A handgun is a good option in many situations.

One option is to buy a .454 casull and shoot heavy .45 colt loads, or just reg .45 colt loads.

I went with a .44 mag.

You could
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the 44 mag.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that the really hot loads for the .45 LC are only for the Blackhawk (single action) or one of the T/C single shot pistols. The Redhawk is a very strong double action, so it should handle some occasional fairly hot loads.

Hot handloads for the .45 are about the same as a .44 mag. The areas that you mentioned do not have the huge brown bears, except Alaska. Interior brown bears ("grizzly") are not as heavy as the monsters that eat salmon, but they do look huge if you are standing on the same ground that they are. Probably any large handgun of .44 mag or larger would give you the measure of protection and peace of mind that you seek.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would look at the 454-casull, in the most compact double action revolver you can find.
Bear Spray does work and is much cheaper.