HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-bowhunting-contest-118/)
-   -   Team 11 Natural Bone Killers! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-bowhunting-contest/327914-team-11-natural-bone-killers.html)

HuntingEd 08-18-2010 03:59 AM

Team 11 Natural Bone Killers!

Hey guys! Thought I'd get our team thread started... I guess we should think of nominating a captain and brainstorm some names.

The bold names have checked in:

Team 11

fshafly2........................................ 148"
CAMPFOURCORNERS
Wallhangr
hmthtrfan
mammasboy
Huff04
HuntingEd
Whacker
LittleChief ..................................... 77 2/8"
dubcee

TOTAL .......................................... 225 2/8"

HuntingEd 08-18-2010 04:03 AM

I guess I should introduce myself, I know some of you but I havent been really active on the forums lately, life has been very busy for me. I'll be hunting in MD and VA, I've got nice bucks located in each state, so hopefully I'll connect on one this year. Last year I didnt get one with a bow, by choice, I passed up on a few 110-120 class deer in hopes for the big ones. Looking forward to a good season guys!

Glad to be on the same team again Andy! What are the odds?!?

fshafly2 08-18-2010 06:47 AM

It's great to see we are on the same team again this year Ed!

A bit about me for the rest of the team: My name is Andy and I been bowhunting for 46 years. I am now retired and live on my farm. I hunt So MD and we have some nice bucks around here. I am looking forward to the contest and meeting the rest of the team.

-fsh

wallhangr 08-18-2010 07:36 AM

Hey guys, suprised to see the teams posted so quickly! I took most of the year off from the forum, but recognize a couple names.

I'm Todd and live just west of St. Louis - hunt mostly in Calloway Co, MO. The largest buck in the state was taken off our property a few years ago and his genes are still around. Now if I can just hold out and not shoot the first 100" I see this year.

I have 7 days of vacation scheduled for bow season (mostly around Halloween) and can't wait for the season to get started!

LittleChief 08-18-2010 09:15 AM

How's it goin' guys? I don't believe I've ever really talked directly to any of you before. My name is Johnny and I'm hunting in Tennessee and Arkansas, but primarily in Tennessee. I'm 46 and I've been hunting all my life, but this will only be my fourth year bowhunting. My first two years I was an extreme doe slayer, but didn't see a buck to shoot at. Last year I took two bucks with my bow and it was the only year I didn't participate in this contest.:nonono2:

I'm really excited about my new 1200 acre lease just east of the Tennessee river. There's a history of good bucks being taken there recently - mostly due to the 8 point/15" inside spread club minimum. I can't wait for bow season to kick off. Bowseason here starts on my birthday - 25 September. I am so pumped up.:happy0001:

Huff04 08-18-2010 02:56 PM

my name is Lewis and i am 24 been hunting 13 years and have kill 26 deer mostly by gun. I be hunting in Henderson county in IL on private land

dubcee 08-18-2010 04:07 PM

Hey guys my name is Cole. Will be hunting Southeastern Minnesota Farm country this year. I got a few 120"+ on camera so far so should be an interesting year. Pretty excited about October because I took a 20 day vacation from work and ill probably hunt all 20 days lol.

We should decide on a name for our team, and maybe come up with an avatar we can put on our profiles?

wallhangr 08-19-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Huff04 (Post 3665270)
my name is Lewis and i am 24 been hunting 13 years and have kill 26 deer mostly by gun. I be hunting in Henderson county in IL on private land

Lewis, I grew up in the Galesburg area and my grandparents lived outside of Cameron. Small world!

Huff04 08-19-2010 02:06 PM

i live in galesburg

wallhangr 08-20-2010 06:35 AM

When does everyone's season start? Here in MO it's Sept 15th (wednesday), I'll be out that following weekend.

Lewis - I'll be back in the neighborhood Labor Day wknd for an ATV run - may have to hook up for a beverage!

fshafly2 08-20-2010 08:22 AM

Our bowseason will start in MD on 15 Sept and run through 31 Jan with intervening gun and ML seasons (fortunately, MD keeps the guns out of the main rut). I still go out with the bow while the men of iron are out and about, so I do not lose any hunting time. I've gotten picky about shooting bucks these last years, but will take several does to keep the freezer stocked - they are better eating, and horn soup is awfully thin anyway, lol.

-fsh

LittleChief 08-20-2010 08:59 AM

Mine doesn't start 'til 25 September. I could hunt with a friend of mine who lives in St. Louis, but his land near Iberia has some "unique" individuals living around it. Poaching is bad there. The last two years I visited we didn't see a single deer. I'll just wait until Tennessee opens.

Originally Posted by fshafly2 (Post 3666264)
horn soup is awfully thin anyway, lol.
-fsh

Maybe so, but I'll bet it tastes better than tag soup.:happy0001:

mammasboy 08-21-2010 03:53 PM

Hey everyone. Been a long time posting since I've joined. Let's take it home this year! Personal info: bow hunting 23 years, got a great wife, kids, and hunting spots; and not really a "mammasboy". Got a few good ones scoped out. Have a nice 8 visiting regularly. (Posted a pic of it in the trail camera section). Good luck everyone!

Huff04 08-22-2010 02:49 AM

here in IL we start Oct 1 and go till Jan 16.

i am going out of town labor day weekend

fshafly2 08-24-2010 02:42 AM

I went ahead and pm'd the 3 no-shows and asked them to log into the team thread.

I took my young wirehair doxie (Ruby) up to PA last week and got her officially certified for blood trailing ("UBT-I"). Certification is an independent assessment that is required in many states, but is not required in MD. Ruby and I are still on a learning curve working together - we sucessfully trailed 7 deer her first season last year, but many of those were easy tracks/found-deer for training purposes. Ruby did find two deer that could have easily been lost (pic is my wife & Ruby with a friend's buck that had a scant blood trail). Most of you all are too far away to where we can help track this season - keep me in mind Ed.

-fsh

LittleChief 08-24-2010 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by fshafly2 (Post 3668560)
Most of you all are too far away to where we can help track this season - keep me in mind Ed.

You mean you're not willing to drive to Tennessee to help a red/green colorblind teammate track a deer?:biggrin:

HuntingEd 08-24-2010 04:12 AM

Thanks Andy! Hopefullly my track jobs are easy this season!

Anybody thinking of a team name??

fshafly2 08-24-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by LittleChief (Post 3668580)
You mean you're not willing to drive to Tennessee to help a red/green colorblind teammate track a deer?:biggrin:

You can alway try to make it worth my while - and if it's a booner, I might not even charge :s13:.

:biggrin: fsh

HuntingEd 08-24-2010 05:36 AM

Finally got out to shoot the bow this weekend, it's been since late spring that I shot. I'm happy to report that I was shooting accurately out to 45 yds and my groups at 25 are less than 2". I've been using this bow since 05 and its like putting on a well worn pair of shoes. Still need to practice, but not like I used to... I will be refletching my arrows and getting my quiver ready over the next few weeks. We just moved in May and I need to get my workbench set up for arrow building...

I'll upload some trail cam photos here soon...

wallhangr 08-24-2010 07:05 AM

I've been shooting off and on for about a month now when the temps haven't been above 90. After the first day or two getting the muscles back in shape everything is looking good.

But it looks like I'm buying another bow I just can't pass up. I've had my eye on an '09 Diamond Marquis which will probably be on it's way home soon!

LittleChief 08-24-2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingEd (Post 3668586)
Anybody thinking of a team name??

It's not my strong suit. I'd be perfectly happy keeping the team name and avatar you're currently using and just changing the zero to a one.

I do think that you're gonna be the team captain though.

whacker 08-24-2010 10:13 AM

Hello everyone....I was on vacation all week and just got back to the computer. My name is Matt I'm 27. Ive been bowhunting for a few years and hunting since i was 12. I mainly hunt Public land on the Eastern Shore of MD and a private family farm in PA. I live on the eastern shore. I see we have a few other MD guys on the team. I entered an 8 pt for my team last year. Work generally slows down in the fall and I can managed to hunt 4 or 5 days a week usually before or after work. Hope everyone has a good season. I know im ready for the 15th.

HuntingEd 08-24-2010 10:26 AM

Welcome aboard Matt! I hunt mostly on the northern eastern shore, but also do a fair amount of hunting in VA. What part of the shore you live on?

hmthtrfan 08-25-2010 08:29 AM

Hey guys, sory for the late reply, been on vacation, then had a motherinlaw gallblatter disaster.

Hows things?

LittleChief 08-25-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by hmthtrfan (Post 3669511)
Hey guys, sory for the late reply, been on vacation, then had a motherinlaw gallblatter disaster.

Hows things?

Ouch! Sounds like a tough ordeal to endure. Things are great on my end. Bow season is getting close and I'm getting anxious. My wife would call it "fidgety". I can't help it - it's in my blood.

fshafly2 08-25-2010 05:25 PM

Ditto on the MIL issues - hope it all comes out for the best hmthtrfan. Welcome to XI! (How does your handle translate - home theater fan)?

I have been working on getting fall plots into the ground. I'm putting in 3 plots on my farm (finished 2) and 8 plots on the local military base (finished 4). Lots of work, but I tell the wife it keeps me out of the bars, lol.

Ed - I am beginning to find some whiteoaks dropping prematurely now (green acorns); it looks like the whiteoaks are going to do well around here.

-fsh

LittleChief 08-25-2010 06:43 PM

I'll be doing most of my food plot work on my 1200 acre lease this Saturday. I'm looking forward to the chance to get up there and do some scouting as well. This will be my first year in this lease and there are some spots that the locals say haven't been hunted by anyone in ages. My terrain maps show a GREAT looking east-west saddle in a major north-south ridge and sight-unseen, it's where I plan on hunting. It's a 3/4 mile hike from the end of the nearest trail so it's pretty secluded. Sounds great to me. I hope it looks good....

wallhangr 08-26-2010 08:09 AM

Anyone come up with an idea for a team name yet?

HuntingEd 08-26-2010 08:41 AM

Andy - I was noticing the same thing last night, our big red oak tree was dropping some green acorns, they looked sizeable... Looks like I'll be hunting my favorite oak, honey hole on opening weekend!!

I'm taking a few days off next week to work food plots, we'll be putting in buck forage oats and/or something else for a fall planting... not sure what else to put in? I'm thinking of beets?

As far as team names... not sure, struggling here, but I'll throw some out:
11 Point Madness
The XI Factor

fshafly2 08-26-2010 11:11 AM

Ed
I mixed dwarf essex rape (DER) and red clover in with winter oats, and deer liked the mix last year. The red clover was browsed this summer. This year, I am experimenting with a few small plots of groundhog raddish (Welter Seed) - the forage raddishes are getting a good press. A friend who tried them last year said that deer hammered them.

-fsh

HuntingEd 08-26-2010 11:19 AM

Interesting ideas Andy! - Emailed you some questions to not hijack our thread...

wallhangr 08-26-2010 03:45 PM

Did a quick search looking for some help with a name, this is about all I could find:

The number 11 is thought of as a "master" number in numerology because it is a double digit of the same number. When this occurs - the vibrational frequency of the prime number doubles in power. Meaning, the attributes of the Number One are doubled.

LittleChief 08-27-2010 04:28 AM

Then there's shooting craps:

"A come-out roll of 7 or 11 (a "natural") results in a win for "pass line" bets."

fshafly2 08-27-2010 05:46 AM

11 could represent a spike buck - how about The Spikes?

whacker 08-27-2010 06:08 AM

Huntinged, I hunt mostly the midshore and some of the lowershore. I wish I had the land around here to put down food plots. I hunt swampland about 80% of the time.

wallhangr 08-27-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by LittleChief (Post 3670829)
Then there's shooting craps:

"A come-out roll of 7 or 11 (a "natural") results in a win for "pass line" bets."

That gives me an idea, "Natural Bone Killers" ?

HuntingEd 08-27-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by wallhangr (Post 3671051)
"Natural Bone Killers"

Love it!!!!

LittleChief 08-27-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingEd (Post 3671055)
Love it!!!!

That's perfect! Okay, provided no-one objects, who's designing an avatar?

wallhangr 08-29-2010 03:52 AM

Never messed with avatars myself, anyone else??

dubcee 08-29-2010 05:13 AM

sounds like a good name to me! :party0005: