Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team Pneumothorax #8 Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some nice bucks Peak and Mbmrang! Mbmrang, that's an interesting feeder you've got there. I always wanted to make a gravity feeder that I didn't have to refill as often and don't have to worry about batteries. I've used the PVC strapped to a tree before but they run out pretty fast. I like the idea of hanging the bucket with the PVC "down spout". Does it work as well as it looks like it would?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

The feeder works very well. We had used the pvc and the wye connection for several years now. Then we found one with a toilet flange and bucket attached to it. We were thinking, wow, that is a great idea. We built one out sch 40 and then we found a toilet flange to fit to sch 35. Dropped the price to less than $14 for a whole setup. We have been tweaking the setup to maximize usage by only the deer. Racoons can be very acrobatic. The top is just a cattle feeder trough that had gone bad and we cut a piece to make a teeter toter of sorts. That has really helped. Now we just have to figure out how to stop the squirrels from eating the bucket and lid. During the early to mid summer we have to fill it every 1 1/2 weeks or so. Now, about every 3 to 4 weeks, but we had several deer there everynight and an occasional coon that would rake the corn out to the ground for his buddies. Actually we took it down last weekend since bow season starts in JUST 5 DAYS!

I can draw up some plans and a parts list if you need one.

Thanks.

Last edited by mbmrang; 09-10-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Had the same problem with squirrels.. have since started using metal drum tripods with a timed feeder. I enclosed the feeder unit with 1/2" sq fencing to keep the coons and squirrels out of it and with the solar charger I fill the feeder and leave it for 3 months at a time (when other food sources available) with a 55 gal drum holding around 300 # of corn. This works nice on our leases in other states where travelling there every couple weeks is not an option. We fill them 6 times a year because we set the timers to dump more corn during the winter months.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well folks, one week from today I will be in the woods. I plan on a morning and evening hunt that day while hunting pretty much every morning and some evenings as well after that. State wide here in TN opens the 25th, but we have a WMA that I hunt a great deal that opens a week early. I will be out of town this weekend, so I will have to wait til Monday to get out there. I have 8 different locations picked out that I want to hunt several times each on this 14,000 acre WMA up through mid October. After that, I will primarily hunt private land. Seen a few bruisers out there this year...hopefully one of them becomes home decor/supper soon!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

its good to see someone from this part of the state. lets see if we cant do some good down here. I get to start tomorrow in evansville.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Bartender

Well team my bow limb cracked about 3 inches this past Tuesday so hopefully limbsaver will be covering that. Stay tuned!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh man! They better get that fixed pronto! Good luck today, chillin!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

mbmrang,

a parts list and plans would be great if you don't mind!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Bartender

Alright i sent the bow into limbsaver to be fixed and thank gosh for the kind hunters over at forums.bowhunting.com for letting me use a bow until I get mine back.
We should be proud of ourselves that is for sure as hunters.

Also Diesell77 (Andy) owner of www.ultimatecamo.com has hooked us up with a discount code

T

Last edited by peakrut; 09-16-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

season starts in 29 days i have been looking forward to each day that bow season comes closer been dealing with family problems kinda hard to concentrate when you have that on your mind but bowhunting is the light at the end of the tunnel thank god i dont kno what i would do with out bowhunting.
this addiction has got me good and hooked for life any one else agree??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.