HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-bowhunting-contest-118/)
-   -   Team 14 Official Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-bowhunting-contest/327906-team-14-official-thread.html)

Doubled 150 11-01-2010 07:39 AM

I was able to contribute to the team this weekend. I took down a buck that I have quite a few pics of since late spring.

It was youth season here in MO this past weekend. I didn't plan on bowhunting because I planned on taking my 7 year old boy out to try and get his first deer. I didn't imagine him killing one the first morning out. He made a perfect shot with his .223. We saw his deer go down about 20 yards from where he shot it but I wanted him to find the position where he shot it and follow the blood trail. I looked down where he shot it and there was the bottom half of the heart laying on the ground. I've never seen that before. I've seen lung splatter, but never a chunk of the heart. Notice the chunk of the heart laying by the deer's front hoof. Here's Drew and his button buck.

So that gives me the opportunity to hunt on Sunday morning. At 8:00, I saw a doe and a couple fawns move through about 70 yards from me. It was quiet for the next couple hours. At 10:00, I decided to get down because my in-laws were visiting from out of town. I packed my stuff into my backpack, put it on, lowered my bow and as I was undoing my safety strap from the tree, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A doe. I quickly pulled my bow back up and nocked an arrow just in case. I still had my backpack on. Sure enough, here comes "Kickback" chasing the doe. Within 20 yards, they ran past me and back again. Every time the buck would stop there would be something blocking my shot. Finally, as they passed me for the third time, I was able to get the buck to stop. He was 4 paces off the base of my tree. There was a limb partially blocking my shot. I had to lean way to the left to just miss the limb and still get into the lungs. I pulled it off. The arrow hit high on the right side and exited low on the left side. As he ran away, I could see blood pouring out of his left side. He ran about 60 yards and fell over. I was a little disappointed when I got up to him. He broke off a 4 or 5 inch kicker coming off the base of his right main beam that went back over his neck. That's where the name "Kickback" came from. He ended up grossing 128-1/8". With the kickback point and the other half of one browtine he broke off, he would have been in the mid-130's. I thought he would have been close to 140" based on the pics I had of him. Oh well, I'm still happy. Here's a few pics of him and me.

A close up of his Kickback point.

A field shot where he went down.

Me and Kickback.

Boogeyman24 11-01-2010 09:28 AM

way to go doubled!! that's really cool that you get all the pictures and come back and get the deer, especially with them running all over now. congrats on the great buck!! team 14 starting to heat up!

I have off work friday, so i'm hoping to contribute this weekend. brother missed a dandy out of one of the stands i plan on hunting this weekend, hopefully he didn't stir things up much! GL everybody who's still hunting!

Doubled 150 11-01-2010 01:24 PM

FF/EMT - Great buck. Love the mass all the way out. Sweet!

Let's keep the momentum going boys. There's a lot of good trailcam pics posted on this thread. Let's see some of those deer with your mugs behind them.

Good luck to all!

SIDEWAYS 11-01-2010 03:17 PM

Awesome Bucks FF/EMT and Doubled!
Glad to see us get on the board but nowhere near as glad to see a young hunter get his first deer!!!!
A BIG congratulations goes out to Drew :party:

I was able to get out Saturday and did not see anything.

I am hunting a new lease and had not been seeing much sign until Saturday when we came across a couple of scrapes and a few rubs on small saplings.
Weather is cooling off as well so maybe a sign of things to come.

jake1818 11-01-2010 06:04 PM

Congrats Doubled, thats a great deer! Awesome job with your son gettin his first deer too! Good stuff!

Ill be out fri-sun this weekend. Deer were movin pretty good last weekend, but i think it will be alot better this coming weekend!

Good Luck!

FF/EMT 11-01-2010 10:43 PM

Congrats Doubled great looking buck!! Looks like you had a pretty proud little guy as well, congrats to Him!!

Good Luck to the rest of you guys! Slug season starts here this weekend so my bowhunting is pretty much done until maybe later in December.

Boogeyman24 11-04-2010 01:12 PM

soooooooooooooo pumped for this weekend. tomorrow off work, i'll be in the stand as much as possible and i can't wait. good luck to everyone, hopefully we can put a few down this weekend while they're running!
weather by me is exactly what i've hoped for all year:

now 43F
7am tomorrow 24F
11am 33F
5pm 40F
Sat 7am 27F

awesome. man i am pumped right now.

Doubled 150 11-05-2010 05:48 AM

There are going to be a whole lot of deer put down this weekend.

I'm done bowhunting until after firearms season. We get two archery bucks in MO but only one before firearms season. Yesterday evening I drove up to the farm and glassed the fields and woodlines. Saw "Hoss", a 135" 9-point, checking a scrape and another buck I've never seen before, a wide 10-point maybe pushing 150". He was running a ridge line.

I wish I was out there right now. Good luck everyone.

SIDEWAYS 11-05-2010 05:16 PM

I will be out all day tomorrow, should be a great day even though we have not been seeing alot of deer.

Boogeyman24 11-08-2010 02:49 PM

well nothing this weekend for me... nothing in bow range for the last 3 days! that's how it goes but kinda a bummer considering how perfect the conditions seemed to be. i did see a massive 10 point, but was with a bedded doe and they never came near me, he was 150+ for sure, i'd say conservatively 20" wide, 10" tines and thick the whole way. actually had another guy get a picture on his cuddeback on the same ridge the day before, guess he wasn't moving too far (or bedding in the same area).

Brother shot a little 3 pointer (he's 12 - first deer with a bow!) and dad hit a nice one but must have hit the shoulder or leg bone or something - arrow shattered to 3 pieces and maybe an inch of arrow with the broadhead wasn't found - not a drop of blood anywhere. it's gun season in 2 weeks, i always plan on trying to go out during late season but who knows if it will happen at all. we'll see i guess. good luck to everyone!

zs93 11-08-2010 05:57 PM

I had all week off last week and I passed up alot of 1.5 and 2.5 year olds but got nothing for us. Hopefully I can get out some more before gun season but if not I can still score one late season. Good luck to all still going out and good work to those that have scored.

jake1818 11-09-2010 07:01 AM

Was out all last weekend fri-sun, and it was very slow for me here in northern wi. Hopefully that was the calm before the storm. Ill be out sat-mon this weekend, and also ill be hunting a chunk of land here in GB not far from campus, so ill try to get out there a couple times! Good luck everyone!

jjones 11-12-2010 12:04 PM

Just got back from our annual camping trip at the farm. We killed 2 bucks and 3 does. I killed this one on 11-5-10 I will have to get an official measurment but I hit him with the rackulator and he went 151 2/8

Boogeyman24 11-12-2010 02:23 PM

NICE BUCK! way to go man, he looks super super heavy, big body as well! looking forward to the story, good luck to anyone going out this weekend...

jake1818 11-12-2010 02:25 PM

jjones awesome buck and congrats, def a trophy! I was out this morning and tonight saw two young bucks and multiple does. This colder weather is startin to be good!

Doubled 150 11-12-2010 04:26 PM

Great buck jjones! Beautiful deer. Congrats.

Let's put some more down boys and win this thing.

SIDEWAYS 11-13-2010 08:52 AM

Awesome Buck JJ!!!!!!
Can't wait to hear the story as well
:happy0001:

I am on vacation the next 2 weeks and plan on being in the woods more than not.

jake1818 11-15-2010 05:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well guys, I missed on the shot at the biggest buck of my life. Im pretty dissapointed right now, but i guess thats hunting. He came in 20 yards broadside, and i had some buck fever going on and missed clean low. He ran about 30 yards, not wavin the white flag, and then continued to walk to the edge of the field about 80 yards away. I had forgot my grunt tube in the truck that morning(go figure), so i snort weezed at him, and he started coming back, i thought thank you! But he stopped about 45 yards away and stood there lookin around. He then went in the woods to my right and i could still see him and he was behind a thicket, so i snort weezed again. He continued walking and i thought he was going to circle down wind of me so I waited for about 20 min and he never came back in. He never rose the white flag and ran so i dont think he was spooked, just confused. Do you think hell be back? The first pic is of him. On a better note though, I have a new 10pt buck in thats a dandy so hopefully ill get a crack at him(2nd pic). Gun season starts saturday so i wont be able to bow hunt until gun season is over. Good Luck everyone!

Doubled 150 11-15-2010 06:39 AM

jake-

Nice looking buck. He'll still be around the area. I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully he makes it through gun season. Good luck with him.

DD

SIDEWAYS 11-16-2010 05:01 AM

Jake, what doubled said!

SIDEWAYS 11-17-2010 05:03 AM

Any numbers yet JJ?

16 point 11-17-2010 07:22 AM

Nice buck jjones !

Well guys, I just got back from Kansas . The hunting was tough this year and I really wasn't seeing the big bucks like I normally do. The few big ones I did see were feeding in fields at night and didn't seem to be really interested in the rut. I did manage to tag a mature buck near the end of my hunt so I'll post the score in the scoring thread. He scores 142 6/8.

Congrats FF/emt and Doubled 150 on your bucks...awesome

Boogeyman24 11-17-2010 05:15 PM

Great buck 16 point!!! He sure looks like he is a gnarly old guy - lots of points and character everywhere! I wouldn't think twice about putting an arrow in him, how wide is he? 11 points? Congrats!

Don't sweat it Jake, happens to all of us. With any luck he's still around, or you'll get a crack at that sweet looking 10 point you have.

It's gun season for me this weekend, hoping to get out some late season bowhunting but wouldn't be at least until the 2nd weekend in december. Good luck to everyone out there!!!

ksfowler 11-18-2010 08:34 AM

Great deer jjones, and 16 point!
I put up a stand in a new location two days ago we have been seeing some really nice bucks there the past couple days. When we go the stand up we were cutting some limbs to get a small shooting lane and when I went around the tree to cut a couple limbs off I look down the tree row and standing not 70yds was an easy 160 class deer looking right at us. He stood there for about a minute and turned and trotted off into the trees. We cut one more limb and got out of there. I hunted it that evening and saw two bucks one being a 140-150" 10pt. I couldn't tell what the other one was since i was looking right into the sun. Neither one were even close to being in range. The next time i go I am going to do some rattling. This place is loaded with sign. Nearly every sapling is completely destroyed, and any low hanging limb has a scrape under it. Good luck to any one going out!

jake1818 11-18-2010 02:05 PM

congrats 16point! Thats a sweet lookin buck!

SIDEWAYS 11-20-2010 04:22 PM

Very Nice buck 16pt!
Kansas did you well :cool2:
Your deer currently puts us in 3rd place.
Once JJ officially enters his deer we will jump to 2nd (at least for the moment)

Nice Job everyone!

SIDEWAYS 11-25-2010 03:57 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

jjones 11-30-2010 04:03 AM

I will try to hurry up and get my scores up asap

FF/EMT 12-01-2010 08:17 PM

Great deer guys!!

SIDEWAYS 12-08-2010 03:45 PM

Anyone having any late season success?
I'm not, went out last Saturday and had 2 small does and a b/buck come around but held out hoping something bigger was following them.

Boogeyman24 12-08-2010 06:03 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been out yet... probably won't until after christmas either

SIDEWAYS 12-18-2010 06:03 PM

Boogeyman, keep us posted!
I have not been out much, work has been super busy.

SIDEWAYS 12-31-2010 04:05 PM

You need at least 10 characters to bump!

Boogeyman24 01-03-2011 03:07 PM

anyone been out at all? I haven't gotten out, am hoping that i might get out saturday for a sit, but depends on if i'll have to work or not. last day of bow season is jan 9th in wi, it'd be cold but might be worth it!!

jjones 01-06-2011 06:39 AM

I just posted my score looks like we are in 3rd, not to bad!

SIDEWAYS 01-11-2011 05:15 PM

Hopefully I will be getting out over the next couple of weekends for a late hunt. Maryland bow season closes January 31st.

Other than the early season doe I took, it has been a really slow year just seeing deer much less a buck.

Boogeyman24 01-11-2011 06:49 PM

good luck sideways! I actually got out last weekend, saw a couple does but that was it. 0 degree temps and about 2 feet of snow made it interesting to say the least, although i feel like every deer for miles probably heard me trek to my stand.

3rd place not bad at all, congrats to all those who scored, sorry i didn't put one on the board!

SIDEWAYS 01-31-2011 09:23 AM

Thanks Boogey man, have not had any luck but heading out this afternoon for one last shot.
take care