HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-bowhunting-contest-118/)
-   -   Team 14 Official Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-bowhunting-contest/327906-team-14-official-thread.html)

SIDEWAYS 09-14-2010 04:34 PM

Just a reminder about the rules for your picture.

7. You must have a pictured posted on the contest page within the Official Score Card thread to enter a deer. The bow must be in the picture and the entire deer must be in the picture, no skull pictures, no rack pictures...the buck, the bow, and yourself must be in the picture.....call me skeptical. This rule will be enforced this year, no exceptions with no apologies.

A link to the entire list of contest rules.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010...est-rules.html

Good Luck, have fun and most of all stay safe! :party:

SIDEWAYS 09-17-2010 06:56 AM

Anyone having any luck?

Boogeyman24 09-17-2010 02:39 PM

tomorrow is opener in WI, i'm hoping opening day can score the first kill for my Z7!!! Best of luck everyone who's going out this weekend!

FF/EMT 09-17-2010 03:27 PM

MN opens tomorrow as well. Not going to make it out for a morning hunt but will deffinately be in the stand in the evening. Good luck everyone!

16 point 09-17-2010 07:31 PM

Good luck guys...........

Boogeyman24 09-20-2010 06:06 PM

well nothing down for me but an eventful evening. saw at least 7 different bucks, it was the little ones coming close and the big ones staying away. saw a real nice 8 but just out of range, exciting first weekend for sure! had a cousin get a nice 9 point and another cousin hit one but couldn't find him, i'll try to post pics soon.

how is everyone else doing?

jake1818 09-20-2010 06:56 PM

saw a couple smaller bucks and some does, no big guys yet but they will come!

SIDEWAYS 09-21-2010 04:01 PM

Season opened on the 15th and still trying to get out!
Saturday is looking pretty good right now.

:action-smiley-099:

Boogeyman24 09-21-2010 06:49 PM

My cousin's wedding is this weekend, so I might be able to sneak a hunt in friday or sunday this weekend, I guess we'll see. Here are a couple pics, not too much action on the cameras yet, hopefully it picks up!

This is the buck my cousin shot, 9 point with long main beams:

Bobcat, I'd love to see him out in the woods:

I'd like to see this bad boy too!

FF/EMT 09-21-2010 08:10 PM

I made it out for a sit on Saturday night, saw a few does and heard a bunch more but couldnt see them with all of the foliage, I'm gonna have to move the stands a bit into better position.

Doubled 150 09-27-2010 07:34 AM

Been out a couple times so far. I have to make an adjustment to my plan of attack. My neighbor has CRP fields to the north of our farm where the deer have been bedding. We have 3 acres of standing corn and a 15 acre alfalfa field on the south side of our farm where the deer come to feed. I've got 3 small food plots stationed between the CRP and the primary food source. The plan was to intercept the deer as they stopped for an appetizer at one of the small plots before heading to the main course. The first time I went out, I jumped the buck in the pic below, as he was bedded not 40 yards from one of my stands. Why the heck was he bedded there? Well, it turns out, my neighbor has mowed his CRP fields. Now the deer are bedding in our woods between my hunting plots and the corn/alfalfa field. Yesterday, I hunted in a set that's hung between where I jumped the deer the first time out and the standing corn. He gave me the slip again. He has evidently altered his travel route because he was spotted in the alfalfa field right before dark with another good buck. I think I'll be able to get out there Wednesday evening. If so, I'm going to setup right between the corn and alfalfa. Hopefully he'll show up before dark and I can get us on the board.

Hope you all are doing well. Good luck.

Boogeyman24 09-28-2010 02:35 PM

Good to hear people are getting out. I was out a couple times last weekend, saw deer again so that' encouraging. Right at dark there was a big bodied buck chasing some other deer around, then came and stood broadside in a shooting lane. It was a big mature deer but just too dark to see how big his antlers were, i was drawn on him but couldn't let the arrow fly. Anyways good to see bucks, hopefully the trend continues and you guys are seeing them, good luck to everyone!

jake1818 09-29-2010 08:19 AM

hey guys, ill be out this weekend fri-mon morning, hopin to see something big!

zs93 09-29-2010 06:07 PM

Hey guys it's Zs93 checking in, hope Im not too late. Im in Wisconsin so only been out a couple times, nothing serious so far. I will check in more often....

Doubled 150 09-30-2010 05:51 AM

Went out yesterday. No luck catching up to the buck I'm after pictured above. I wasn't able to hunt on Tuesday evening because my wife had something going on and I had to watch the kids. My uncle stopped by the house and said he saw two big bucks in the alfalfa field where I planned to hunt next time out.....on Wednesday!

Times running out to still catch them in the normal routines before their hormone levels really change their patterns. Can't hunt again until Sunday. Hopefully I can catch him then.

SIDEWAYS 10-01-2010 02:29 PM

I was able to get out Weds evening. Did not see anything but it was good to get out.
Looks like sometime next will be the earliest I can get back out.
Good luck everyone and stay safe!

jake1818 10-01-2010 03:56 PM

was out this morning and saw a young fork and a doe, still waitin for the big guy

FF/EMT 10-02-2010 12:35 AM

Made it out Wed morning and had my best sit of the year so far. Had 7 does within 15 yards and had 2 different bucks come in, one of which was a about a 125 inch 3 year old that I have a bunch of trail cam photos of. I was quite suprised, he grew in person, Cant wait to see the big boys I have on cam :)

zs93 10-02-2010 04:30 PM

Hey guys I've been out a couple times here in Wisconsin. I have 400+ acres in Buffalo county and another small property close to home so I am hoping to score some points for us. Looks like some of you guys have your eye's on some pretty nice one's too. Good luck and look forward to us getting on the board.

Boogeyman24 10-04-2010 06:54 PM

^^ Hey I'm in Buffalo County too!:party0005:

Seems like we have quite a few people here in the Midwest, we better get to work soon! I'm going out this weekend, it's just youth hunt so we have to wear orange in the tree :s6:

Doubled 150 10-05-2010 05:32 AM

I went out Sunday evening. No luck with any of the bucks we've been seeing. I did hammer this old doe that was the most skittish deer I've ever seen. I've seen her several times over the past few years but never had a chance to take her. She would walk through the woods a step at a time, nose in the air, head turning, ears forward, foot stomp, then trot 30 or 40 yards and do her routine again. I've never seen her relaxed. If there were any other deer in the area, she always made them nervous. Well, this time her trot happened to stop about 6 steps from my tree. She was a good one to take.

Probably won't get back out until the weekend. Good luck to everyone.

Boogeyman24 10-08-2010 01:45 PM

Nice Doubled. I'm hoping this weekend I can at least test out the new setup on a doe, but if like last time there's bucks around I'm not going to complain:barmy:

Downside is that it's youth hunt weekend, so while bowhunters can still take a buck you have to wear orange in the tree... and next weekend's t-zone so even if you hunt with a bow it's doe only. crappy. oh well try to make the most of it this weekend, the season's going by quick!

good luck to everyone who's going out this week/weekend!

SIDEWAYS 10-10-2010 03:42 PM

Any update guys?
I've been out a couple evenings, seen one button buck.
It's been real slow around here.

Boogeyman24 10-11-2010 05:59 PM

pretty slow this weekend, it didn't help that it got up to 83 degrees. One 6pt below my stand was the only buck sighted for me. Won't get out this weekend, hopefully the bucks will start moving the weekend after that.

I did see the bobcat that was on one of my trail cams, it was right at first light and it chased down a rabbit. pretty cool to see.

hopefully it picks up for all you guys!

jake1818 10-11-2010 07:49 PM

Ill be going out this weekend, it looks like it will cool down a bit which will be nice!

SIDEWAYS 10-14-2010 04:13 AM

I was able to get out last night, did have a small rack 5 point come in and mill around my stand for 10 minutes.
Hopefully I will be out this weekend as well, sounds like we have alot of rain moving in so who knows.
Stay Safe

Doubled 150 10-14-2010 06:13 AM

My uncle called me yesterday late morning. He's got a sweet place tucked back in the woods overlooking about a 100 acre hillside of wood strips and CRP. He said he saw three bucks moving through in the morning and it looked like early rut activity and that I needed to get out there this evening. That's all I needed for an excuse to leave work an hour early.

I saw two small bucks cruising the woods. One moving through a couple hours before dusk and the other moving through right at dusk. They did look "rutty". Hopefully the more mature bucks will start kicking it in here shortly as well.

GLTA.

FF/EMT 10-16-2010 10:04 AM

Well I havnt made it out much in the last couple weeks, been busy helping the faimly farm on my days off of work. Hopefully going to get out tomorrow night.

ksfowler 10-16-2010 05:54 PM

I am going to try and make it out some morning this week. I picked up a new Hoyt Maxxis 31 Tuesday. Man is that ever a sweet shooting bow. So I am really looking forward to getting my first deer with it.

jake1818 10-17-2010 07:08 AM

have been out since friday morning and have seen a couple does, and a basket 8. has anyone tried an light rattling with any luck yet?

SIDEWAYS 10-17-2010 09:07 AM

That's awesome KSFowler, good luck with the new bow!
Jake I have not tried rattling yet but did hit my can a couple times yesterday morning. Shot a doe an hour or so later.

Boogeyman24 10-20-2010 03:59 PM

gl with the new bow! I'm going out this weekend, and now of course they're calling for rain! oh well make the best of it, can't believe we're through the better part of october already. have a few trail cams out too so hopefully they've gotten some good pics in the last couple weeks. last time i went out i did see the bobcat that showed up on one of the cams, and watching him chase down a rabbit which was really cool. now we just need the bucks to start moving!

ksfowler 10-21-2010 06:32 PM

Well I have my bow shooting bullet holes at 20 yds. I still have not gotten out yet. I think I will give it a go Sat. Morning. It is finally suppose to cool off next week. The deer should really start moving.

Doubled 150 10-26-2010 01:16 PM

It's a little after 4:00 and I just climbed up in my stand. Hung my "rut hunting" stand earlier this afternoon and I'm giving it a go. Checked my cameras as well. I'll post those in the morning. A few pretty cool pics. Hopefully I'll have some pics with me behind something as well. ;)

Boogeyman24 10-26-2010 06:04 PM

hope the night went well doubled. Any one having any luck? I was out this past weekend, but it was crappy weather. in the 60's and rainy... not the best. did see a couple bucks, including an 8 walking right under my stand that was just a bit too small. got some nice pics from the cams in the past couple weeks, hopefully can catch up with one of these guys soon...

ksfowler 10-26-2010 06:16 PM

Those are some great deer. There necks are really starting to swell up. Good luck with them.

Doubled 150 10-27-2010 06:13 AM

No luck yesterday evening with any of the bucks I'm after. Saw a single doe....that's it.

Here's the pics I mentioned. It's two of the of the bucks I'm after. I call the typical 9 point on the right "Hoss". The one on the left we call "Kickback" because he has a 5" kicker off the base of his left mainbeam that goes back over his neck. I've never seen these two together before until now. They are in a little food plot and my stand is about 6 yards from where they are.

Here's Kickback coming across the same food plot in the morning. My food plots are looking terrible. Monday was the first rain we've gotten in over 6 weeks. Hopefully they will still come out a little more with the 1/2" rain we got.

Our land borders I-55. A hunting buddy of mine lives on 140 acres directly on the other side of the interstate from our farm. He was out last and said he saw a big nontypical that he's never seen before. He said the mainbeams went straight up, were heavy with junk every where. He also caught this one on his cam. We call him Mr. Clean because he is a clean 8 point. So, we've got 4 pretty good bucks right around the area. Hopefully I'll get a crack at one of them.

FF/EMT 10-29-2010 06:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well guys were on the board! I put one down last night, not one of the biggest ones that I had on camera, but a good one none the less.
I got permission about a week and a half ago to hunt some private land that borders a State Park that is off limits to hunting except for 2 days a year. So for the past few days i had been spending time over there trying to figure out the deer movement but was just getting frustrated. I had put my cams out and it seemed the deer were just moving through this area after dark. So i sat there yesterday (10/28) ,morning and saw a small buck, deciding this was just getting me more and more frustrated i opted to pack and and move back to the property i had been hunting up and till now, with the rut starting to spool up i figured I knew right where to go. So i got moved and was back in the stand by about 1pm. At 230 i had a doe come trotting through, she looked like something could have been chasing her but there wasnt anything behind her, I did notice the trail she came in on and realized i had no shooting lane to where she had come through. After waiting an hour or so after the doe came through a small 1.5 old buck came through at about 7 yards. for some reason the fact that I could not shoot at the trail the doe had come down earlier was really eating at me, so i did some glassing and couldnt see anything coming so i climed down and cut down 3 sapplings so I could shoot out to that trail. After climbing back up and having several other yearlings and small bucks come through about 530 i looked to my right and seen this buck coming. I thought he might be the same buck I have passed on a few times already this year in the same stand, after quickly glassing him i realized it wasnt, much longer tines and he appeared to have heavy main beams. He was coming on a very brisk walk and didnt give me much time to decide, but i made up my mind and decided he was worthy of an arrow. The buck kept coming towards me and now was on the same trail the doe had come down, at 25 yards (right where i had cut down the sapplings) i gave the buck a grunt and and he stopped, I let an arrow fly and it struck him perfectly with the arrow passing cleanly through. The buck turned arround and ran about 35 yards before he slammed into a fallen log and thats where he stopped. He deffinatley isnt the biggest buck in that area but with my vacation winding down and slug season fast approaching I am glad I made the decision i did. He is a main frame 8 with a kicker off of his left G2 and a crab claw at the end of his main beam, but it wasnt quite an inch so it doesnt count. He ended up grossing 134 1/8 and is only a little over 15 inches inside.

Boogeyman24 10-29-2010 07:05 PM

great buck man! I'd have let an arrow fly as well, looks like lots of mass and character on that guy. Congrats man way to get us on the board! That's crazy that with all the moving around and everything things worked out just perfect. What a decision to cut those limbs huh? great story to tell behind a great buck man!!

jake1818 10-29-2010 07:12 PM

awesome buck man and a great story too! good work!