Community

Team #8 " Loaded for Bear "

Old 04-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Team #8 " Loaded for Bear "

One of our very own members, ZachCL, generously invited me to hunt with him this weekend. Yesterday evening we roosted a gobbler and noted his location so we could set up on him in the morning. After we got set up this morning the action was slow at first, but it got heated up really quick . We were sitting in the blind and talking about nothing important when suddenly Zach looks up and says "There they are!". I look up to see a tom and 5 hens RUNNING toward the dekes. The turkeys came within 10 yards of the blind, but they worked around our South side (where we couldn't get a shot ).

Here he is in the thick grass...laughing at us

When they wandered off we ditched the blind and went after them run'n'gun style. We were able to get in their path, but only the hens got close enough, the tom stayed 60 yards away. We went back to the truck and gathered our thoughts. After some rest we went after him one more time.

We walked into the same area and Zach hit his call, and we heard a gobble in the distance. We worked toward it as close as we dared and set up the blind and dekes. He stareted responding pretty well to the calls and we could tell he was getting closer. About 20 minutes later Zach spotted him on a hill about 80 yards away. He hit the call, the tom spotted the dekes, and he began to close the gap. He walked toward us with a cedar tree inbetween us the whole time. When he finally stepped out from behind the tree, he was at 20 yards and I thwacked him. He immediatly flopped over and was dead within seconds.

It was an awesome hunt

Stats
Beard: 8 5/8"
Spurs: 1 1/2" & 1 1/4"
Weight: 24 lbs.

Your score is 24 + 15 + 12.5 + 17.25 = 68.75
Check out these hooks

Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome hunt story and a great score as well, thanks for sharing and the inspuration to get us all geeked up.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome job Will! Chalk two up for the Wills!

Holy

Mine will go in the book with a 51.0625 score. I'll post the story in the morning (my butt's dragging from the drive home).

Holy moly on the spurs Will! Congrats buddy!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default RE: Team #8 check in Thread

Went out this weekend and the birds got the best of us. We had 2 nice toms together come in yesterday, we had too many windows open on the blind, and they saw me and putted and were gone b4 Emily could even shoot. Well, Emily couldn't roll out today, so I went by myself this am. I wasn't set up over 10 minutes, and this guy came in silently. I heard no gobbling this am. The Spitfire Gobbler getter anchored him right where he was shot. As I stood on his neck and praised God for the success, 2 more toms came walking in. Then as I was doing a photo shoot, 1 more came in. No gobbling what so ever this am; not even while on roost. 20 yd shot. Dead bird at 6:18 am. Very impressed with the Gobbler getter head. Went in his back and put a nasty hole in him without the arrow leaving his body, but the head exited the front of his chest. He barely flopped after the shot. 7/8" spurs, 9 1/2" beard, 24 lbs

Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Three out of five so far ... thats really good , thanks Hardcore , iamyourhuckleberry and OKbowhunter20.
That just leaves Hick442 and myself to score on a bird , my hunt starts next week and I'm sure I'll be able to tag one before it ends May 6th.
My congrats to the three of you , great job on getting us the score card.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM

We're hot right now!!

Congrats hardcore and huck. Those are both awesome birds.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Don! IDK, it looks like that beard might be closer to 10 inches from the photo. It's based on the longest strand and there's one in there that's look well beyond 9.5. You might want to check that. Your spurs look longer than 7/8 also -could be the angle of the shot. Anywho, NICE bird!

Loaded for bear...we gottem right where we want em!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Thanks guys and congrats to you too!!! Will, you are probably right and I was just being conservative.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sort of an interesting thought...

We only need a Gould's and Osceola to have an intrasquad turkey slam. So Richard and Isaac, who's going where? No pressure....LOL, good luck guys.

Will and Don, it's up to the three of us to cheer from the sideline...."GO TEAM"! I let the returning champs know we're on their six!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a 3 dog fight now. Team 16is on both our 6s withtwo big birds on the board now. WCL

Quick Reply: Team #8 " Loaded for Bear "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.