HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team Dead Horse Posse thread (20) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300951-official-team-dead-horse-posse-thread-20-a.html)

blakefrautschi 08-18-2009 06:27 PM

Official Team Dead Horse Posse thread (20)

Official Team 20

alt tkycaller
175 MGH_PA
143 BigJ71
168 Deerhunterpy
189 cburkhart
348 jberryx24
333 Ruttinbucks.com
333 phil_pick
215 Betterbirddogs
315 blakefrautschi
:party0005:
hey everybody, my names blake, ill be hunting in south western wisconsin this year.

lets get everyone checked in to start with. and if you have any ideas for team names throw them out!

BigJ71 08-18-2009 07:21 PM

Just checking in to say hey and good luck to my new teammates.

I pretty much hunt in Northwest, East Central and Southern Illinois for deer. I missed most of the prime rut last year due to a back operation but I'm feeling great and ready to hunt.

I'll check back in once everyone has posted and we'll get to picking a name.

blakefrautschi 08-18-2009 07:54 PM

sounds good bigJ71! good luck this season!

phil_pick 08-19-2009 03:38 AM

Hey guys, just checking in. I am also from southern WI. Janesville to be exact. I hunt in Evansville and some up near La Crosse. I have a few bucks on my trail cams so we will see what happens. One idea for a name would be "Horse Slayers" or something to that effect. I know its a tall task but I want to beat the Dark Horses this year.

MGH_PA 08-19-2009 05:44 AM

Hey guys, checking in here. I'm hunting Northcentral PA. Primarily my parent's 90 acres, and I may get out on to the 1200 acres if I get ahold of a LW climber. Looking forward to the season (opens Oct.3 here), and some cool weather!

blakefrautschi 08-19-2009 06:29 AM

Good luck phil pick, only a few weeks untill the season opens for us!

Lets put some brown on the ground this season

phil_pick 08-19-2009 07:58 AM

I know, I cant wait. I have very little private land that is available to me to hunt on so its pretty rare that I get any pics of bucks on my trail cam. I have four separate bucks this year. No bruisers, but one is quite nice and tall and another is a wide 4x3. Heres a few picks of the bucks I am after.
I might be meeting with a land owner this week about hunting some of his land in the crop damage program. He has 190 acres available so we will see.

Jberryx24 08-19-2009 06:24 PM

checking in guys... im hunting southern indiana and southern illinois.. got my eyes on some pretty nice deer

blakefrautschi 08-20-2009 07:14 AM

When does the season start down in indiana and illinois?

phil_pick 08-21-2009 03:52 PM

Well guys I chatted with the owner of the crop damage land and he said that I would be free to hunt his property with my bow and take a buck if one comes along. I don't know anything about the land but it sounds like there are a lot of deer on the property. It will mostly be hunting the edges of produce fields until I can take an afternoon off and walk through some of trees it to see if there are any trails or signs of bedding. I don't know how good it will turn out but its private land so we will see.

Jberryx24 08-22-2009 09:16 AM

season starts october 1st

blakefrautschi 08-23-2009 03:44 PM

Phil, thats cool that you get to hunt that land, and deer like coners of fields, so i would hunt the corners, and good luck with getting one on that land!

jberry, thats not too far away! i cant wait till the 11th here.. only a few more weekends!

phil_pick 08-25-2009 06:45 PM

Hey, should we PM or email our team mates that have yet to check in or should we give them a couple more days? I am just curious cause the season up here in WI is going to be starting soon so I would like alternates shortly if we are going to need them.

BigJ71 08-25-2009 09:22 PM

Hopefully they will check in shortly but perhaps a PM won't hurt.

I'm headed down to southern Illinois in a couple of weeks to check on both my gun stand (permanent) and do a little scouting to find locations for my bow stands. It should be a fun year, I've already seen more deer this year than last (by this time of the year). I have set up my bow stands here in the northern part of the state where I bow hunt only. They might need "tweaking" as the season goes on but they are in good locations to start with. I always like to stay flexible when it comes to stand locations.

blakefrautschi 08-25-2009 09:41 PM

i pm-ed everyone yesterday.. or maybe it was the day before, anyway its done...but i have not got any replies.

we finally got our food plots finished with and its raining right now so they should be good enough to hunt over by the season.
also picked up 2 new hangons.

blakefrautschi 08-25-2009 09:46 PM

also i did get a reply from Centauri and he is having to drop out of the contest this year... and i have not heard fromt the other MIA members

BetterBirddogs 08-26-2009 04:54 PM

Hey guys checkin in. Sorry for the late response. I'll be hunting in Kansas this year. We have some big deer on our places. I found a set of sheds in March that I had scored right at 180 estimating the spread ofcourse. I'm really looking forward to it. I shot a nice deer last year and shot 5 does. There are some monsters on one place we have. I'll post some pics here pretty quick.

Andy

blakefrautschi 08-26-2009 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs (Post 3420949)
Hey guys checkin in. Sorry for the late response. I'll be hunting in Kansas this year. We have some big deer on our places. I found a set of sheds in March that I had scored right at 180 estimating the spread ofcourse. I'm really looking forward to it. I shot a nice deer last year and shot 5 does. There are some monsters on one place we have. I'll post some pics here pretty quick.

Andy

good to hear from you! hopefully you can get that buck on the ground this year.... only 3 more members to check in!

MGH_PA 08-27-2009 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs (Post 3420949)

Andy

Ah ha! A fellow Turkey hunting teammate. I didn't even make the connection with the name on the list. Welcome!

BetterBirddogs 08-27-2009 08:17 AM

I'm looking forward to this season a lot. The bow is sighted in and deadly. I have a couple of pics of some big boys already too. I passed several 125" 2 1/2 year old deer last year. I'm planting some plots for the girlfriend next week.

Deerhunterpy 08-28-2009 03:23 AM

Sorry

Sorry for being late also. I was super busy with work and I didnt get a PM. I am here now and will be hunting in KS. Doug

blakefrautschi 08-28-2009 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deerhunterpy (Post 3422429)
Sorry for being late also. I was super busy with work and I didnt get a PM. I am here now and will be hunting in KS. Doug

no problems, glad you got checked in! good luck this season!

Jberryx24 08-30-2009 04:21 PM

we need a team name.. anyone have any suggestions

cburkhart 08-31-2009 06:25 PM

Checking in...

Hey guys, checking in. Sorry it took me so long. I'll be hunting mainly in SE Kansas, but hope to take a trip to North Missouri also. This is my first year in the contest and I'm ready to hunt! The KS land I usually hunt (80 acres of corn, beans, & timber) has been pretty good in the past and I just gained access to a new piece of land that is smaller, but promising (40 acres). It's got a lot of thick timber where I'm hoping some of the big boys will be hiding out. I think Kansas' season starts Sept. 21st and I am planning on being in the woods the following weekend. Sounds like you guys have some great land to hunt. Good luck to you. Looking forward to hearing some good hunting stories.

Chris

blakefrautschi 08-31-2009 07:48 PM

good to hear from you chris! only one more member to check in and thats Ruttinbucks.com!

anyone have ideas for a name?!

phil_pick 09-01-2009 09:52 AM

Hey guys, it seems like everyone makes a play on words associated with deer for their team name. I am thinking we should make a play on words with the Dark Horses, the two time defending champs. Something like "The Horse Whisperers", "Horse Head Hunters", or "The Glue Makers" and our avatar could be a white glue bottle with the Dark Horses avatar on it.
I don't have my heart set on it but it's just a thought that I would throw out there.

BigJ71 09-01-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by phil_pick (Post 3426496)
Hey guys, it seems like everyone makes a play on words associated with deer for their team name. I am thinking we should make a play on words with the Dark Horses, the two time defending champs. Something like "The Horse Whisperers", "Horse Head Hunters", or "The Glue Makers" and our avatar could be a white glue bottle with the Dark Horses avatar on it.
I don't have my heart set on it but it's just a thought that I would throw out there.

Not a bad idea and I agree we do need to come up with a name pretty soon here. I'll put some thought to it as well.

I like the idea of going after the champs though...our logo could be a horses head in a bed...no wait wrong forum, that's the "mob hit man" forum!;)

blakefrautschi 09-01-2009 01:04 PM

i was actually thinking about saying "the glue factory" or something... i like the glue puns.

MGH_PA 09-03-2009 07:31 AM

Come up with a name and I will make the avatar (no I didn't make the one I have now:action-smiley-099:), lol.

blakefrautschi 09-07-2009 05:26 PM

you guys think of any ideas over the weekend?

RUTTINBUCKS.COM 09-08-2009 02:07 AM

Hell, just checking in.
My name is mike, hunting southern wis, and northern Ill, wis. starts this coming sat. i am pumped , lets kick some ass.

blakefrautschi 09-08-2009 04:32 AM

good to hear from you! im looking forward to this weekend, been waiting for about 8 months!

BigJ71 09-10-2009 07:20 PM

We really do need to come up with a name....How about "Team Dos Equis" (like the beer) as everyone knows Dos Equis means two X's and two X's is the Roman number for 20 so...Team 20

Our avatar can be a cartoon deer with X X over his eyes...get it? dead deer? two X's?

Just throwing it out there...

phil_pick 09-11-2009 06:03 PM

Hey guys, the season starts tomorrow. I won't be able to hunt till late afternoon but that seems to be prime time around here anyways. I am in an earn a buck zone so tomorrow will hopefully be full of does. I'll keep ya posted on whats happening and what I see out there.

As for a name, I like "The Glue Factory" myself. Blake posted it a few days ago and I couldn't come up with anything better. For the avatar, a glue bottle with the Dark Horses logo on it seems cool. But if not everyone is down with that idea than it's cool either way. Just trying something outside the box.

blakefrautschi 09-11-2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by phil_pick (Post 3438069)
Hey guys, the season starts tomorrow. I won't be able to hunt till late afternoon but that seems to be prime time around here anyways. I am in an earn a buck zone so tomorrow will hopefully be full of does. I'll keep ya posted on whats happening and what I see out there.

As for a name, I like "The Glue Factory" myself. Blake posted it a few days ago and I couldn't come up with anything better. For the avatar, a glue bottle with the Dark Horses logo on it seems cool. But if not everyone is down with that idea than it's cool either way. Just trying something outside the box.

i will be heading out tomorrow afternoon as well...and sunday morning! im also in an earn a buck zone, but i have a buck tag that carried over from last year.... and as for the name team 5 beat us to "the glue factory" name:action-smiley-099:

but the dos equis sounds fine to me.

blakefrautschi 09-17-2009 01:04 PM

hey guys who wants to be captain for this team? i can do it, but if anyone else wants to im fine with that

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-17-2009 03:53 PM

I've added tkycaller to your team.

I'll contact him, he's a good friend of mine. Please welcome him aboard.

blakefrautschi 09-17-2009 04:34 PM

sounds good rob! thanks again for putting on the contest this year

tkycaller 09-18-2009 12:26 PM

Hey I'm here!!! Thanks for having me. I hope to contribute to our success. I hunt in Pa. and mostly private land, mostly my own but sometimes venture to friends property that hold big deer, if I'm invited.( HINT,HINT) So "freinds" lets win this thing.... Wags.
Oh yea, I gotta figure out how to change the avatar, That one is from last year....

blakefrautschi 09-18-2009 01:04 PM

good to hear from you and good luck this season!...any ideas for a team name?