HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team Lights Out Thread (36) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300949-official-team-lights-out-thread-36-a.html)

firemedic_79 11-09-2009 04:00 PM

I haven't seen a deer in the last 4 outings. They are tearing up my turnip plot, but only after dark. Temps have been mid 70s for several days. Hopefully it will cool off soon. I have 4 days before firearms season opens.

Congrats Jag.

jag-mag 11-09-2009 05:14 PM

Got him posted on score thread he only goes 106 5/8 with the broken G-3 were still in the game team, lets get after it:)

SouthernMDArcherer 11-10-2009 11:53 AM

How are things going Gents? Any good buck sightings etc? I have not seen a good buck in 3 weeks. I am hopeful they will start moving soon. Depending on how this tropical storm makes it's way up the east coast in the next two days, I am not sure I will make it out.

Dave

Planter 11-10-2009 01:09 PM

Nice deer jag but are you sure you measured correctly?? He just looks like he scores a bit better than that which is the main reason I don't like to score them. It allows me to guess high.:s1:

I am hunting my ARSE off big time. Up at 3:30 most mornings and in a tree by five. I am just not seeing squat this year even from my "best" stands. Six plus hours in the tree and NOT one deer sighted. Hard to keep motivated but I will be back out there tommorow. It was 55 degrees this morning which just don't seem right for my favorite week of the year. The next deer I see will be getting the shaft. Just as long as I can get four H measurements off a spike.

This stuff can be tougher than work and I'm getting flustered!!!

SouthernMDArcherer 11-10-2009 01:14 PM

Oh wait, I was looking at my journal and realized I saw a spike last Friday morning. It was iffy whether he was a shooter or not, I guestimated him at 7, 3 inch spikes and 1/2 bases.....lol....just kidding.

Dave

jag-mag 11-10-2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Planter (Post 3501487)
Nice deer jag but are you sure you measured correctly?? He just looks like he scores a bit better than that which is the main reason I don't like to score them. It allows me to guess high.:s1:

I am hunting my ARSE off big time. Up at 3:30 most mornings and in a tree by five. I am just not seeing squat this year even from my "best" stands. Six plus hours in the tree and NOT one deer sighted. Hard to keep motivated but I will be back out there tommorow. It was 55 degrees this morning which just don't seem right for my favorite week of the year. The next deer I see will be getting the shaft. Just as long as I can get four H measurements off a spike.

This stuff can be tougher than work and I'm getting flustered!!!

Good things come to those who wait. Hang in there it will happen:barmy:

Planter 11-12-2009 12:22 AM

4:07 AM.. I'm holding off just a bit because I may be getting set up TO early in my trees. The winds blowing NNE @ 17 mph which sure is a bit more than I like. I opened the deck slider and the big wind chimes were ringing loud and I could even hear the river bouy a mile plus away. I'm a sound hunter rather than a sight hunter and every leave bouncing along is gonna sound like a deer and I won't even hear one if it comes in.

I'm gonna run a long scent line in with James Valley leathal weapon which has worked well for me over the years. I just like to dip a stick in the gel and touch it to branches five feet off the ground here and there for the last 150 yards in. It should carry well in this wind.

Well boys thats my story this AM. I'm getting slammed this year like I haven't in years. I'm a good clean hunter who lays out a plan and works the wind. My clothes are scent free. I'm freshly scent soap showered every time and then put coveralls on when I get out of the truck. I'm even taking the crossbow when the back is bad and I still can't get a deer within 30 yards. :mad:

Funny thing is were in the best two weeks of the year right now and I seem to have the time but NOT the patience.:s3:

PS.. And no dammit I'm not bitter....jk

SouthernMDArcherer 11-12-2009 12:49 AM

Hey Planter, sounds like your season is going about the same as mine. All we can do is keep trying brother. Rain and wind all day yesterday. Got up at 4 am today and it is even blowing harder and raining harder than yesterday. Looks like today will be a washout for me. I hope this front passes through by tonight so I can hit the woods tomm.

Goodluck Gents,

Dave

SouthernMDArcherer 11-13-2009 01:06 AM

Well, woke to a forecast of on and off rains. Not raining now but the wind is howling. Maybe this afternoon it will calm down enough for me to hit the woods.

Dave

Planter 11-16-2009 02:26 PM

They haven't counted your deer jag?? Looks like it should have been tallied by now:arms:.

SouthernMDArcherer 11-16-2009 02:42 PM

Well guys I had a very bad weekend. Here is the story, went out this past saturday, in stand by 0600. At about 0650 I had a doe come in and browse around for 2 to 3 minutes then walk off. About a minute later I look to my left and here comes a shooter. He walks to within 10 yards of my stand then catches wind of were the doe was standing and starts trotting that way.

Since I knew he was going to follow the doe path I drew my bow and as he hit an opening I gave him the "whaaaa". He stopped dead in his tracks, I put the 20 yard pin on him and released. This darn deer did the duck and turn away move on me. I could have sworn I seen the arrow hit him perfect left to right and about midway up the body.

He turned and ran about 60 yards, stopped lowered his head stood there for about 10 seconds then walked another 10 to 15 yards and stopped again for another 10 seconds or so. Then he walked into some thick cover and I lost sight of him. As soon as he walked into the thick cover here comes a small six point down the exact same path. He went to the same area I had been no more than 30 to 45 seconds after I shot my buck, he stops exactly at the same spot as the first buck. Right then I hear in the distance the sound of what I thought was my buck crashing.

Well Mr. six point hears it too and goes over that way through the thicket to investigate, next thing I know I see going through the thicket up the hill is a deer trotting. I waited 2 hours, climbed down out of the stand, creeped over and checked my arrow(19 yard shot). blood red from top to bottom. I back out to my truck for 1.5 hours then a light drizzle starts so I decide to go track the deer. Great blood for 75 yards until he crossed a creek then nothing. I found the spot were he bedded/crashed 15 yards on the other side of the creek but no deer.

My wife and my three teenage boys attempted to find this deer for almost 2 full days. With a 4 hour wait from shot until track taken up, I believe it was enough time.

My Theory: The buck dodged the arrow to the point that the inpact was in the void area with no vitals. When the small six point started through the thicket he startled/jumped my buck and he ran. Right now I am sick to my stomach. I am very appreciative that my wife and three sons spent 2 days looking for the deer.

I am dismayed that I called 3 friends and none showed to help, that really bothers me considering I have always helped them. One friend I could understand, he had a serious remodeling project going on and could not get away. The other 2, well lets say next time they need something from me it will be on my terms. Now for my estimate of deer size. I guestimated him at 135 to 140, big old buck. Anyways, sorry to let you guys down. All I can do is get back in the stand and keep trying.

Dave

okeechobeefishing 11-17-2009 02:17 PM

hey Dave what a tough story. Really to bad about your friends and them not helping out. As far as that deer goes it sounds as though he is dead somewhere around there. My buddy shot one last tue. and just called me today to say that he had found it thanks to the buzzards. Of course it wasn't any good but he did get the horns and now knows that the buck isn't suffering. By the way he was about 450 yds. from where he shot it. Don't get down and keep up your spirits. Jerry

SouthernMDArcherer 11-18-2009 04:05 AM

Thanks Jerry, to be honest I did not think it would affect me this bad after bowhunting for 34 years. Right now as I type this, I have no desire to even get out and try hunting. I feel as if I let myself, you guys and my family down. I also feel that I let a fine animal go to waste.

Dave

DowningAir 11-18-2009 04:50 AM

Well gun season has come so I won't be back out in the woods with the bow for a few weeks. The last couple weeks of the regular season went fairly well. Saw a lot of deer movement which made for some exciting sits. Had a couple oppourtunities to take younger bucks but am not allowed to on my property. Only saw one shooter (a nice 10) but the doe he was chasing went the opposite way so I didn't get a crack at him.

To be honest I'm a bit worn out from this season. I think I'll gun hunt sparingly these next few days and try to re-coup in hopes of getting back out there for a few more weeks with the bow. I really want to help the team out but with our antler restrictions and the difficultly of late season hunts around here that might be tough. I'm not gonna give up though cause I know once the season is done I'll want to be out there again, so might as well live it up while I can! Good luck to you guys still out there and congrats to everyone on a great season no matter what the results may show!

firemedic_79 11-18-2009 06:48 PM

Hey guys...great to see us back on top. I'm having a horrible time seeing deer this season. I'll be back out in the morning.

okeechobeefishing 11-20-2009 01:36 AM

Hey fellows thought I would check in and see how we are doing. Team 24 had a good week but we are only 178 out of first. someone needs to kill a really big one or lets just get a couple of good ones. Any way good luck to you all and have fun. Jerry

SouthernMDArcherer 11-20-2009 10:28 AM

Shot my bow today trying to get me out of my depressed slump. Going to hit the woods in the morning and see what happens. Goodluck to those still hunting.

Dave

SouthernMDArcherer 11-22-2009 06:46 AM

Hit the woods Saturday morning. All I saw was a big dirty white dog running all over. That busted the morning hunt out. Went for an evening hunt to a friends land. Did not see anything there either. Guess I will try again this week if I get some time off work.

Dave

okeechobeefishing 11-22-2009 12:54 PM

hey Dave, glad to see you are still at it after that tough hunt you had. good luck to everyone else. Jerry

okeechobeefishing 11-26-2009 05:49 AM

Wishing everyone on Team 36 a great day of Thanksgiving. Jerry

NYhunter325 11-30-2009 08:35 AM

hey guys just checkin in i havent had a shot at a deer since opening day of bow saw a two really nice 8's but i havent been able to find where they travel throughout the day but hopfully i can get a lock on em and maybe put one down im going out thursday with the bow, i have been going out with the gun for the past week and a half but im gunna change it up with the bow and maybe things turn out well for me good luck to every one else and put em down.

shed33 12-02-2009 09:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just checking in, was out hunting Iowa last week. Came home with a dandy 4x4 main framer with a few sticker points..

okeechobeefishing 12-02-2009 01:18 PM

Wow nice one shed what did he score

jag-mag 12-03-2009 07:07 PM

Shed you shoot some awesome deer. Congrats

shed33 12-07-2009 07:16 AM

grossed 150 2/8

SouthernMDArcherer 12-09-2009 01:42 AM

Nice Shed, very nice indeed. Yes gents, I am still hunting hard......don't give up on me yet.

Dave

NYhunter325 12-09-2009 11:18 AM

going to a new spot this weekend and have to go to a funeral for my friends girl friend she pass away last sunday in a car crash so trying to find time to go to get my mind off it so good luck to every one

R.I.P Jenna helena Pratt

shed33 12-11-2009 08:10 AM

checking in teammates..I am hitting it hard again this late season, got one buck/doe tag to fill in idaho, one elk tag and then 2 doe tags in Montana come Jan...wishing everyone else on the team the best of luck!

okeechobeefishing 12-15-2009 11:11 AM

Hey fellows haven't been around much latley. Hope everyone is doing good. Just got back from Alabama rifle hunting up there. Had a great time and did get one to bring home for the freezer. Proably will make it up there one more time this season. Good luck to you all on the remainder of your hunting seasons. Jerry

NYhunter325 12-17-2009 04:26 AM

last weekend for me and the bow deer season ends this weekend maybe lady luck will be with me and the one lucky deer will walk by but good luck to everyone else

Planter 12-21-2009 06:05 AM

I'm not dead and I am still working on it. Worst season in YEARS for me!! Not that I haven't had a blast but I've been working my ass off. Hunted with the Crossbow during shotgun and am doing so for ML as well.

I will say I am very tired!! It gets tough after three months of 4A.M. wake ups to fly out of bed with any gusto but I AM getting out there.

Way to go Shed on another nice year and I hope everyone had fun regardless of what others consider a successful season. I'm just glad I don't need to hunt to eat. I would be starving...

Merry Christmas

NYhunter325 12-21-2009 02:36 PM

well season is over it has definatly been the worst year so far, seen some really dandy's that would have looked good in the freezer as well as on the wall but there is always next year and your right "planter" if we would have had to hunt for food then there would be a problem for us... but good season guys hope to see you guys next year my next target is spring turkey with a bow maybe that will turn out better than this deer season did. see you guys next year
good luck,
-NY-

jag-mag 12-28-2009 06:07 PM

We gave it a decent shot this year guys, Im proud to have
been a member of team lights out, thanks guys.

okeechobeefishing 01-09-2010 01:21 PM

Hey guys haven't been around much latley hope you all had a great holiday season. It's been a great hunting season tomorrow is the last day for our season here. Going to try to make it to Alabama 1 more time this year. One good thing about living down here in south florida is that hog hunting never stops. It's been nice chatting with you all and I actually feel like I know some of you. If you are ever down here in South Florida let me know Thanks Jerry

firemedic_79 01-11-2010 07:06 PM

Hey guys. I'm still around too. I've been pretty busy lately with home remodeling and a new baby 3 weeks ago. Season ends on Friday in Missouri and I'm still hunting. I have to agree about it being a frustrating season. I looked out my window this evening and watched two bucks feeding in the food plot within 10 yards of my ground blind. Oh well, I still have 3 evenings.

okeechobeefishing 01-13-2010 03:38 PM

Hey firemedic congrats on the new family member. Hope to hear you got one of those bucks in the next couple of days. Jerry