HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300921-official-team-wanna-see-my-booner-thread-31-a.html)

WesternMdHardwoods 08-18-2009 04:52 PM

Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31)

Hey guys check in here and I will mark us off in red as we check in.... I dont recognize many of the name but look forward to getting to know ya'll!!

Official Team 31

9 WesternMDHardwoods
16 W9Archer
338 tim03b
311 The Outdoorsman
64 ahunter55
246 little Indian
116 ladysedge
74 HUNGAR
66 fishintay
117 bowmanaj

ALL ACCOUNTED FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadysEdge 08-18-2009 09:12 PM

Checking in and happy to be on Team 31

bowmanaj 08-18-2009 09:21 PM

Checking in for team 31... :party0005:

W9ARcher 08-18-2009 10:02 PM

Checking in, let the fun begin with TEAM 31.

ahunter55 08-19-2009 09:45 AM

ahunter55 checkin in fellas. Starting my 53rd year Bowhunting. A Little of my last years season-passed on several Bucks (spikes, forkys, 6s & a couple small 8s) & ate my Buck tag again. I managed 2 big fat Does though-so IF I get the shot I should be able to help with a BIG OL N.E. IOWA BUCK. I had THREE big boys extremly close last year-just could not close the deal-thats why they are BIG. 1 over 140 10 point-1 Non-Typical Palmated 10+ (HUGE BUCK) & a extremly large main frame 8. No one heard of these being taken gun season so hopefully they will still be around.

little indian 08-20-2009 01:08 PM

little Indian checking in.

WesternMdHardwoods 08-20-2009 10:48 PM

Hey all how about giving a little bio of yourself when checking in!!!

A little about me......
My name is Seth and from Cumberland, Md.I should have plenty of time to be in the woods this year, I am now working the 3-11 shift so I should be in the woods every morning!!!!!! i love hunting mornings!! I have been bowhunting for about 13 yrs or so. I have killed my share of deer but none that any would call impressive!! I killed a 80" buck for my team last year and it was my largest buck to date! I passed on 2 or 3 other bucks the same size after I killed him so if I shoot another buck this year it will be bigger!! I am also going to Ohio this year for a week in hopes to kill a nice one so only time will tell??

Gd Luck Guys!!

HUNGAR 08-21-2009 07:38 AM

Hello everyone, Hungar checking in!

My name is Chris and I am 37, from MI and do most of my hunting here. I plan on heading to OH for a week in Nov. on a DIY public land hunt. Married with 3 kids (Hunter, Garhet and Hailee).

I shot a few does last year and a smaller 8pt.

I believe ahunter55 and I were on the same team last year, hopefully we have better results this year.

Chris

The Outdoorsman 08-21-2009 10:37 AM

Hello everyone, TheOutdoorsman checking in here for Team 31. Glad to make it on a team this year, missed out last year. Im 31 years old (seriously) and I live in Indiana and have been hunting for 18 years now in the popular county of Switzerland Co.

bowmanaj 08-22-2009 07:15 AM

I'm Adam from SW Ohio. I'll be hunting my family's farm in SE Indiana and also some in Ohio. Been following 3 big boys with the cams since May, hope they stick around. Good luck to all. :happy0001:

solocamcan 08-24-2009 12:22 AM

So Seth....you gotta top 80" this year, or just start saving $$$$ to come to Illinois.

WesternMdHardwoods 08-24-2009 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by solocamcan (Post 3417534)
So Seth....you gotta top 80" this year, or just start saving $$$$ to come to Illinois.

Haha I sure hope so Dennis I sure hope so!! I am not going to make it to Illinois this year but am not forgetting about making it out there though!!

Hey guys we need a few more people to check in!!!

Also we need to get on the ball of a name and captain!

W9ARcher 08-24-2009 10:12 PM

Noticed little Indian checked in and needs to be marked off. Only two to go to confirm the team.

Visited the hunting property this past weekend and checking the cameras found 5 "shooters" in the 100 to 120 range. Should be dropping velvet soon as they are shedding their summer coats.

Was chased out of the woods by a bear while checking my last camera. Heard a noise in the brush and it came to 10 yards from me before it's head emerged from the brush. Since it was a cub, I didn't stick around to see the rest of the family. Time to get out the bear repellant.

Oh, yea bio: I'm Gerry, 49 years old and took 6 deer last year, all does. Passed on quite a few small 8's and it's showing on this year's trail cameras. I'll share a couple of pics later.

I'm live in SE Wisconsin and hunt NW Wisconsin so my hunts will be every other weekend.

So who wants to be captain? We have a couple veterans based upon post counts.

I'll nominate WesternMdHardwoods since that was the first post to the team page.

WesternMdHardwoods 08-25-2009 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by W9ARcher (Post 3418680)
Noticed little Indian checked in and needs to be marked off. Only two to go to confirm the team.

Thanks Gerry I never even noticed him checking in, haha I just sent him a pm yesterday along with the others he probably thinks im nuts!!

tim03b 08-25-2009 10:04 AM

tim03b checking in. Sorry it took so long.

bowmanaj 08-26-2009 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman (Post 3415332)
Hello everyone, TheOutdoorsman checking in here for Team 31. Glad to make it on a team this year, missed out last year. Im 31 years old (seriously) and I live in Indiana and have been hunting for 18 years now in the popular county of Switzerland Co.

My cousin hunts on a big farm in Switzerland county, near Rising Sun.. I am just one county above you in Ohio county, Indiana. :cool2:

bowmanaj 08-26-2009 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by W9ARcher (Post 3418680)
I'll nominate WesternMdHardwoods since that was the first post to the team page.

Sounds good to me

The Outdoorsman 08-26-2009 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bowmanaj (Post 3420012)
Sounds good to me

I x2 that.

The Outdoorsman 08-26-2009 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by bowmanaj (Post 3420010)
My cousin hunts on a big farm in Switzerland county, near Rising Sun.. I am just one county above you in Ohio county, Indiana. :cool2:

Maybe we can get together sometime this year and shoot the sh*t or something.

WesternMdHardwoods 08-26-2009 05:47 AM

Ok, I have no problems being Capt. I was last year and we had a great time and we came in 2nd place....:s8: on my old team so lets hope we can do the same here but lets get 1st!!

Now what about name anybody got anything in mind? I really am not good in this department!!

The Outdoorsman 08-26-2009 10:42 AM

Ok, got bored here at work and quickly had these run thru my head:

Team Sizzlin’ Backstraps
Team Blazin’ Arrows
Team One Shot, One Kill
Team Bucksnort
Team Fulldraw

ahunter55 08-26-2009 07:46 PM

any name chosen by you fellas is good for me.

W9ARcher 08-26-2009 09:07 PM

I've gotta laugh at Bucksnort as my brother would always use that term when he came out of the woods and had seen a buck. He would put a heavy emphasis on the beginning such as BUCKsnort.

I'll try to think of other names tomorrow at work while daydreaming....
Gerry

ahunter55 08-27-2009 07:05 AM

Sure glad my REAL working days are over. I just did a qualifier for a special Antlerless Deer Hunt. Will let me get in the woods mid Sept. & maybe take a doe.
Looking at where everyone is from, we should all have decent Deer in our home states. Good Luck fellas. I usually hit it real hard starting last week of Oct. through Nov...

W9ARcher 08-27-2009 02:14 PM

The only team names I could come up with are:

Stealth Stalkers
Booners

I'm not really the creative one so looking for other suggestions.

HUNGAR 08-27-2009 08:26 PM

Sorry I've been away for a while, it is the busy time of year with getting stuff done around the house and the boys starting football. I am coaching so the days are pretty full, I actually look forward to coming to work so I can check the computer on what I've been missing.

team names off the top of the head-
Widow makers
Shoot to kill
Size Matters
Heart stoppers
Antler Kings
In it to win it
Camo Comrades

I think Hardwoods is a good choice as captain also.

Chris

The Outdoorsman 08-28-2009 04:08 AM

One Shot, One Kill
Shadows of the Woods
Silent But Deadly
Top Rack

WesternMdHardwoods 08-28-2009 08:33 AM

Ok I will be the captain as it looks like thats what you guys want!

Here is a list of the names so far:

Team Sizzlin’ Backstraps
Team Blazin’ Arrows

Team One Shot, One Kill
Team Bucksnort
Team Fulldraw

Stealth Stalkers
Booners

Widow makers
Shoot to kill
Size Matters
Heart stoppers
Antler Kings
In it to win it
Camo Comrades
Shadows of the Woods
Silent But Deadly
Top Rack

We will give it a couple more days to see if anyone else wants to come up with anything and then we can start voting on the best!!

On another note I have tried contacting the MIA and have not heard nothing back yet?? I will try to email him now and see what happens?

LadysEdge 08-28-2009 07:10 PM

I will try to come up with some names tomorrow....

HUNGAR 08-28-2009 08:12 PM

Anyone make any major changes to their hunting set ups this year? I think this is the first year since I've been hunting (26yrs or so) that I've kept it all the same. The only things new this year that I will be using are a set of Day One Predator fall grey fleece bibs and foot rests for my Lone Wolf (X-mas presents).

Anyone getting any good game cam pics? I am down to one camera after getting one stolen last year (private property) so I am reluctant to put it out until later in the season when I can attend to it more.

Chris

WesternMdHardwoods 08-28-2009 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by HUNGAR (Post 3423311)
Anyone make any major changes to their hunting set ups this year? I think this is the first year since I've been hunting (26yrs or so) that I've kept it all the same. The only things new this year that I will be using are a set of Day One Predator fall grey fleece bibs and foot rests for my Lone Wolf (X-mas presents).

Anyone getting any good game cam pics? I am down to one camera after getting one stolen last year (private property) so I am reluctant to put it out until later in the season when I can attend to it more.

Chris

Haha chris I have changed much this year!! I planned on getting a new bow this year but my pocket wouldnt allow me to so I just bought all new accesories!! I put a new sight and rest on my bow! I finally got the rest figured out and it is shooting great!! I love my new sight!! QAD LD rest and Viper Pro 2000 Sight!!

I plan on shooting Rage expandables this year instead of my usual Muzzys or Slick Tricks! In this case I changed from a Beman ICS arrow to FMJ's to get more FOC and KE and I am definantely getting that! My arrows are absolutely slamming the target!! I hope the Rages work out good, if not I always have the Slicks to fall back on!! I do have the Rages shooting GREAT out to 50 yards but dont plan on taking any shots past 25 with this setup!!

I had to buy a new climber T stand since mine got stolen! I had an API Grand Slam and now own a Loggy Bayou Mega Transformer, I havent had the chance to use it but it seems it will be nice?

I am patientlly waiting on the new cold gear line of Ultimate Camo and also plan on buying the Scentblocker Realtree Road Trips outfit!!

Other than that I aint changing a thing!! Haha

HUNGAR 08-29-2009 08:05 PM

You do realize that when you buy a new bow later you will have to buy new accessories:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Atleast that is what I tell the wife. My motto should be-- this is the last (insert accessory here) that I buy-----------until next year.:s2::s2:

I have heard good things about the 2 blade Rage and not so good things about the 3 blade Rage, but it is probably like most bowhunting stuff--personal preference. I am done with expandables for a couple of reasons. I figure if ya hit'em where your supposed to you get the same result just might take a few extra steps. And, why fix what isn't broke. I had a bad experience with Spitfires, it had been raining so I figured put'em down quick, I had Tricks and Spitfires both and elected to take the Spitfires. Well it changed to snow and we got around 6 inches, a nice buck comes in on a quartering away angle. I take the shot deer runs off hear a crash. Sweet! Well a mile or so later a few creeks and a river resulted in no deer. Best I can figure the arrow angled up into the leg scapula area. I say this because we found around 7 areas where the deer was running and did a nose dive into the snow like the shoulder gave out on him. I could have had the same results with the Tricks, but I really don't think so.

I actually sold my climber because I always elected to take my Lone Wolf out over the climber. I can set it up in under 10 minutes and take it down in five. Also, I love the way it packs and carries. I was never a really "strong climber", meaning it seemed like I was climbing forever and I would look at the ground and be 15 feet up:s2:

I like the look of the UC, it reminds me of the first suit I ever bought. I was 17 I believe and got me some Treebark in fleece, I really loved that suit the only downfall was that with the old style of fleece it was a burr magnet. I picked alot of burrs out in stand waiting for deer:s2:

Chris

HUNGAR 08-30-2009 01:53 AM

Widow Makers for a team name is out, I see another team already has it.

bowmanaj 08-30-2009 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman (Post 3420131)
Maybe we can get together sometime this year and shoot the sh*t or something.

Sounds good, good luck to ya.

...And to everyone on the team. It's looking like it will be a good year at our little farm this year, we'll see... My secret weapon for this year is a little late season food source to keep them around throughout December, if I need to be in it for the long haul to put a buck down. If not, I hope to kill a doe or two off it also. They usually move off to the cut corn and bean fields again in the late season. Hope this helps this year: Purple top and 7-top turnips

The Outdoorsman 09-01-2009 06:56 AM

This year has been a little off for me. The plots got in later than we wanted, had the tiller go down and then the following week the gears in the tractor went out. Plus mother nature made it hard to find a good weekend to till. But nevertheless, they are in. I feel good about this year, put up a stand in a new location and did some trimming for lanes. We’ve got a nice bean field to the east of us and 6 food plots in the woods and another 2 behind the pond. So food shouldn’t be an issue for us. I’ve seriously considered switching back to some old broadheads, the Satellite Titan 125 cut on contact broadheads. Other than that, everything else is staying the same for me.

ahunter55 09-01-2009 12:23 PM

I just checked my 1st ever trail cam (1 week out)-3 Does & lots of COWS, Coons & Bushytails.
Will move it to another stand location this weekend.
Oh, I know the Bucks are there-saw them last year & no one killed any size Bucks Gun season.
Our regular season starts Oct. 1..

W9ARcher 09-01-2009 06:27 PM

The only thing I'm changing this year is the time I spend in the woods. I'm going to wait until late October before hunting for the bucks I'm getting on my trail cameras. I'm going after meat, ie does in the early part of the season near the farm fields and keeping the remote stands untouched until the early rut. I'll post pictures from my trail cameras when I have a chance to resize them to include on this site.

My fall food plots went in around August 8th but they aren't growing as well as Bowmanaj's. I think I need to fertilize them which I'm planning on doing over Labor Day weekend. Should have about 6 more weeks of growing season left if I can get ahead of the browsing.

I sent an email to our MIA last week and haven't gotten any response. I noticed he's posted on other forums so maybe he's just not interested in this team event.

Pictures coming shortly.

W9ARcher 09-01-2009 06:44 PM

Here's an early picture from the deepest part of my woods when they were still running in bachelor groups.

W9ARcher 09-01-2009 06:49 PM

From the same location two weeks later. Notice Trophy Rock is almost gone. This is the stand location I'm going to let sit idle until late October to hopefully get them moving during daylight now that they have shed their velvet.

HUNGAR 09-01-2009 10:45 PM

Those are some nice looking deer!

I will be hunting the prime locations later in the year also, coaching the boys football takes up a big chunk of time. It ends October 17th which is kind of a good thing because it will keep me out of those locations until later in Oct. I have a lot of corn planted around me so the beginning of the season should be slow until the corn comes off.

Chris