HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team BONE TOWN Thread (29) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300914-official-team-bone-town-thread-29-a.html)

finner 10-23-2009 10:44 AM

Someone finally caught one on camera, And now what can the DNR say, there's still no cougars in michigan....picture was taken on the east end of the u.p. There's been sightings here also, i seen one many years ago myself. Makes me really wanna watch my back out there hunting, knowing there out there.

zmax hunter 10-23-2009 01:04 PM

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDW...RTHWEST-KANSAS

Here Kitty Kitty, nice Kitty :eek:

jnrbronc 10-25-2009 07:03 PM

Sorry guys

I slept in this morning, figure why go when the rut is right around the corner. I had pulled memory cards on all the trail cams yesterday and all scrape activity was at night.

Well, sleeping in for me means getting up at 6 am. I woke up, couldn't get back to sleep, figured I might as well get up. I needed to stop by work for a couple of hours. Afterwards, I was watching the Vikings/Steelers game and decided that the weather was too good to not be in a stand, rut around the corner or not.

I went to a property that I haven't hunted this year, set up along a creek bottom that usually sees a lot of scrape activity. I selected a wild cherry tree and with 4 Lone Wolf steps, hung my Lone Wolf stand as high as I could get. The wind was from the NW, blowing my scent towards an open field, which I figured was good. I sat down at 2:45 pm. A local town's 5 o'clock siren told me it was time to stand up, that plus some showers had it darker than it should have been. Between the overcast sky and the rain showers, I felt good that something should be on it's feet.

Shortly after I stood up, maybe 5:15, I see movement off to the NW. While I was sitting in the tree, I happened to notice that two trails intersected below it and the buck was on the west fork. When he went behind a tree, I drew my bow. Just then, he stops to work a scrape that I didn't know was there. There were a few branches framing his vitals and I was almost tempted to try to thread an arrow through them, but I knew if he continued on the trail he was on that he would hit a clear window at 15 yards. He finished working the scrape, continued on to my window, I put the pin on him and hit him as he walked. I wasn't going to risk spooking him by stopping him, not at 15 yards. I saw the arrow hit the ribs, no pass through, lot's of arrow sticking out, but it was behind the shoulder and I thought I saw blood pumping out as he sprinted off. I watched him as far as the woods allowed, then heard a crash. I started putting my gear away, tore down the stand and headed down the trail. He broke off my arrow at just about the point I lost sight of him. I picked up my arrow and took two steps, then saw him about 20 yards further.

I was hoping for something a little different this year and I think I found it! Sorry guys, not sure if this is a gross or net contest, but I did what made me happy. I've got another buck tag, but I think rules state first buck. It's late, I,m just getting home, I will score it (as best I can) after work tomorrow night.

jnrbronc 10-25-2009 10:07 PM

I decided to quick score him, checked the rules and it looks like gross score is what counts. I came up with a gross of 136 5/8".

Right antler
MB 19”
G1 8 6/8”
G2 6 5/8”
Abnormal 8 6/8”
H1 4 4/8”
H2 4”
H3 2 7/8”
H4 2 6/8”

Left antler
MB 20 6/8”
G1 8 3/8”
G2 7 2/8”
G3 7 1/8”
H1 4 7/8”
H2 4 2/8”
H3 4 5/8”
H4 3 4/8”

Inside spread 17 6/8”

Gross score 136 5/8”

finner 10-26-2009 05:08 AM

Way to go Jnrbronc, Thats a Awesome buck with alot a character, you dont see brow tines like he has too often. Congrats brother on the great buck!! And way to put us back in the lead again!

I didnt get out this weekend, it was raining all weekend and ive been sick the last few days with a heck of a cough So hopefully this week ill get better and ill get back out there. Rut is right around the corner here.

jnrbronc 10-26-2009 05:15 AM

I've got a landowner archery anysex tag in my pocket as well, so you can bet I'll be back out there as the rut is just starting to trickle in.:s4:

finner 10-26-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jnrbronc (Post 3484395)
I've got a landowner archery anysex tag in my pocket as well, so you can bet I'll be back out there as the rut is just starting to trickle in.:s4:

Well thats a bonus, that keeps you out hunting then, during the best time of the season!

Paddles 10-26-2009 05:53 PM

Hey guys those are some nice deer our team is putting up. I haven't been on much simply because I wasn't seeing much until tonight.
I saw a large 8 or 10 point chasing tonight on the neighbors property. Then about 30 mins. later I saw a big deer and knew it was a buck immediately. It took a couple steps and I saw the rack and said holy sh*t. It appeared to have about a 20 in spread and I really am not sure how many points. It appeared to have pretty many though. Well this is where it all went wrong. The buck was heading toward me so I began to stand up and just like that 2 chipmunks get startled and go running the buck stops looks around doesnt like what it heard and takes off.
This is the second time this has happened to me on big buck. I have all kinds of luck fishing but hunting has cursed me for years. I'll get back out there but this is one frustrating sport.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully mine and pops luck will change.

Pops423 10-27-2009 06:50 AM

jnrbronc, awesome buck. Love that charcter. Congrats!!

It's been a rough few weeks. First my daughter was sick with strept and now my son is home with the flu, put him on Tamiflu as they think it may be h1n1. I've been down and out with a cough/cold/stomach flu so hopefully we clear up by the weekend and I can get out. I'll see what I can fit in between Hockey, cheer and family time.

I've got until November 14th and then will be back out with the bow come PA rifle season if I have no luck.

Good luck to the rest of the team.

Pops423 10-27-2009 10:13 AM

By the way, looks like we are back in the lead. with 408

Ken/WV 10-27-2009 04:14 PM

Another awesome deer! Wow is our team really cooking right now. The rut here is still a week or so away...but I am seeing a few more bucks here and there on the way to work. So I think it will be time to buckle down and hunt hard starting next week. Again way to go team....we are really on fire early.

Treebeard 10-27-2009 06:50 PM

Atta boy! :)
No luck for me yet tons of does tho the bucks got to be near by!!!!

Treebeard 10-27-2009 06:55 PM

By the way if we are still voting #5 looks good!

zmax hunter 10-28-2009 05:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thats awesome Jr. I love that coat hook, tall brows, everything, he's a fantastic buck! way to keep us out front!

I have some trail cam pics for you guys, enjoy (been busy guiding a Georgia friend)

HuntingBry 10-28-2009 07:46 AM

Great buck jnrbronc. Very cool rack. Congrats. That's a tough buck to score, but you gotta love the non-typical frame.

Pops423 10-29-2009 05:19 AM

Guys,

Snakes on the board too. Saw it in the Bowhunting thread. We are on a roll now.

HuntingBry 10-29-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pops423 (Post 3488064)
Guys,

Snakes on the board too. Saw it in the Bowhunting thread. We are on a roll now.

Sweet! Let's get those scores posted. We are doing great and the rut hasn't even kicked in yet.

zmax hunter 10-29-2009 08:05 PM

Wow, if snake gets his posted, we will have 499 2/8", awesome! with 6 hunters to go,....Pops, you back to hunting or still looking? Hope you find him!

zmax hunter 10-29-2009 08:17 PM

Well guys, my friend from Georgia went home eating his tag, :sad: he passed shooting 17 bucks and I think 8 Does. The big bucks just seemed to vanish....and he had one nice 140 class 8 pointer that was chasing a Doe, running like crazy. we had alot of fun and he hunted his socks off. I'll tell you what, I learned more about deer hunting from him in 5 days than i have learned in the past 4 years.

If you guys can get the S&P scents doe estrus, i would highly recommend it, the stuff is frozen, no preservatives and it works. we/he created a scrape, just kinda kicked the leaves and grass away under a suitable limb, poured a little of the estrus on the ground and a bit on the limb, the next day, the scrape was about 3' in diameter and the limb all busted up. He also enlightened me with products from TreeHopper llc, he has the climbing safety belt and the drill bit with tree bolts. i never knew you could get up a tree so fast. I know its a long read sry,...Best of Luck to the rest of you still hunting and many congrats to those who have scored!

Ken/WV 10-31-2009 10:06 AM

I am going to send him a message and see if he will get it posted it up on here.

Ken/WV 10-31-2009 04:22 PM

I got an awesome setup ready for in the morning. Plus a front has pushed through today with some rain and cooler temps. Should be a great day tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

jnrbronc 11-01-2009 06:09 AM

Yesterday afternoon (from 3 to 6 pm) I had a heavy tined 8 working a brushy waterway between two standing corn fields. He would disappear into the corn, then a doe would come squirting across the waterway with him hot on her trail/tail. About 5:50pm, after not seeing him for maybe an hour, I heard noise in the corn behind my ladder stand tree. He had jumped the fence and came along the far edge of the waterway (maybe a 20 yard shot). Between branches, him moving too fast and the fact that I wanted to hold out for a larger rack, I didn't erp him to a stop. I think I'll recruit a friend to hunt that stand this week as it appears that his buck thinks the waterway is his personal playground. I'll take a bow saw with me and cut one branch for a clearer shot behind the tree.

Ken/WV 11-01-2009 01:42 PM

Hope everyone had a happy halloween...can't wait for the new Mathews bows to be released tonight or tomorrow.

jnrbronc 11-01-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ken/WV (Post 3491571)
can't wait for the new Mathews bows to be released tonight or tomorrow.

Well, I buy a bow every ten or fifteen years and I'm loving my Legacy, so it would take me winning the lotto to buy a bow right now.

Pops423 11-02-2009 04:27 AM

Went out this morning and saw 3 doe. Thought for sure I'd see a buck or two working behind them but nothing. Still was a beautiful morning.

jnrbronc 11-02-2009 11:15 AM

This morning, I saw the same two bucks I did last Saturday morning. One was a 2.5 yr old tall 8 that might score 100". He has potential if he makes it.

The other character is a 5 point. He was at the base of a tree I was in this morning, which was a different tree than where I was on Saturday. Saturday morning, I took a pic of the scrape I was hunting. I usually don't hunt scrapes that much, but there was a huge scrape line in a brushy valley that separated a corn field from CRP, right next to a creek. So it was a funnel, travel corridor, food, bedding and water all rolled into one.

So here is the pic from the stand last Saturday morning. The yellow circle on the left is one of my trailcams set to video mode, watching the two scrapes which are in the yellow circles on the right:

Here's a video of the show I got to witness:

Pops423 11-03-2009 04:20 AM

cool video and setup.

Hoping to make it out tomorrow

zmax hunter 11-03-2009 07:09 AM

Just wanted to share a thread,....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...nsas-slob.html

The scrape looks good! cool video, i like how he's checking the wind near the end.

HuntingBry 11-03-2009 07:33 AM

Hey guys, does anyone know if Snake123 entered his buck yet?

finner 11-03-2009 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingBry (Post 3493658)

As far as i can see he has not Bry.

Pops423 11-03-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingBry (Post 3493658)

I sent him a PM a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

Pops423 11-04-2009 04:16 AM

Went out again this am. Saw 4. 3 doe and a 7 point that I passed at 3 yards and again at 8 yards. just not what I was looking for. Pretty buck though. Came in trailing one of the doe that walked right under my stand just minutes before.

Won't get out again until next week unfortunately. Next week is our last week in PA until rifle season, which I'll be out with the bow.

jnrbronc 11-04-2009 06:40 AM

Though I'm done for this contest, I'm still hunting hard. I hunted yesterday afternoon, saw a huge body buck at 300 yards, but he didn't come my way and I didn't have my rattling antlers. I saw 1.5 year old odd shaped 8 point go past the stand, I wasn't interested. I did shoot a nice young doe to fill an antlerless tag, need to go buy another antlerless tag now. I'll be heading out to hunt this afternoon and I have most of the next two weeks off. Hope to fill my landowner any sex tag within that time frame.

Good luck everyone.

HuntingBry 11-04-2009 07:33 AM

I've been out hunting hard too even though I'm tagged out in PA and submitted for the contest. I was in MD over the weekend chasing those big ones we've been seeing down there. I only saw 4 deer the whole time, but they were all bucks and 3 pretty good ones. I passed a 100" 8 that gave me a picture perfect shot at 15 yards broadside looking away from me. All I could do was laugh and think, "try that again next year young fella and you're in some trouble." I saw a really big buck busting out of the field from I don't know what. Definite shooter. I saw a half rack spike on the opposite side of the creek from where I was sitting. Then on my way out I saw a buck in the field. It was pretty dark, but with the moonlight and my binoculars I could make out that he was a pretty decent buck with a high rack. I hope to get down there one more time this year.

Good luck all.

Ken/WV 11-04-2009 04:32 PM

Haven't been getting to hunt much with work but did buy a new Mathews XLR8. Just didnt see anything new for 2010 that I wanted, so I bought the speed bow I been wanting. Should be all setup and ready to go for the week before our rifle season. Going to be a lot of fun.

snake123 11-05-2009 06:59 PM

You guys are gonna kill me. I've searched my computer through and through, and I cannot find a picture of my deer with a bow. I feel horrible. Sorry guys. I don't know what to do

HuntingBry 11-06-2009 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by snake123 (Post 3496905)
You guys are gonna kill me. I've searched my computer through and through, and I cannot find a picture of my deer with a bow. I feel horrible. Sorry guys. I don't know what to do

You are SOOOO dead!:action-smiley-099:

LOL, no worries man. It's a contest just for fun. Post up 2 pics you have in the scoring thread and explain you don't have a pic with the bow. See if they let you enter it. If they do, great, if not, oh well.

Congrats again on the buck. :party0005:

jnrbronc 11-06-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by HuntingBry (Post 3497299)
You are SOOOO dead!:action-smiley-099:

LOL, no worries man. It's a contest just for fun. Post up 2 pics you have in the scoring thread and explain you don't have a pic with the bow. See if they let you enter it. If they do, great, if not, oh well.

Congrats again on the buck. :party0005:

One word: Photochop!:biggrin:

zmax hunter 11-06-2009 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by snake123 (Post 3496905)

Now thats some funny chit ! lol perhaps you can find a road kill buck and get a pic with your bow. or....swap antlers.

Ken/WV 11-07-2009 06:47 PM

lol. If you can snake send me the pic's and I will see what they say when I send them to rob. Worst they can say is no.