HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team BONE TOWN Thread (29) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300914-official-team-bone-town-thread-29-a.html)

Treebeard 11-08-2009 01:20 AM

Hey lads I am from Ontario!

Pops423 11-09-2009 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by snake123 (Post 3496905)
You guys are gonna kill me. I've searched my computer through and through, and I cannot find a picture of my deer with a bow. I feel horrible. Sorry guys. I don't know what to do

It happens. No big deal. Either way, it's a great buck.

Pops423 11-09-2009 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Treebeard (Post 3498661)
Hey lads I am from Ontario!

Cool. Knock us down one of those big Canadian bruisers.

Pops423 11-10-2009 06:51 AM

Went out this am for a bit. Saw a decent buck running thru the top of the apple orchard. Think he was dogging a doe but could never get him to come in.

I'm off tomorrow morning and will hunt for a bit.

Ken/WV 11-11-2009 03:14 PM

Goodluck guys, hope everyone is still hunting.

We need to liven up the thread again....lets keep our heads up.

Pops423 11-12-2009 04:30 AM

Took the morning off and saw 0 deer yesterday. they have just gone dead in my area. This morning on the way to work, drove by my favorite stand and some dumbass put a pop-up blind 15 yards behind my treestand. I can see the freakin thing from the road so I know the deer can see it too. I'm so pissed off this morning.

This guy is a jackass and does this crap every year. Last 2 years, he takes trees that me or another guy have climbed all year and throws a ladder up in them in the last few weeks of the season. He's a friend of the landowners Dad so it doesn't really matter what I say, I'll just look like an ass. Just really caps off my season though. I've got tomorrow and Saturday but don't have much hope at this point.

Pops423 11-16-2009 11:16 AM

So I decided to head out one last time and crawled out of bed Saturday morning. Saw one doe come out of the corn like she was being chased but nothing ever came of it. About 8:20am the landowners dog came up thru the woods, stopped 5 yards in front of my stand and took a dump. Pretty much summed up my season.

On a side note, got an email from a friend yesterday that lives just down the road and said his neighbor shot a big 12 point behind his house on Monday. I'm hoping it's the buck I think I hit back in October. Will make me feel better knowing I didn't waste him. Still waiting on pictures to verify.

Monday after Thanksgiving starts our 2 week rifle season. I plan to hunt with the bow so we will see how things shake out.

Ken/WV 11-16-2009 03:11 PM

Going to hunt Friday and Saturday....rifle season starts Monday and I will not be able to take thebow back out till Wenesday or Thursday that week. Probaly be Thursday. Still waiting on my Monster to come in....pics soon though.

jnrbronc 11-17-2009 03:57 AM

I started back to work yesterday after having most of the last two weeks off, trying to fill a landowners archery tag. I passed a buck early in the vacation, two different days, broadside at 15 yards because I knew from trail cams that there were better deer in the area. Never did see any of the better deer, saw lots of 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks until activity came to a screeching halt due to lock down. I'm resting up at work this week :s2: for an all day hunt this Saturday, hoping to have a buck coming off of one doe looking for the next. The Thanksgiving weekend looks good for similar activity.

Our soybean fields did get harvested a week ago but the corn hasn't been touched and it started raining yesterday. The standing corn is hurting movement as well. Should be a fair amount of fat deer survive hiding in the corn this year is about the only upside of that.

Pops423 11-23-2009 05:51 AM

wow, we are getting thumped now. Down by 230+ points.

Monday after Thanksgiving, PA Rifle season starts. I'll be out with the bow and see what I can do.

Ken/WV 11-27-2009 02:46 AM

Had some trouble getting on the site till this morning. Messed up on a nice buck the other morning, but still optimistic. We will see what happens.

zmax hunter 11-27-2009 05:42 PM

Hey guys, havent been around much lately,...hope Thanksgiving was good for all of you,...i'm still full!, lol

anyway, Good Luck out there, Kansas rifle season starts dec. 2nd,...i will be guiding my wife and daughter, wish us luck!

Ken/WV 11-28-2009 03:54 AM

Finally got cold...and heading out today with the bow...maybe something positive will happen.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their thanksgiving feasts and all the football the past two days.

Pops423 12-01-2009 08:17 AM

Yesterday was opening day of PA rifle season. I slept in as it was pouring rain. Got in the stand at 7:50am and as I'm pulling up the bow I see a nice big bodied buck coming across the field. He feeds in the corn for the next half hour before deciding to make his way past me. The closer he got to me, I realized, his left side was nothing but a main beam. He busted them all off fighting. Never saw another deer all day.

finner 12-01-2009 10:51 AM

Rifle season ended here yesterday, i went out hunted pretty hard the first week, seen a couple smaller bucks but nothing worth shooting. ill be heading out this weekend with the bow and muzzle loader. I have till jan1 to bowhunt and have taken a couple nice bucks in the late season, so i still have hope to get a buck. good luck guys.

jnrbronc 12-03-2009 04:51 AM

Iowa's first shotgun season opens Dec. 5 and archery season is closed during the shotgun seasons. Archery reopens Dec. 21 and closes Jan 10. I've still got my landowner archery tag to fill, think I'll take off work tomorrow morning for one final sit before shotgun season. The neighbor we hire to custom farm our property started harvesting our corn last Monday night and said he'd be done by tomorrow. I drove out past our fields Tuesday night just as the sun was setting and the deer were feeding heavily in the recently cut corn fields. As dead as it had been hunting the edges of the corn field, I thought they might have moved to the river bottom across the road, but I guess they were just laying out in the middle of the corn fields.

I will be out Saturday with the muzzleloader, which is a legal method of take during the shotgun season. I'll be up in a tree, just like with my bow.

jnrbronc 12-04-2009 08:52 AM

Got lucky last night, shotgun season starts tomorrow. 152 4/8"

zmax hunter 12-04-2009 11:23 AM

WOW!, thats awesome!! way to go! ^5!!

finner 12-04-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jnrbronc (Post 3519457)
Got lucky last night, shotgun season starts tomorrow. 152 4/8"

What a beautiful buck, congrats, he's a stud!

Ken/WV 12-06-2009 03:19 PM

Wow, amazing buck. congrats!

jnrbronc 12-06-2009 04:27 PM

I sent all team members a link to a photobucket slide show of trailcam pics. He was one of them.:s4:

He was at the top of my list, so this season was a huge success.

Here's a much more recent trailcam pic of him. I haven't pulled cards it two weeks so I might have a couple newer ones of him, but I won't be getting any more.

Pops423 12-07-2009 04:19 AM

Congrats on a fine buck. One of these days, it's all going to come together for me here in PA.

Pops423 12-07-2009 04:20 AM

I hunted a few hours Saturday afternoon. About 4:20 I had a pretty nice 8 point that was hobbling really badly from a bum leg show up in the corn. Spent the next 35 minutes trying to grunt and bleat him out of the corn but he just stood there in one spot and never moved. May try to get back out there today for an hour after work.

zmax hunter 12-07-2009 10:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry, forgot to post this for you guys here to see. I guided my wife last wedn for the afternoon hunt, about 4:45 she shot this nice 9 pointer with a couple kickers. Her buck scored 147 and weighed 260lbs on the hoof. She shot him with her .257 Roberts

started hunting with my daughter this past weekend,....I blew a chance on a nice buck for her. We'll go again on wedn and this coming sat and sun,...temps are way cold and we have a trace of snow with alot more in the forecast. Happy hunting guys

jnrbronc 12-07-2009 04:37 PM

Shotgun season started last Saturday. I took my ML out and camped out in a funnel. I saw lots of deer, but Friday night I decided that I wouldn't shoot a buck unless it was the biggest of the year. I'd seen a true monster on that property Nov. 15, so memories of him made it easier to pass a couple of the nicer bucks. We have what they call a blizzard moving in, season ends Wednesday, so tomorrow I'm going to try some still hunting in the snow. I also will be looking for a doe to fill my tag.

That's pretty much going to be it for me this year. I do have two archery antlerless tags left, one for each of the two counties I hunt. I might go out once or twice before Jan. 10, but I won't be hunting hard like I have been.

Good luck to everybody and Happy Holidays.

Pops423 12-08-2009 09:18 AM

Went out last evening for an hour and had a nice night. Filmed a doe under my stand and ended up seeing 2 bucks and 8 doe. A real nice 8 point but stayed in the apples about 50 yards out and a second bigger bodied buck that already dropped his antlers. Wednesday will be my last hunt of the PA rifle season. I'll be back at it after Christmas.

Good luck guys.

Pops423 12-14-2009 05:42 AM

Well I'm done in PA until after Christmas. Did check my stand out and found a pine tree had fallen in the upper end of the orchard where a lot of the deer where hanging out. Cleaned it all up and have myself a nice ground blind. Now just need a good S or SW wind after Christmas to hunt it.

jnrbronc 12-17-2009 05:43 AM

Zmax,

Awesome buck your wife shot! Good job on the guiding.

As previously posted, I hunted Iowa's first shotgun season. I saw lots of bucks, just none I wanted to shoot. On the fourth day of the five day season, I decided to take a doe in the snow. I have a couple of antlerless only archery tags left and plan to get out a time or two before the end of season on Jan. 10.

finner 12-21-2009 01:03 PM

Well guys yesterday afternoon i put a shot on a decent 8 point, He was quartering away slightly when i shot, to me the shot looked good a tad foward maybe but not much i watched as my lighted nock went right in behind the shoulder, but made a loud noise as it hit. He took off fast like he was hit hard and ran real low to the ground. i gave him 40 mins and went to look for my arrow. it was laying there a few feet in the direction he ran from where i shot him. There was bright red blood and hair 8 inches up on the arrow with no broadhead on it. i grabbed the arrow and went back to my truck to wait for dark and for my dad to come meet me. We took up the trail a few hours later, there was no blood to speak of for about 50 yards, then there was good blood for about 100 yards and thats were we found his bed. Only a little blood in his bed and after he got up out of his bed the blood completely dissapeard. I got a feeling we may have bumped him out of his bed, but knowing the shot i put on him i thought he would of been dead. we then backed out and i went back out this morning but when i woke up there was a inch of fresh snow added to 12 we already got, i was bummed to say the least, i looked for 3.5 hours and couldnt find him. Guys im really sick i couldnt find this deer and to be honest i think he may be dead somewhere. this is only the second deer i lost in my hunting career and man it stinks.

Pops423 12-22-2009 05:21 AM

I know the feeling. Still sick over my earlier season buck. If you think he is down, get back out there and search. Good luck.

finner 12-22-2009 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pops423 (Post 3536180)
I know the feeling. Still sick over my earlier season buck. If you think he is down, get back out there and search. Good luck.

Yeah im going to go look again today at noon time, If he is down im sure the wolves or coyotes probally got him. What makes it hard is the snowfall we got he will be covered, but ill go anyway and keep my fingers crossed. thanks pops.

Well i went back out and could not find him, i covered a big area and couldnt find any predator tracks or sign of him being down. The more i think about the shot i think i may have hit him in the shoulder. i just hope he lived. Man it sure sucks, i waited all year for a buck of this size to walk in and i screw it up.

Ill be back out this weekend to hunt some more. I seen 7 different bucks this past weekend in this big apple orchard im hunting, watched 4 of them sparring 30 yards from me. Some of the smaller bucks are shedding there antlers already also. Good to the guys that are still hunting.

Merry Christmas Guys!

Ken/WV 12-26-2009 09:49 PM

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you got some cool gifts and are ready for new years!

zmax hunter 01-09-2010 01:07 PM

Well guys,...its been a great season, enjoying the woods. The contest has been great with all of you. I hope to see you all next year. Shed season is here if not quickly approaching and I will keep my cameras in the woods. Happy belated New Year !!

jnrbronc 01-09-2010 03:27 PM

Season ends tomorrow, though as far as this contest is concerned, I've been done for months.

I have an antlerless tag yet, so I plan on doing one more evening hunt. Snow is deep, temps are frigid, not even sure I'll shoot if given the opportunity, but I HAVE to be in a tree on the last day, just like the opener.

Hope everyone had a good season and Happy Holidays. I also wish everyone the best for 2010.