HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team BONE TOWN Thread (29) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300914-official-team-bone-town-thread-29-a.html)

Ken/WV 08-27-2009 07:11 PM

zmax you can change the name of our team on the original post.

HuntingBry 08-28-2009 08:11 AM

So, does anyone on our team have any graphics arts skills or know anyone who does? We need to get ourselves an official Team Bone Town avatar.

zmax hunter 08-29-2009 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ken/WV (Post 3422311)
zmax you can change the name of our team on the original post.

aei aei Kap in ( insert salute) I like the name, good choice!

I got 3 more pics of Mr. Spread, not very good ones but he is back, working on some stands and seeting 2 cameras on other lands today

My season starts sept 21, WOOHOO

Pops423 08-30-2009 06:42 AM

So LightsOut is our only no show?? Do we need to ask for an alternate yet?

Ken/WV 08-30-2009 12:23 PM

We will give him to tuesday, and then I'll make the request for a replacement.

Did a lot of scouting today....special doe season is in two weeks, and regular season is second saturday in october.

HuntingBry 08-31-2009 07:04 AM

Well fellas, I went out this weekend and checked one of my trail cams. I had 1150 pictures on it in a week's time. I've got 3 shooters on camera and then I did a loop around the area to see what might be running around that I don't have on trail camera.

I saw a really nice 8 that was hard horned. He has an 18-19" spread and really good mass. His tines are a bit short, in the 7 inch range, but he would definitely get it. I saw another big 8 whose rack was equally big on both sides, but the main beams were not even. He was very tall and wide and would likely score close to 130". These were across the road from the properties I hunt, but definitely share the woodlot I hunt during the rut.

In the field attached to the woodlot I have permission on I saw a number of good bucks including some of the shooters that I have on camera. There is a hard horned buck that I believe is an 8 that I don't have on camera that is very big. There is also another 8 that is in velvet that is an absolute stud. He is tall, wide, and heavy. There is another buck that I got a picture of with my SLR camera from the road that is either a 9 or a 10.

I'm going to set up on that field tomorrow in the hedgerow with my camera and tripod and try to get some pictures and video of these guys.

This season has more potential for good bucks for me than any season I have in recent memory. And that is just one of my spots.

I'm getting fired up.

jnrbronc 08-31-2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by HuntingBry (Post 3425144)

This season has more potential for good bucks for me than any season I have in recent memory. And that is just one of my spots.

I'm getting fired up.

That's what I like to hear! Go get 'em! :party0007:

Ken/WV 08-31-2009 04:01 PM

Last chance for LightsOut before I request a new member.

Pops423 09-03-2009 06:46 AM

Any word on a new member yet?

Anyone been out scouting seeing any bucks?

zmax hunter 09-03-2009 06:39 PM

hey guys, how we doing? i will be checking cams, prob. sunday, should be able to post up some pics, still havent seen anything without velvet here but they should be losing it very soon, now till maybe next 3 weeks.

mostly ready to go, just need to go thru stuff one more time, lol

counting the days,........18..............17.......:barmy:

Pops423 09-04-2009 04:27 AM

In PA, we still have about a month to go. October 3rd. Although, I won't start hunting hard until Mid October.

I'm still not seeing any good bucks on my camera. I'm hearing they are there from others but yet to see anthing shootable.

Ken/WV 09-04-2009 09:29 AM

I put in the request for a new member. Hopefully we'll have one really soon. I am glad to have 4 days off for the holiday, and will do some scouting this weekend. Hope everyone enjoys their time off if they get it.

Treebeard 09-04-2009 06:32 PM

Hey guys I love the team name and I and congrats Ken or should I say Kaptain Ken! :)
works been nuts so I hope to get in on the banter closer to the season.
Take care

Ken/WV 09-05-2009 08:51 AM

So whats new team? Our early bow season starts next Monday the 14th. :-)

Paddles 09-05-2009 03:50 PM

I went out today to check on my stand and set up a trail cam. I saw a few medium size 3" dia. tree rubs and some territorial scrapes. When the big boys start rubbing the trees they are in the 6-8"dia. range. I also ended up coming across a decent 8 pointer in the soybean and he was still in velvet. I'm guessing he may have scored 100-110". My buddy was with and told me that the other bucks he's been seeing are way bigger than that so I guess we'll see what happens.

finner 09-07-2009 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ken/WV (Post 3431126)
So whats new team? Our early bow season starts next Monday the 14th. :-)

Got to wait till Oct 1st here. Seems like there's quite a few bucks around this year, been seeing them driving around right at dusk, seeing nothing real huge but a few nice 2.5 year olds. i got one more set to hang this week, at a different property i got permission to hunt this fall, 80 acres of mixed forest with a couple fields that surround it and nice big apple orchard that sits right in the middle....Bring on oct 1st man i cant wait!

jnrbronc 09-07-2009 06:51 AM

I got back from a week long business trip and couldn't wait to visit my trail cams as I was hearing that the bucks were shedding (gotta love the internet!). :(

I noticed a couple of trees had been worked over, lower branches of a locust tree snapped off on the edge of a hayfield.

In a holding pattern for the Oct. 1 opener.

Here's a couple of pics, in velvet, then shed out:

Pops423 09-08-2009 07:00 AM

nice looking buck. I have one on TC out of velvet, but he's just a wide short tined, thin racked 7 point. I also saw a great looking 1 1/2 old 8 point last night that needs a few years. Problem is, some knucklehead will see 4 points on a side and say he's legal and shoot him. I'll post pictures when I can.

HuntingBry 09-08-2009 07:53 AM

Got out yesterday and set up some stand sites down in MD. The opener is a week from today. We had some good bucks on camera earlier in the summer, but now all we have is a 2.5 year old 7 point that's still in velvet. I'm not worried because the bucks often change their patterns after shedding velvet. While getting gear from the car we did see a big 8 in the field with a doe so we know he is still around. If that 7 point shows up and still has solid velvet he is going to get it. I've never shot a buck in velvet and would love to get one.

Almost all of the bucks in PA are out of velvet now, but I'm still seeing them on camera. I pulled the camera to keep pressure out of the woods for the last month. I know what's in there at this point. I did get a nice surprise though with a new big 8 point that looks really good still in velvet.

Good luck to those that will be out soon.

Pops423 09-11-2009 04:34 AM

So do we have a full team yet? or are we still waiting on an alternate?

Anyone's season starting soon?

HuntingBry 09-14-2009 08:25 AM

Well fellas I'm heading down to MD tonight and will be hunting the opener tomorrow.

Wish me luck.:biggrin:

Pops423 09-14-2009 09:15 AM

Good luck. Score a big one for us.

Guys, on a side note, I saw the buck I'll be chasing this year. Let's just say, I may give up bowhunting if I can score on this one!!

finner 09-14-2009 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingBry (Post 3440365)
Well fellas I'm heading down to MD tonight and will be hunting the opener tomorrow.

Wish me luck.:biggrin:

Good luck tommorrow, i hope you have a great hunt and lay down a Big old buck!

jnrbronc 09-14-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pops423 (Post 3440453)
Let's just say, I may give up bowhunting if I can score on this one!!

Ha, ain't a deer born yet that would have me quit hunting if I harvested it, different strokes for different folks. Good luck on what sounds like a bruiser, though.

Also good luck to HuntingBry in Md.

Ken/WV 09-14-2009 04:56 PM

Early season opener came in today....but its doe only and goes out on Saturday. I will probaly be out friday and saturday though. See what is stirring around in some areas I don't hunt much.

Ken/WV 09-14-2009 05:16 PM

Update, we still are waiting on a alternate from what I can see looking through the forum.

Pops423 09-15-2009 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by jnrbronc (Post 3440831)
Ha, ain't a deer born yet that would have me quit hunting if I harvested it, different strokes for different folks. Good luck on what sounds like a bruiser, though.

Ya, probably overstating but don't think I'll ever be able to top it.

jnrbronc 09-15-2009 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pops423 (Post 3441355)
Ya, probably overstating but don't think I'll ever be able to top it.

I always find it fun to try to top the last big one. :happy0001:

Pops423 09-15-2009 09:28 AM

Yeah, we need an alternate. I see some teams are already on the board.

We still have some time to go in PA until we get started. I think I'm going to do some scouting and stand setting in the next few days.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-15-2009 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by zmax hunter (Post 3411788)
Official Team 29

35 Pops423
359 jnrbronc
284 Treebeard
13 Ken/WV
114 finner
95 Paddles
201 Huntingbry
alt cjahlert
226 zmax hunter
104 snake123

Alternate placed, please contact him and welcome him in.

Pops423 09-16-2009 04:33 AM

Thanks Rob

HuntingBry 09-16-2009 06:53 AM

Well fellas I wish I had better news. After getting up at 3 and getting to the spot extra early, quietly walking the opposite side of a hedge row and slipping into our stands and being set up at 5 am for a 6:20 sunrise we were sabotaged by some other hunters who decided it would be a good idea to head to their stands at 6 and use an ATV through an active field to get there. Oh and one guy was sitting IN the bedding area.:rant:

I saw nothing all day and was pretty frustrated since my opportunities to hunt down there are limited. My buddy missed a Poper just before dark. It came past and he misjudged the distance after struggling to get him stopped.

Oh well, that's hunting. Back to the drawing board.

Welcome to the team cjahlert.

cjahlert 09-16-2009 09:49 AM

alternate here

Hi guys

sorry I'm late. Great to finally be placed on a team. Season in AR doesn't open until the Oct 1. Bucks are still in velvet here, but haven't seen alot of wall hangers. Lots of does, so hopefully the boys will be close by.

This is only my second bow season, I got a late start last year, but I'm looking forward to this year. 3 stands plus a climber. small plots planted on 1 stand and an area for the climber.

My gear:
Hoyt Magnatec
Trophy Ridge Matrix
Anchor sight
Tru-fire release
Real tree A/P camo

Glad to be aboard and I'll try not to embarrass myself to bad.

Everyone have a safe season.:party0005:

Chris

jnrbronc 09-16-2009 02:17 PM

Hey cjahlert!

Like you, I'm in a holding pattern for Oct. 1.

Welcome, climb aboard and best of luck!

Randy

finner 09-16-2009 06:05 PM

Welcome to the Team cjahlert! only 2 more weeks here also and i can finally get out hunting.

Pops423 09-17-2009 07:58 AM

welcome aboard cjahlert.

Ken/WV 09-18-2009 01:10 PM

Welcome to the team! If you need anything just let me know, as I can help you with pics and anything else pretty much.

I hunted this morning and could have taken a doe pretty easy but held off. I just enjoyed being out. Going back in a just a few minutes and then again tomorrow. If nothing comes close tonight I should be able to take my doe in the morning. Then monday starts a early muzzleloader season for a doe, and then its the wait till the second saturday in october.

Paddles 09-19-2009 08:19 AM

welcome cjahlert! I made some shooting lanes out at my spot last week and checked my camera. I had like 5 pictures of deer but nothing impressive. I hunt on the border of 4c and 5c in pa. So hopefully all the doe hunters push the buck onto to my side(4c). Won't be out until the 3rd. Good Luck to those hunting and to those that will be!

Ken/WV 09-20-2009 01:56 PM

Seen several deer over this past weekends early season but didnt release a arrow with the warm weather. Could have several times. Did see a couple small bucks but nothing to brag about. Early muzzleloader starts tomorrow and goes through saturday....again doe only but dont know how much I like the idea of a early muzzleloader season.

jnrbronc 09-21-2009 02:38 PM

Went and bought a hand full of tags over my lunch hour last Friday. Picked up an archery fall turkey because I've seen them from the deer stand every fall, but never had a tag. Figure what the heck, might as well give it a go. Picked up 6 deer tags, too, so that should be a start.:D