Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Indoor Leagues
 Ok, this really impressed me.... >

Ok, this really impressed me....

Community
2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

Ok, this really impressed me....

Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Default Ok, this really impressed me....

Well, I've been in the process of changing my hunting bow over to a target rig since season ended, all the while shooting this league. So it's been a bit of a transition, and I've been trying to determine what arrows to shoot.

Well, after a little argument, some research, and availability, I made up my target arrows today. I decided on a 2613 X7 Eclipse. I needed to slow my bow down to fall in regulations, and I simply knew that the Carbon Express CXL I was thinking about just wasn't gonna get that done. I shoot MUCH better w/ heavier poundage, so I didn't want to turn my bow down to 62# ......So I figured a heavier aluminum would be the way to go.

I fletched them w/ 4" pink feathers (which look awesome on the black shaft w/ black nock), and will get another half dozen that I will fletch w/ black feathers. I want all black for 3D.

These are big diameter so they will be awesome for this league, I'm pretty pumped to see how they do next week.

Now here is the part that really impressed me. My finished arrow weighs in at 490 grains, 7.1 gpp of draw weight. My Vectrix Plus is launching those bad boys 282 fps, I was STUNNED. That set up is producing.......86 pounds of KE, and some serious momentum.

I've been on a short ATA, light arrow speed kick the last couple years. I've never shot over 300 fps, until last year. I was shooting a 355 grain arrow 318 fps, and it was cool. But, I just don't have the precision I'm looking for. My mind is slowly swaying the other direction again. I'm getting over my speed kick, been there, done that. Next year I'll also be changing to a longer ATA bow, something along the lines of a Seven37, depending on what Hoyt offers next year.

After shooting these X7's, I may also be going back to aluminum. I'm not sure on that yet, I REALLY like my Maxima Hunters. I'm learning, however, that small diameter, light carbons aren't all they're cracked up to be. I nearly herniated myself 3 times today trying to get them out of a 3D turkey. Those X7's come right out, and hit A LOT harder.

I dunno, I think what I'm getting at is it's time for me to mix things up a little. Slow things down a bit, gain some control and stop fighting everything so much, just go with it. I mean, for cryin out loud.....If I can shoot a nearly 500 grain over 280 fps......Good grief, what more could a guy ask for.

Sorry this got so long, I've got an aweful lot of "stuff" going on in this pea brain of mine......I'm just learning sooooooo much, and working at the shop has enabled me to try almost everything......Which is the part of archery that I truely love, messing and tinkering, seeing what this does, how does that work? I'm pretty excited going into this summer, and my brain is going a mile a minute.......so thanks for listening to this rabble.......Peace out.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ok, this really impressed me....

Oh boy, hes going back to the pinkys Don i wish i had the knowlage you have on the arrow weight grain thing, and KE. thats a compliment Happy shootin!!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are AWESOME target arrows. I almost got some of these actually.

However! You won't like those Aluminum shafts when you start shooting 3d with people. I'd suspect that they will get beat up pretty good. Not sure if, or how bad it will affect them, but I guess you'll find out!

As far as long ATA. I'll agree, I'm more comfortable with a longer ATA. I'm still up for grabs for my hunting bow in 08'. I know I'll be hunting with the Cardiac, but I feel obligated to shoot atleast one bow that came from my shop [&:]. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks blood.....I'm a bit of a math nerd......
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

And bloodcreek is nothing but a nerd!

>>>BAM<<<
Old 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Yeah Matt, I agree....they're probly gonna get banged up a little, but that's why I'll fletch my 3D arrows in all black. At least limit the chances somewhat.....

But hey, even so..... I know a guy, and we can make more.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you ever want anything made again?? i can cut you off ya know [:@][:-]
ORIGINAL: Tuco

>>>BAM<<<
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Do you ever want anything made again?? i can cut you off ya know [:@][:-]
ORIGINAL: Tuco

>>>BAM<<<
That's what your wife said ........
Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking arrows (for a girl). Just kidding. They really look great.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Don... all that stuff is wonderful!!!! Maybe if you do some more calculations before the GTG you won't lose the shootoff Okay okay, low blow I know.

Well done brother, i think you need some pink wraps to go along with those.

Quick Reply: Ok, this really impressed me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.