Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Whackem & Trackem Thread (47) >

Official Team Whackem & Trackem Thread (47)

Community

Official Team Whackem & Trackem Thread (47)

Old 09-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Official Team 47 Thread

hey guys, its been a while sence ive been on but im still here! ok so i finally got my dad to break down and buy and doghouse blind yesterday...were gonna set it up tommorow...he didnt want to spent the money on a tree stand but o well....also i got some new arrows...carbon force's....they fly pretty good...and i finally moved from 20 yards to 30 yards to practice....im doin alright but im not quite comfortable with it yet...but as they say..practice makes perfect!!!!....4 days till the opener! cant wait! good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck. I took my first bow deer out of a dog house. Find a good spot to brush it in and off you go.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

good luck guys !!! my season is going good so far !!!!! if anybody has any ? about anything feel free to ask me !!! or if anybody has any input about the team let me know an well giver a try!!! Good luck everybody
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I am violating a man law (no pic) but we're on the board tomorrow when I post pics of the 6 pointer I tagged tonight. He isn't huge but it was my first bow buck and I am tickled to death with it!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Spike

Congrats, Can't wait to hear the story and see the pics. Awesome!!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys, here he is. He's not huge by any means but he has a nice size body and respectable rack, especially for my first bow buck. The story is this: Last night, I got off work a little early and thought I'd try to sneak in the last couple of hours of daylight in our woods.

As I was preparing to get into my ground blind, I noticed something moving off to my right. I froze and spotted this buck at about 30-40 yards out. He's just staring at me, so I look away as if I don't notice. I had an arrow nocked. I aways do on the way to the stand or blind. And I slowly turn and take a few steps forward, drawing as I do. I settle the pin on him as he's still standing there and release.

He jumped and ran about 50 yards. I thought I hit him but I can't see any entry or exit hole. Then he started hunching up his back and staggering and I thought, great, gut shot. I watch him bed down in some light brush about 100 yards away now and so I back out slowly.

I went back to the house and then headed out again an hour later, moving, veeeery slowly. I know that probably wasn't enough time but its kind of warm here and I was concerned he might go into the corn across the road. So I had thought, if can get close enough, I'm going to empty my quiver before I even check to see if he's expired.

I finally get to the brush and he's not there but there's blood, a lot of blood everywhere. And its headed toward the road and the cornfield. But right as I get to the edge of the woods, the blood stops and there he is laying in the tall grass right beside the township road.

Turns out I nailed him right through the neck. Not the shot I wanted, and the opposite of what I thought. Not sure exactly how that happened. Bow shot fine today. I must have fliched or the arrow could have deflected. Regardless, he bled out quickly and stopped right before the corn.

I am more excited for my four year old than anything. He kept saying how happy he was and stroking the buck's side. When he climbed on top of the buck and lifted his head up by the antlers, that was too much for my wife who told him to "get off that thing!" lol.

A wonderful evening in Minnesota.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Spike

Absolutely Awesome!!!!! Great story. It's amazing how sometimes you can make a lot of movement and they don't know what to do, but other times, you blink the wrong way and you're out of there. Way to go.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

great job man wayto go good story it was a good read, way to get the team on the board
Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Congrads man !!!! were on the board WOOHOO

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

did u score him???

Quick Reply: Official Team Whackem & Trackem Thread (47)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.