Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26) >

Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26)

Community

Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 26 Thread

Was this a bow or gun kill?? you mentioned flipping the safety off. congrats, we need pics
ORIGINAL: bob d

ok here is the story. i have not hunted much this year ,working overtime out of town so not much time ,but friday we were rained out so i went and the only deer i saw came in at near quiting time and presented a shot and i missed , still have not figured out how.
so saturday morning i go to another stand and was not there but about 5 minutes and saw a deer come out of the woods about 200 yards away . it was still dark and i could not make out if it was a buck or not , it made it's way across the field behind some trees when it came back into field of view i could see a rack . stayed out ther some 150 to 200 yards moving across in front of me but going away to the east . i got out the grunt call and rattle bag and hit each a couple of times. he made a bee line for my stand and stopped about 8 yards out with his head only exposed. he stepped out a couple of steps and when i went to squeeze the trigger i still had the safety on , flipped the safety off and drilled him. he went about 60 to 70 yards just inside the tree line and i heard him crash. i waited about 1/2 hour and went over and claimed my prize.

the two bucks in this story were not the same bucks but were on the same property
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

bow or gun??? i hope your gonna say bow.. either way tho congrats

Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on the deer bob-d!

I do not have the good news that i would like to report after the SD trip. As a group we took 3 deer - 2 small bucks and a doe. I didn't have the oppurtunity that i would have like for my deer. I saw a handful of shooter whitetails - nothing terribly big though. I would have to guess i didn't cross any paths with one that would go over 140". Usually every year we at least see some of these deer. I had plenty of chances for smaller bucks but i didn't go out there to shoot a small buck. The only chance i had on a nice deer was a Muley at 45 yds. I was sitting in a natural blind on the ground and he came in behind me. The blind wasn't set for a shot back there so i had to watch him walk by and try again the following day. I did see him again but never close enough.

I would say that the buck activity was down and there was minimal sign of rutting bucks. All of the Whitetail bucks that i saw were in bach groups and seemed to enjoy the group. There was minimal scraps/rubs/fighting. We went a week later this year to try and hit the rut better buy no luck. Maybe next year.

I still have a good oppurtunity at my place. I know there are nice bucks on the property but haven't seen them in a while. I got my stand back up last night and noticed 3 scraps along the field edge that i hunt. the wind is suppose to be out of the south this weekend and that is what i need.

Good luck all - it is go time.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doe down this morning

Its on now with the bucks!!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

nice bird there blood.

Is that a HB lid?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

????? BIRD ???? [&:]yep thats an HB lid, i had five of them but gave one to a bud...im down to four
ORIGINAL: triggertrav

nice bird there blood.

Is that a HB lid?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe. I have had zero time as usual, but will be getting out this weekend. The chasing is on in ne IA so heres hoping. Luck, all.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

Was this a bow or gun kill?? you mentioned flipping the safety off. congrats, we need pics [quote]ORIGINAL: bob d

yes it was a bow kill ,i shoot an excalibur crossbow , i will get score ands pics up this weekend

Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

well - i finally got out here in MN. The wind was perfect and i have been waiting a while for the wind to be out of the south for a while so i can hunt the stand that i wanted to. i have seen plenty of activity in the area but haven't been out in the trees. I have the benefit of overlooking the hay field that i like to hunt from the kitchen widow.

Anyhow it ended up being a pretty slow night. One doe came out at about 200 yds 15 min before dark. After sitting a bit longer i decided it was time to pull up the rope. As soon as i got it up to the stand i heard the crashing start to my left. Being to dark to see in the thicket, i pulled up the binos to watch a big doe and her fawns come come out to the field directly in front of me. As soon as they hit the hay i can hear the crunching of more steps coming from the opposite direction. In no time at all a young buck comes blasting out and chases after all three of the deer, mainly chasing the fawns around. after a short chase period he gives a few grunts and comes at me and heads to the woods. He came by at about 20 yards and just a small 6 basket. Still fun to watch.

Hopefully i will get out a few more times before the orange team hits the woods. Opens on the 8th and i am hoping for 3 more good nights.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Good morning ya'll. Its4:38 AM and I am about ready to walk out the door and put us on the board!! Going to a good spot on the backside of a wooly thicket. Takin some "poppers" with me and hoping to rattle and snort wheeze a monster in ................... WHHHAACCKKK

Quick Reply: Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.