Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26) >

Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26)

Community

Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26)

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 AM

Default RE: Official Team 26 Thread

Good luck to all of you! I'm having to hunt through y'alls stories right now so keep em coming!

Nice job on the doe bloodcrick!!

Bob D great job on getting a buck.....let's get that score up!

Guys, I'm still hoping to get out and away from repairing my house to do some hunting. There's a slim chance but I might get to get out next weekend. I'm gonna try like hell.

Anyway I just wanted to check in and say GOOD LUCK!!

Waid
Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

November 1, 2008: I had reason to feel great about the evening’s hunt. I was hunting a great funnel and the chase phase was almost peaking. I was sitting in a natural blind on the bank of a pond in the middle of a great funnel. The back corner of a large unpicked cornfield was above the pond and three draws necked up to the pond from various directions, in between the draws were tall CRP fields. The area around the pond was torn up with rubs and scrapes, I had hung a trail camera on a scrape in the vicinity over a week ago and had gotten photos of at least two mature bucks – a large framed 8 and a short tined but massive dark antlered 10. The wind was perfect – east southeast. There was no action all afternoon so I just watched the birds and chipmunks. It was relatively warm so I was not surprised at the lack of movement early. As it grew darker, I began to wonder why I still felt confident – still nothing showed up. At about 5:50, that changed. I heard the crunch crunch crunch of deer steps coming down the draw next to the corn at the top of the pond – a little three point appeared and ambled down for a drink, then proceeded past me at about 30 feet. As he passed, I heard a deep grunt from where he came and knew a big buck was coming. I was worried about the little buck winding me after he passed but I couldn’t do anything about it. I first saw a body and dark tines coming toward me and realized which buck it was – the 10 point. Instead of coming to drink however, he started cutting up the hill and around the far side of the pond. He ducked behind a clump of cedars and I knew it was my only chance before he was too far away. As he started to come out from the cedars I drew - although I don’t remember doing it. He cleared the trees and I stopped him with a soft grunt. He was 42 yards and my 35 yard pin caught right on his spine (I shoot a 2 pin setup and love it). I don’t remember the release – I never do – all I remember was the impact of the arrow into his chest, a bit low and forward but still in the vitals. Because the arrow caught shoulder on both sides it did not pass through, but still penetrated up to the fletch. The deer hopped, snapped the arrow, and raced off into the CRP field. After my nerves settled, I proceeded to the point of impact. Both sides of the arrow were laying there, broken about 4 inches below the fletching, red blood all over the ground. I knew the shot was not perfect so I waited till morning – my policy is if in doubt always wait - and the next morning we found him 150 yards into the CRP. A beautiful 10, he will gross 141 and change. He is not bulked up like most bucks get but he has a massive framed body. We got 115 lbs of boneless meat off of him. I have not had much time to hunt again this year but have enjoyed every minute of it and right now I feel blessed.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 AM

Great Job Joe!!!!!!!!! That's a great buck!
CONGRATS!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a couple more pics...Trail cam

and one in the field ( I have never shot a deer with such a black tail):
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

beautiful deer joe - congrats!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Atta boy Joe thats a beauty. we are on the board ladies and gentlemen Well i have been huting REAL hard. Im beat but still pushing on. I have seen a ton a bucks and came very very close to letting one fly this morning on a 160 class. he just would not give me the shot.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

All right guys....I wanna see some deer pics on here after this weekend! Dont make me lonely! I know it has to be the peak of the rut for most of you!

Its snowing like you wouldnt believe right now....wish I was in the woods! Luck everybody!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey everyone. Well the bucks are starting to run does down here in Southern Indiana. I blasted my first doe of the year last night. Sorry I dont have pics yet I haven't got them developed. I just wanted to inform you. It was 28 deg this morning and I have tomorrow off. ITS GAME TIME!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Fellas I did get to go huntin finally. I went Saturday and saw a doe with a fawn, a young spike, a narrow8-point, and a BIG bodied spike, no shot opportunities though. It was sure nice to be in the woods though, I loved every second of it. I'm "hoping" to get out again this weekend.

Good Luck,
Waid
Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Rifle season is about over here in MN and i haven't filled my buck tag with the rifle tag - so i still have an oppurtunity at one with the bow. I was in Northern MN over the last week rifle hunting and it was pretty slow. Hunted Thurs-Sat and only saw 2 deer on stand. Did a push on Friday and chased 10 deer out of a single wood lot. I had a great buck come at me but he was missing his left side of the headgear. I let him keep running and took a doe shortly after. Hopefully i will get out bowhunting again soon.

Good luck all.

Quick Reply: Official Team Midwest Monster Maulers Thread (26)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.