Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team November Horn Doggs Thread (4) >

Official Team November Horn Doggs Thread (4)

Community

Official Team November Horn Doggs Thread (4)

Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 4 Thread

Go get a monster Wheatley!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, Where are those deer at?? I got back last night but had to leave this morning for my business trip. I did shoot a buck and I have the pictures at home and will post them up and score him later this week. He is not huge but I believe he is bigger than the one I shot last year.

Story: Thursday morning I get to my stand and there is a 35mph constant wind with gust up to 50mph and snowing/sleeting. So I opted to sit on the ground in my folding chair. Two minutes after legal light a Fawn comes running by bleeting and wandering around. Ten minutes later a 3 X 1 comes in at 20 yards and I just watched him walk on by. He broke off all his tines on the left side. After a couple of hours I decided to start stalking since the deer would have a hard time hearing me. I walked up on numerous does that were just milling around and finally came to a treeline that opened up to a pretty large field. I seen a very large buck probably 130's out in the field pacingback and forth. He started running towards the trees I was in but heading a little further south from where I was at into some very thick brush. I walked around looking for him but never found him. I did find two other bucks over there though and wondered if that is why he started heading that way to chase them off. Therewas a 4 X 3 and good 4 x4 atabout 20 yards from me in the brush. They moved off so I continued to close the distance. I walked arounda brush standand the 4 x 4 was laying down and looking right at me at 15 yards. I tried to draw but he jumped up and bolted. I walked around more brush and found the 4 x 3 laying down about what I thought was 30 yards. I watched him for about 90 minutes before he stood up. He turned and was quartering away so I drew and put the 30 yardpin on him. I let it go and it was heading for a perfect shot but I was too low andit went right under his belly and hit his offsideleg.

I chased him around through all kinds of brush stands totry to get another arrow in him and had oneopportunitybut my arrow glanced off some brush and went high. He then jumped into the river and same across it to the north side ofthe lake. This is the first deer I haveever wounded and I felt horrible so I went home for the day.

Next day was windy as wellso I walked around most of the morning and didn't have much luck withfinding anything other than spikes and two points or does. Soabout at 2:00 in the afternoon I went toa spot where I have shot my deer the last threeyears now.There is a large brush area and then a small field that goes to another small brush stand that is a staging area. I was set up on the north side of the small staging area and as soon as I sat down I seen movement about 80 yards away near the large brush stand. About 3:30 the movementI seen started heading my way andI could see that it was a buck. I was in front of a tree and some brush and he was walking quartering towards me. Hewalked through the field and I followed him turning in my chair when he looked the other way. He stoped and looked at me after I had my bow raisedready to draw so I held still. He walked another three steps and is almost to the trees and brush and looked away for a second so I drew back. He started walking again and I grunted at him twice to get him to stop. He was about 16 yards from me and I putthe arrow right through both lungs and he ran through the trees into another field and stoped to look back and then tipped over sideways and it was all done.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Wheatley! Can't wait to see the pics.
I spent a cold windy weekend in NW IL but the only shot opportunity was a small spike buck. Could've shot him twice two different times, but my aim was a respectable buck or a doe. A lot of chasing in the sanctuary/Nature Preserve behind me. The property hunts poorly on NW wind and that is what we had. This weekend will be the same so I'm going to hunt the home stand where NW winds are perfect. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Wheat!! Sounds like a crazy couple of days, I hope to seeas muchactivity as you did.
I'll be bowhunting for the next 7 days in Southern Illinois, and go right into the gun season in Central Ill.
The first few days weather forecastlooks kinds brutal, but I'll be out there.
My Grand Cherokee is PACKED with my entire arsenal!!
Update when I return, hopefully with good news

Good Luck Everyone
Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got him entered and scored tonight. He came in at just under 80". Good luck to you guys who are out there or heading out.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the bucks Wheat and Medic!

Well team I hunted hard every morning and night of our short lil archery season this year with no big buck sightings. It's boom season now [:@] and I'm still holding the stick and string most of the time. When the weather is really crappy I grab the muzzleloader.My girlfriend was laid off a few weeks ago and we had to cut some things including internetbut now thatmyvacation is overI'll be checking in from work.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thinkthe main rut is over here in IL. I've had no shot opportunities on a quality buck (or doe for that matter) but I'm not giving up yet. There's no Gun season in my county and I plan to be out whenever possible, tomorrow for example. Time to lay down the estrous scent and attract the Bucks that are still looking!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Team, I killed a big doe anda beautiful double throat patch buck last week!!
Story and score coming soon, but here's a pic for ya

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Lord, where is my team? Y'all better be hunting

Pics and story are on the main page.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer SRH, he is beautiful and big. I have been having computer problems lately. Where is everyone else?

Quick Reply: Official Team November Horn Doggs Thread (4)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.