Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Death From Above Thread (31) >

Official Team Death From Above Thread (31)

Community

Official Team Death From Above Thread (31)

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 31 Thread

Nice buck John. Hope everyone has been doing good. I have been out on the 4th and the 6th with very little action in the morning and deer all around me in the evening. I am in quite a bit of a slump after a couple of bad events on stand.

In almost 20 years of bowhunting, prior to this weekend I had only wounded and not recovered a deer one time, ever. I have done it twice in two sits, the first deer)Saturday) jumped me a little and I hit her high and back, there was literally no blood(on the arrow or at shot site)and she went into the thickest, wettest piece of woods she could get too and we couldn't find squat. The second(Monday) was what looked to be a good hit but the arrow didn't pass through and I'm starting to think I hit bone on the way in and then lodged in the shoulder on the opposite side, again no blood, no sign, never foundarrow, nothing. This is with 3 people looking and then gridding. The coverthey ran to is nearly inaccessible short pines, briars, andwater.In some spots you have to crawl in others you can't even do that(I should of snapped aphoto of it). It can be a tough tracking job even with a good trail in there.

Anyway that is the very condensed version, my confidence just took a nose dive, I'm physically beat up from crawling through briar patches, missing sleep, and chiggers and the mental side isn't much better(hunting related). I've been shooting great and my broadheads are sharp and flying good,ultimately I just feel like I rushed my shots andsettled forless than ideal shot selection. I know better yet hereI am. Lack of patience and discipline all in one weekend, not how I imagined my season starting. I'm off workto hunt next Monday and Tuesday and I'm honestly not feeling it like normal right now. I hate even posting this it's just weighing on my mind a little.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

well guys I didn't see a deer all weekend although I did put some pork in the freezer. If any of you ever want to hunt pigs you are welcome to join me. I can and will have guests on this property.
I'm to the state to the North of you, and I would love to take you up on that offer soon.
I can have guests anytime after November 15th and I've got the camper out there. Get a NR license and and come on! You can shoot deer too this isn't just about pigs. We have a pretty nice camp and I think I can put you on a productive stand. I'll PM my cell #.

John congrats on a great Tx buck! I hope to add on myself soon!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Nice buck John. Hope everyone has been doing good. I have been out on the 4th and the 6th with very little action in the morning and deer all around me in the evening. I am in quite a bit of a slump after a couple of bad events on stand.

In almost 20 years of bowhunting, prior to this weekend I had only wounded and not recovered a deer one time, ever. I have done it twice in two sits, the first deer)Saturday) jumped me a little and I hit her high and back, there was literally no blood(on the arrow or at shot site)and she went into the thickest, wettest piece of woods she could get too and we couldn't find squat. The second(Monday) was what looked to be a good hit but the arrow didn't pass through and I'm starting to think I hit bone on the way in and then lodged in the shoulder on the opposite side, again no blood, no sign, never foundarrow, nothing. This is with 3 people looking and then gridding. The coverthey ran to is nearly inaccessible short pines, briars, andwater.In some spots you have to crawl in others you can't even do that(I should of snapped aphoto of it). It can be a tough tracking job even with a good trail in there.

Anyway that is the very condensed version, my confidence just took a nose dive, I'm physically beat up from crawling through briar patches, missing sleep, and chiggers and the mental side isn't much better(hunting related). I've been shooting great and my broadheads are sharp and flying good,ultimately I just feel like I rushed my shots andsettled forless than ideal shot selection. I know better yet hereI am. Lack of patience and discipline all in one weekend, not how I imagined my season starting. I'm off workto hunt next Monday and Tuesday and I'm honestly not feeling it like normal right now. I hate even posting this it's just weighing on my mind a little.

Hey bud, don't get down on yourself...it happens to all of us. The best thing you can do is keep at it and get back out there and shoot yourself a doe or two and build your confidence back up!

Good luck next week!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the deer harvest. Have not been on in a while. Work has been tearing me up. Looking forward to the second week of Nov. Heading to Illinois and back to enjoy some vacation and hunting. Hopefully will have something to post Good luck guys
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another doe down last night!

Story: http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=3091248

Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man you guys just keep getting it done. I on the other hand won't be getting anything done very soon. I won't be hunting again until next week. My church has its annual Lord's Acre Harvest Festival this weekend. Its a pretty important fundraiser. I explained to my wife I would prefer to do some harvesting of my own....guess how far that got []. I'll be going to the east Texas deer camp again from the 15th to the 19th. Maybe I can do some good then.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

where the heck is everybody? out hunting I hope!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

My pal saw one pushing 20" wide Friday night so we put 2 stands up near that spot so I could video for him. No luck Saturday night but it's nice knowing a good one is around.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I'm still around. Its just busy here at work.

Hunted this weekend but it was slow.

-john
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

where the heck is everybody? out hunting I hope!
I've been slammed at work lately, or Iwould have been on more. I plan on calling you tonight if I get home in time about some hog hunting.

The good news is I will be out in the stand from Saturday to Monday, so we'll see what happens. Also, the following weekend I will be out there for another 4 days. On my trail cameras I saw another really nice 8 pointer probably a middle 130 class.

I'm really excited about this weekend, and eventually one of them will slip up.

Quick Reply: Official Team Death From Above Thread (31)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.