Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37) >

Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

Community

Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 37 Thread

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I thought we were getting a new avatar?

What happened to the one we were supposed to be able to read?
The one we have is kinda dark don't ya think when you shrink it down to size?
You may have wanted to say something before WV paid $20.00 for the avatar

You can't be a pacifist and a Captain at the same time ..[:-]

Seriously, I asked him to put our names in the ribbon and he would charge us ..
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Geez....the thing is beautiful. I just didn't realize it was going to lose so much in the shrink down.
Oh well, it's still nice I guess I was just hoping for "perfect". What we really need is a bigger avatar size allotment on the site.

How did you change yours PT?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know sometimes I just wish I could punch the crap out of this site. [:@]

Everytime I try to download the avatar to my profile it says "Error saving file to disk" in the upload screen.
Its the same stupid message I get whenever I try to use their software to upload a picture to a post.
There is some sort of compatibility problem with my machine and huntingnet's software because I get this ALL THE TIME. Then one day bam it will let one through..........it might be a struggle to get the new avatar up there so be patient.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Geez....the thing is beautiful. I just didn't realize it was going to lose so much in the shrink down.
Oh well, it's still nice I guess I was just hoping for "perfect". What we really need is a bigger avatar size allotment on the site.

How did you change yours PT?
I asked him I tried to get him to increase the size of the words in the original, he said he couldn't [&o] I'm trying something to see if I can get our names in the ribbon
Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Hey WV, I do not have paypal or anything, send a check for some $ to you or what?

Ok, so I'd like to hear more about where and how everyone is hunting? My area is a 50/50 mix of cropland and woods, all private (thankful for that every day). I now live 3 hours from my hunting area, but I have a pretty flexible schedule come fall, so I do my hunting in spurts of 4 or 5 days then nothing for a week or so. Gas prices put a damper on things ,but I decided not to go to CO for elk this year so I could save money for fuel expenses.

Between my dad and myself we have 10 treestands up, but I have really started to adopt a run and gun aproach to bowhunting the last few years, using naturally made ground blinds. I certainly go against the grain when it comes to bowhunting as I firmly believe in actively scouting all season long. I dont buy into the idea of staying out of the area unless hunting it. My two best bucks, both 130s have come from this run and gun approach.

Two years ago I abandoned the treestand one afternoon and scouted the edge of a cornfield thatI had seen does in the evening before. I came across a rub line that hadnt been there just acouple weeks prior. The wind was right so I started cutting sumac limbs and a few leafy oak limbs to build a quick ground blind. Not 45 minutes later a ten pointer came to check the corn field, rubbing trees as he went, and passed by me at 15 yards. Last years buck I got the same way. Scouted an area one afternoon, built a ground blind and came back the next morning to hunt it, and at 7am a nice 9 pointer came through at 27 yards.

Some belive in minimal impact and that does work, but all it takes is one screw up for a buck to know whats up in that stand site. By constantly moving and trying and setting up in new areas, you keep the deer guessing and you never burn out an area. The key to this approach is to huntthe signwhen you find it. Its worked so far and I'm going to stick with it.

How about you guys, treestands, ground blinds, what type of area do you hunt, get much time in the woods, you hunt alone, etc?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Look fellas i would have to totally redo the entire thing to make the ribbon larger in order for it to fit bigger words. The ribbon was just something that i threw in there as a little something extra. I asked Tony what words he would like to put in the ribbon and he said to put Proverbs 3:5,6 so i did and spent almost a half an hour on it and now you guy's want your names on it. It's not that simple for me to do, and i can't keep making these changes for free. I am a graphic artist for a living and usually charge $85/hr., but for my fellow hunters i thought that i would do these for $20. I have done six so far and have another 2 that i am trying to work on now. I spend about an hour or more on each one but on this one i am up to about two hours now. I will gladly refund your money if you decide as a team that you are not happy with the finished product and will no longer use the avatar. Sorry about all of the problems.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

I use both ground blinds and tree stands. I have about 5 ground stand sites and 15 tree stands in. If I hunt half of them that would be pushing it but they are there incase I would need them. My season will be starting on September 13. Still a few weeks to wait.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dstubb

Look fellas i would have to totally redo the entire thing to make the ribbon larger in order for it to fit bigger words. The ribbon was just something that i threw in there as a little something extra. I asked Tony what words he would like to put in the ribbon and he said to put Proverbs 3:5,6 so i did and spent almost a half an hour on it and now you guy's want your names on it. It's not that simple for me to do, and i can't keep making these changes for free. I am a graphic artist for a living and usually charge $85/hr., but for my fellow hunters i thought that i would do these for $20. I have done six so far and have another 2 that i am trying to work on now. I spend about an hour or more on each one but on this one i am up to about two hours now. I will gladly refund your money if you decide as a team that you are not happy with the finished product and will no longer use the avatar. Sorry about all of the problems.
I think it looks great, it's just a shame that such nice artwork is constrained by the limits of the space we get to put it in.
It seemed like a waste to have anything in the ribbon when you saw it shrunk down, I don't think any thing would be visible in there?

"You guys wanted your names in there".........I never wanted or asked for our names to be put in the ribbon?

The only thing I heard was that the person (you) who was making it was trying to make it easier to read. That's all. Don't worry about the names in the ribbon....if we can't read a couple words how are we going to read 10 names?

Just leave it alone and thanks for the effort! It really does look great.
The large version of it blew me away when I saw it.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM

This is a deer hunting contest, not an avatar contest, although I think our isone of the best. I see no need to change it. I look at other teams avatars, but dont study them. I didnt even give the Timber Tunas a second glance, just knew it was gay from the get-go.[:'(]
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah seriously, I don't want to hear anymore about avatars, I appreciate the legwork by PT to get it done, WV who ponied up the money and Dstubbs for his talent. WV we'll get you off some $$ if you PM us your mailing addy.

Time to move on (unless of course I still can't get mine uploaded. )

I'll be hunting 3 maybe 4 states this season. North Carolina next month with Rob/PA and GMMAT at Jeff's place, then PA's season for the first 2 weeks, maybe off to my buddy Russ's farm in NY for the middle of Oct and the NY opener, and then somewhere around Oct 27th or so I'll be packing up ship to Illinois to hunt the pre-rut and rut with my buddy Greg / MO for 3 weeks. This will be our 3rd annual hunt together.

I have stands AND ground blinds here in PA because I hunt with traditional gear here, in NC I'll be using my climber and a compound, in NY back to the traditional bow and a climber, and then a mix of loc-ons and climbing stands and the compound to finish up in Illinois. We should have close to 30 stands hung in IL by the end of October.

Gonna be a whirlwind season for me and I should be able to contribute SOMETHING for the team total!

Quick Reply: Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.