Community

Official Team The Horse Tamers Thread (14)

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 14 Thread

ORIGINAL: PABuckbuster12

Schultzy your teasing me! I quickly ran through, andI thought you were messing with us with heres a pic of the best one this week, and hes dead. I was starting to dance around singing we are the champions haha. [:@]

Shoot em! Old saying says, a buck good enough to shoot on the last day is good enough for the first....

Good luck on the one your after, persistance pays off boy do i know it!
Lol! Sorry!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aaron, I'll calling you, next.

Got it in you?

Quik is calling us out.

Shut him up!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom of the last page[&:]

uh...bump[&:]
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Okay guys, what's everyone doing in the upcoming weeks? I have a feeling we'll be posting some pictures of some bucks in the next couple of weeks. When and where are you guys getting out?

I'll be starting it back up this weekend. Also will take off just about any day next week to hunt if the weather is cooperating. We've had a lot of rain and both of my treestands are pretty much in the middle of lakes right now. I have a few places that I plan to pack in my climber. Just means I'll have to get out a little earlier. Last week I found a decent place thathad some traffic, but not the trophy - yet. Just been practicing letting them walk past me without being noticed. They haven't scented me yet, so that's a plus. Next week should be a lot of fun. Now it just needs to cool off a bit.

Good luck all.
-cp
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Well tonight, I passed up on my second real good buck of the year. When I say real good, I mean at least 120". I grunted him in out of the field. He came into within 20 yds broadside. He looked to be right at 120" but just a 2 and a half year old deer. The first one I "passed" up was I would say in the upper 120's. It would not have been an easy shot if I decided to take it though. It was about 35 yds away so it wasn't necessarily a legit pass up. That was mid-October.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

That sounds pretty encouraging Sport. I hope you get the beast that you are looking for. When will you be out again?
I had a pretty good weekend hunting a new area that I hadn't been to before. I picked it just by studying the aerial photos. It turns out that I found the home of a quality buck - in the very middle of a huge open field that has a strip of dense brush running through it. I spotted him on Saturday and Sunday from the treeline that I was hunting from. Saturday he just followed a few does as they passed through the field, just running up to the edge of the treeline, but not leaving his sanctuary. Sunday morning he took a 15 minute walk out of the field and around the edge of the treeline,onthe northwest corner of the field, then came back in and bedded down. That northwest corner was the same area he chased the does into on Saturday, so I'm guessing he's comfortable venturing into that area. I'm hoping he's a bit more active later this week. I moved my climbing treestand over to the northwest corner after hunting on Sunday and will try to nail him on Thurs or Fri of this week. This guy will score some big points guys!
-cp
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good news sport and KCMO.

Good luck to you both.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yesterday morning after I got back from hunting I took my recurve out of It's case like I always do and hang It up on It's hook In my front porch. Every time before I hang It I always look at the limbs and string to make sure everything looks fine. Guess what, my upper limb Is starting to laminate! Little tiny slivers are slowly peeling away from the outside edge of the top limb. I'm bummed and pissed big time!! I took It outside right away and grabbed some practice arrows and shot about 60 arrows out of It and nothing seemed different. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn being I was nervous as heck pulling It back and waiting for It to blow up. I'm going to keep hunting with It until It either blows up or the cracks get allot worse then they already are. I'm not exactly sure how picky I'm going to be now with shooting a deer. I'll never shoot a buck that won't make books (management thing) but I'm really thinking seriously about taking a doe now being I'm not sure how long my bow will last. I have no back up bow and the money situation Is very tight right now so I won't be out looking for a different recurve until the middle of the winter I'm guessing. I don't want to go without a deer this year being venison Is allot cheaper then beef Is. I'm In a tough spot, not sure what to do. Do I hold off and wait for a buck and take a chance on my bow blowing up and then go without any venison? Or do I shoot the 1st doe that walks In front of me before my blows up so I can get some meat In the freezer and save some cash Instead of buying some beef? The area I hunt In only gives out one tag total.

I've been bow hunting with this same recurve for 14 years this fall. It's been a great recurve and we've done very well as a team. It's shot me many deer and bear, 2 of which were P&Y animals. 140 1/8" Mn Whitetail and 20 5/16 Mn Bear. Next year I'll have a new Recurve In the woods for the 1st time In 14 years. It's kinda sad If you ask me! We got pretty attached to each other.

2009 can't get here quick enough, been a tough year all together!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

It is definately a scarey thing that's for sure. I, like you, would be nervous everytime I pulled it back. If you shot it 60 times though I would hope that it would last you the rest of the season. I think I would hold out for a big buck but do what you think is right. I would still be excited for you if you shot a doe. Any deer shot with a recurve in my opinion is a great trophy. Good luck Steve, and I have confidence that you will makethe right decision.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Well, Monday night I passed on another real good buck. About a 125-130" 10 pointer. He was definately a 2 and a half year old deer. That is the third good buck a passed on this year and I missed at an 8 that I think is 3 and a half and would have been in the 130s.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Horse Tamers Thread (14)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.