Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

good luck pines! keep us updated!!

ole captain is heading out tomorrow...atleast morning sit...if the morning is active, i'll convince myself to stay all day....but if i dont see a deer in the morning, i dont think im gunna sit there in the heat all day...if i leave i'll head to the buddies to shoot some arrows...i wont lie, ive only shot once this season...ive been on the go and really slacked...i know my arrow flew true saturday at the turkey...right where i sent it. but i usually shoot atleast every sunday...just not enough hours in the day...may even goto his spot with him in the afternoon if i were to drive back to campus...

i think 1 day next week im gunna pull an all day sit in the stand i killed last years buck from...at my buddies camp....me and the buddy i was with last year were heading up this weekend till he got a job and is moving...so i'll be flying solo...either drive up mon and hunt tues or drive up wed and hunt thursday....he only sat there twice this season...seen deer both times...we'll see....i would like to go up and hunt atleast 1 day this year from there....

the other buddy is going to Oklahoma bowhunting during Christmas break..kinda bummed we always went up Christmas night and grouse and flintlock hunted for about a week...but he will be gone and the other buddy will be moved across the state(though he still might meet me...or he will be home)

5 days left...im still not worried....my standards have dropped...but im still not worried im always confident...im the guy that has nothing without confidence...ANYTHING can happen...a B&C PIG could be taken by me tomorrow...just never know... i was trying to hold out for a 2.5yo...but a legal 1.5yo will due at this point...i much rather kill a buck with my bow than rifle hunt...exspecially with finals week and a job fair during rifle season...i hunted the season...learned alot...we'll see what happens
Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good Pines! Keep us all updated.

Mauser,

What type of 1.5 are you looking for? Just legal, or a little more antler than legal? Good luck to you these coming days. I wish I had more confidence.

A little update on what's been going on this week. Monday evening found me back in my ladder stand overlooking my foodplot. Dang it if I didn't have that whole flock of turkeys in there again even after I shot one of them on saturday. I had 4 hens come 5 yds from my ladder, right under me. I saw a doe and two yearlings come out, and work their way through the plot. A legal 6 point (I think the one I passed earlier in the season) came across behind me and well out of range.

Tuesday night, I was back in there again, because I KNOW the doe are in here, and the bedding areas are close, so it's a matter of time until at least one buck comes in. Well, I saw 7 last night, and had them all in my plot for a significant time. NO signs of bucks. Not sure what the deal is. They must just not be ready yet.

Tonight, I decided to give the plot a rest, and hit my corn funnel. It's basically a small finger of woods seperating two corn fields (both still standing). I haven't been in the stand for almost two weeks. It was very unproductive during the early season, but tonight was interesting. I had a 6 point working a doe back and forth behind me in the thick stuff. He was grunting all over the place, but he never got in range. I bleated a few times, but that doe had him on a b-line with her every move. Oh well, it's getting closer, and I just need a little more luck to get a shot. Not sure if it will ever happen, but I'm going down swinging either way. Sort of a neat ending to tonights sit...I had two grey foxes come in about 10yds, and start sniffing on my trail that I came in on...they played a little bit, and then ran off as I got down.

Good luck guys.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 6 day straight hunt ended this evening. Fot the most part it was rather uneventful. Rough estimate I saw 2-4 bucks per day, 2 shooters total. MY release broke, then kind of got fixed, I missed a gobbler and spent last night shooting byhouse light to get used to the different feel of the release. Better a turkey than a buck. I'm good to go now.
I've got this weekend, then 4 more days next weekend and after that might as well call it a season for me getting a buck with my bow.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Was out tonight, was a bit warm but sat in my climber. Anyways about 45 minutes till dark i hear some grunts behind me, but never got to see what it was. Another hunter decided to show up way late. Walks in with 45 minutes left!!!! Oh well great night to be out!

So its just about close and the other hunter is headed out, walking in the clover feild, so I lower my bow and start the climb down. Well i am about 12 feet off the ground still when I hear the foot steps. I am totally busted, so i thought. Bring the bow up, nock an arrow, he is still at about 20 yards, a nice 8 point, the one i have been waiting on............Come to full draw....facing directly at me....NO shot oppertunity!!! He walked into some brush and i never got a shot. Luckily he did not know I was there and walk off happy!

The field got plowed and the corn is coming down. That means that the deer are going to be funneling though my strip even more now! Cant wait for the weekend. We have been in the 70's here lately and now we get rain for 2 days coming up and then back to the 40's on saturday!! That should really make things pop with the rut!

Will keep you up to date!! Good luck guys!

Pines
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck guys, I'm leaving in the morning for IL and I don't know if I'll internet service for the next 11 days. I hope when I return all the PA boys will be done, Joey will have his buck scored and the rest of the team will leave us 10 for 10 and have this thing wrapped up. Right now that dreaded team 13 (LOL) is in first....I hope that changes. [8D]
Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rybo, that would be terrible!!!! thats a big fear of mine....and, i never did get around to buying a good release to retire my 3yo release....by next season for sure. cant risk it after this year....

sounds good guys....keep on keepin on...time in the woods is the only way to put one down...

Matt, at this point, with 5 days for me left, a legal buck in my bow range has something to fear....as always, it depends on how im feeling and that sorta thing...but i rather fill my buck tag before the end of bow season than still have it. bowhunting after nov 15th in my neck of the woods is a lost cause. i had atleast 10 trucks by me saturday...let alone rifle season lol. without antler restrictions, i dont know that i would have shot any of the other bucks i seen this season...guess ive seen 4 this season....4 antlered bucks for sure...

wait, guess what that means......next buck i see ends my season...going by years past...year 1 i seen 5 TOTAL...last year i killed the 5th buck i seen....so lets hope this year, i kill the 5th buck i see

im still not worried....weather looks promising starting saturday....if i didnt have the confidence i did, i wouldnt be able to get outta bed. sad thing is, i probably SHOULDNT have confidence...ive seen 4 bucks all season...thats about the extent of my deer sightings...2 antlerless and 1 UFO...by this point, most people in my shoes would lost all hope....not me....i aint done till the fat lady sings her song...and i got alot of time to add some string music to her tune...anything can happen...only takes 1 second to completely rewrite the season. and, no matter what, my season has been a success to ME...frusrations here at school...and not many hunts at home killed my sightings...but ive had more will to get out there and keep on keepin on than ever before...my spot here at school has me down right frustrated...just gotta keep movin and playin the game.....if worse comes to worse tell yourself "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!"
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

well i reached my breaking point....im done going up north to deer hunt for the year. another sit with nothing happening. snuck in and setup nice and quiet..nothin. grunted, rattled, even hit the can a couple times...nothing. sad when im sitting between numerous thickets......

funny thing is 2-3 miles down the road i gotta drive to get to my spot is a nice chunk of heavily posted, private land...i seen atleast 10 deer just in my headlights...i dont usually see deer there..a couple here and there....the times i see deer like that has always meant its gunna be a good day...no dice. im convinced theres just hardly any deer there and they are having trouble finding food so they are moving ALOT, or im having trouble finding their food.....there are zero acorns...im stumped and im waving the white flag..i took an extremely long way out this afternoon and walked old logging roads out...very secluded old logging roads....ALWAYS littered with rubs and scrapes and more deer sign than one could wish for...not anymore. seen a couple OLD(early season) dinky rubs...like 2-3 of them...this was my 3rd bowseason there and honestly ive seen 1 small buck and 2 unidentified deer from stand...hunting many different spots...i really am convinced the deer numbers are somewhere down the drain...shooting all the does sure was fun though when dad and i rifle hunted up there, it was nothing to see 20 deer before 9 or 10am opening morning...we thought nothing of it. but we werent the only ones...the pressure kept the deer moving until they were all mowed over...

still might go out with one of the buddies this afternoon...we'll see...its already HOT.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Ryan - sorry to hear about the release bud!! - like you say glad it was not on a buck. That is why I got a new one this year.

Good luck this weekend!

Mike
Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skunked tonight...hate it when that happens[:@]
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

man that daylight savings garbage whooped me!! i forgot about the whole...wake up an hour earlier deal...till about 1215 last night...so i got about 3-3.5hrs of sleep...i got home and posted here and i passed out till almost 6 lol........so much for an evening hunt! talked to both buddies i might have hunted with...1 seen nothing..the other didnt go...so i didnt miss anything...and boy was it warm...

saturday looks better weather wise..as does next week....hopefully something happens...

good luck guys! keep at it!

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.