Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

i went out last evening as well....made it to the corn field funnel setup to find a gut pile at the top edge of the field from saturday....and buck nuts hanging from a corn stalk....alot of disturbance was done so i slipped outta there...i'll save it for later...

went to another funnel i found on an ariel and turkey hunted last spring i knew as a nice area....found a fresh rubline and scrape right away...climbed a tree where i could see the rubs and scrape 20yds away....nice evening....no deer..till the way out. trying to find an easy trail outta there when im 15yds from the edge of the crops and there goes 4 deer.....no monster bucks(i would noticed huge antler) but i dont know what they were...really nothing i coulda done differently....

went coon hunting and found a trail with 3 or 4 scrapes on it within like 40 or 50 yds...then a little farther down the trail i found 2 BIG rubs...6-8" trees and they were hit HARD...this guy looks like he got some tines....im working on trying to figure out some better options to catch him....noone has seen or heard of a biggun in that hollow...but spotters cant really spot it...not saying i know hes a biggun...but these rubs were impressive....he gotta have something half decint on his head.....

i didnt go out this morning...gotta get ready to head back to college...hoping to make an evening stand in the honey hole...

Rob, thats awesome you seen a piebald!!! good luck with that! buck or doe?

Matt, thats ALOT of turkey!! lol...sounds like a great sit...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

18 hrs and counting of deerless hunting time. [&:]I am headed out after work to a spot I haven't hunted yet this year. Since I don't get much time, I have a little blowdown natural ground blind I sneak into. Last year I got a shot from it, and seen deer better than 50% of the time, so I can't do any worse than I have been.

Matt
I wouldn't worry about jumping back in that stand already. You should be fine since you didn't spook any deer out from it. but then again, I haven't seen a deer yet this season so my advice may be useless. [8D]

Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I REALLY must have angered the hunting gods. WOW I can't buy a break. Went to the farm and there were trucks parked in every pull off I could find. Finally went to a part of the place where I knew no one would hunt and just sat there, had a bad wind and everything, it was one of the most pointless nights I've spent in the woods. I have NEVER seen another guy on this farm before the end of october. Once the rut comes yea guys are all over, but none early on. My guess is they saw a monster and that's what's bringing them out. And the next thing is that this farm ALWAYS has a 140-150 buck on it so, who knows how big a buck has to be to bring people out of the woodwork.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks, Rybo. Things will turn around for you, I'm sure. You're a heck of a hunter, and I remember some of the bucks you've shot in the past. I have confidence in ya

Today was a bit slower sit for me. Had a yearling come in at about 15yds quartering away. Let her pass wishing she was a year or two older. Saw a few on the way out, but that was it. Tomorrow I think I will take the climber to another part of the property I haven't hunted in almost three years.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ben sat with me and filmed in my honey hole this evening.

We saw at least 7 doe/fawns and 12 sightings total. No antlers though, yet to see an antler this year but it's what the 3rd day....LOL No worries.

We took some video and photos if ya'll are interested. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3087842
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

rybo, i feel your pain....hang in there man...

i slept in this morning...since i had mono a couple years ago colds REALLY kill me...i was exhausted and knew i couldnt get up....and i didnt....slept clear till 11..got up and messed around a bit and was curled up in a ball snoring by 12 or 1 lol....got back up, showered and felt great and headed for the woods....opted to hunt over the scrapes and rubs i found last night coon hunting...its right across the road from my honey hole and thats where i was parked...wind was PERFECT for it, and dangerously borderline bad for the honey hole...so i figured id give it a go...settled in about 4...spot looked better and better the more i looked around..found a couple smaller rubs...nice trails with fresh droppings...crabapples scattered about...a bit after 5 here comes another hunter...walked right down the trail with all the rubs and scrapes on them...he was being quiet and passed right by so cant complain...didnt see any deer....talked to him after the hunt...he seen a 3pt mon or sat and his buddy seen the 3pt and a monster mon or sat sparring...he got the monster on camera...had cameras in dang near every woodlot possible from what it sounds like...even my honey hole hill!!! said all he got on film up there was a couple 8s and so other small bucks...he said he wont bother hunting up there coz he got other bigguns on film in other spots...(1 REAL close to the funnel i was in last evening...said its a big 11pt maybe 300yds away...so that funnel could produce big!)

next time i'll be out will be here at school for the first time all year thursday evening....need to find a good tree yet so i cant morning hunt...pumped about that because of the fresh rubline i found when i was in there a while back...

season is young...but i know how fast its gunna go....and im minus 2 weekends so thats gunna sting a little...though that lets my spots chill out a bit and the last 3 weekends aughta be good with the seeking and chasing kicking in right around there.....
Old 10-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im back from Greece and had an unbelievable trip. If anyone has a chance to go there dont pass it up. Unfortunately I got sick on the 11 hour flight home and have been in bed for two days. As long as i beat this cold ill be back in the woods on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Heres a few pics from my trip:

Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome drhntr!! looks like a beautiful place!! get better quick!!! i had a pretty nasty bug last weekend!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What awesome pictures! Doesn't matter that you missed part of the season. Opportunities like that are few and far between, and I would have jumped on the chance anytime of the year. Welcome back!

As for me, I hiked in with the climber this evening for a spot on the property that would be decent with a SSE wind we were having. I haven't hunted this section for three years, but I only saw 4 doe. No shots again. Rained off and on, and then as I was hiking back to the truck, it started to rain pretty good. It was the first time I ever hiked in with a stand, and hiked back out with it the same night.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM

well guys....Its been a while but with school and work have had little time to sit. I went out last week and had a doe and 3 fawn come in....THe fawns were licking the ladder i climb up!!!

Hunted tonight and got my first look at a buck. He stayed out about 60 yards, but i watched as he made a rub line through the woods. Pretty cool as i have never seen that before.

Its been pretty good for the year so far....deer sightings on a bout half of my sits!!!

Keep it up team
Good luck
Pines

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.