Community
2007 HNI 5-Spot League Questions, comments, concerns, and trash-talk about the 2007 5-Spot league go here!

I shot my first Vegas round

Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I shot my first Vegas round

I went out in the yard yesterday and shot my first Vegas round and it went OK. I shot a 270 with only 8 x's but I hope that will come up. I know one thing for sure I've got to drop my bow below the 70 lbs that I shot yesterday. By the 10 end I was shaking pretty bad. Oh and about all of that kicking y'alls butt talk that I was doing ove on the Smack Talk thread, I was only joking.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I shot my first Vegas round

Those baby x's are a pain arent they??
Nice shooting gutshot, keep up the good work
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya on those x's, it ain't as easy as it looks.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 AM

I just shot a 13x 289 last night with my hunting bow. My goal for this competition is going to be breaking the 290 mark, with broadheads!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the past 4 weeks I have been shooting nothing but blank bale and aiming drills and working with a coach to get myself back to the level I was at last year and to possibly take the next step from there. The only shooting I have done during this time at an aimed spot was to finish my 5 spot scores in the old HNI league here. I didn't even finish my local vegas league up because I had some work to do getting back to basics and knew that aiming at stuff and trying to execute shots at the same time wasn't helping my progress.

This last weekend after a session of a solid 100 arrows of blank bale and probably 30 or so aiming drills I did put up a 5 spot target when I was hanging out with APAJaws and managed to run 5 straight ends clean on X's.......a string of 25X's in a row. I quit at that point for the day and decided to leave it at that for the night since I really was still in the re-learning phase of my shot routine and didn't want to compromise the work I had done with all the blank bale and aiming drills.

Well tonight I shot another full game on a vegas face. I didn't go into it thinking about score (till my last 2x ends where I managed to drop a LOT of X's and one 9), I simply shot making sure to set up each shot well and to make sure the tension to hold the shot was in the proper places so that my bow arm and release arm could be completely relaxed at full draw. I haven't felt this good since last summer, and I managed a 298 - 18X tonight.

This is my personal best on a vegas target and that landmark vegas 300 with 20+ X's is just around the corner for me, I know it. I won't be shooting any more targets for score until this next HNI league starts, I want to keep up the aiming and blank bale practice and keep working with the coach so I can reinforce the work I have done over the last few weeks. I still have several hundred quality arrows until this good stuff is burned into my muscle memory and subconsious. This can be tiring work but one game like tonight gives me the motivation to keep up the boring training.........I really want to be at that next level and can now see what it must feel like to be there.

Enough ranting for now, I just had to toot my own horn and let someone know of my personal best. I have done a lot of work in the last month or so and it really feels good to be at full draw and know that I am going to drill that X.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tuesday was league night.. We shoot 600 round. I managed

135 Bad start
140 dropped 4 points on the last 3 [:@]

for a total of 560 (or for comparison divide by 2 for 30 arrows =280) I didn't count X's But I had a pretty decent count.
Not great ..but average for a total bowhunter set-up.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 PM

I just got my targets in today and shot a practice round. 1st real vegas round I shot a 276 5X. Had a couple mental lapses where I shot 2 7's. Can't really see that X with pins, I was just pretty much aiming for yellow on each shot. I figured if I can keep it in the yellow and score all 10's and 9's I'll be just fine. But it didn't happen that way.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Yeah, my .019 pin covers just the 10 ring. It's kind of difficult when I'm used to clearly seeing just the center ring with my scope but I just center it over the 10 and if I do my part, it ends up in the 'x', that's a big if.