HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   14- Official Team Buck Wild Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/201683-14-official-team-buck-wild-thread.html)

NEW61375 08-17-2007 07:02 AM

RE: 14- Official Team 14 Thread

Last years contest buck:

My VA trophy wall (except for the half rack buck, he hailed from NC):

Here is a link to my old Trail Cam Thread (sorry for the picture size)
NEW61375 (trail cam pics)

densfbs 08-17-2007 07:58 AM

Sounds like we have a captain. Now we just need to agree on the name. As it looks team buck wild has the most votes, we just need a couple more guys to agree to it and I think we are set. All that will be left to do is arrow a couple of big monsters early and make a statement!

Thanks mert, I am hoping he walk my way in the early season but a bug like that stays pretty well hidden except for a couple of weeks a year when he is love sick.

densfbs 08-17-2007 08:04 AM

Alittle info about myself. I am 33 father of two boys (4 and 7 months) yes I have my hands full most of the time. My job keeps me very busy but I usually save most of my vacation time for hunting. I love to hunt, golf and be in the outdoors and spend time with my family.

I have about got everything ready to go. I got a new string on my bow a couple of weeks ago so I am fine tuning that. I should be finished with sighting in over the weekend and can then practice different situations I might encounter in the woods. I still have a couple of stands to hang and a camera to place. I am running a little behind but in southern Indiana it has been in the 100's the last two weeks so everything has been pretty slow as far as deer movement goes.

PYbuckhunter 08-17-2007 11:05 AM

Glad to see mert 04 is back. Now if we could get a few of the others to join in, we could get a name. How long do they give someone to sign in on a team? It's looking like we'll need an alternate.
Some info. about myself. My first name is Aaron, I am 35, a father of two (girl-9, boy-7), and the brotherof zs93 (He likes to talk smack, so humor him).I enjoy hunting and ice fishing and spending time with my wife and kids.Bowhunting hasbeen a little slow the last couple of years, 2004 was the last time I filled my buck tag. I pass upquite a few bucks every year, waiting forthe ONE. Not saying Idon't makemistakes, but my goal every year isto shoot a 130+gross. We have some good hunting landon three different private properties here in Wisconsin, so we have the potential to score big!
Check out my 2006 photo gallery:
http://www.huntingnet.com/gallery/photo-detail.aspx?u=79025

NEW61375 08-17-2007 11:27 AM

Great pics PYbuckhunter, some real nice bucks there. Hope you have some good luck with one this season and get Team 14 on top. I don't want to say how big but I have more time to hunt this year so I "plan" on being a little more picky, we'll see. I contacted Rob/Pa about alternates the other day, I think it is just a matter of time. I told him Team Buck Wild,(sorry a little early I guess)but if the otherswant a name changewe can probably change it later.

That's cool your brother and you got the same team. My olderbrother(35) is in Iraq but he is hoping to be homeby Nov or Dec and catch the tail end of the season. I'll be glad when he's back and hopefully we canget after someof those Southeast VA monsters.;)

NEW61375 08-17-2007 11:39 AM

Ruttnutt
I just noticed you hunt in MD. Do you ever hunt on the Eastern Shore or any bases like Pax River? I was born in St. Marys County and spent a lot of years in MD as my dad was stationed at Pax a lot, some real nice land to hunt.

mert_04 08-17-2007 02:32 PM

A little more about myself. I'm 21 and for the next year and a half a college student. School stats in a week and a half and I'm not looking foward to that at all. As already stated this is my first year bowhunting and I'm counting the days till season. I spend most of my time either doing something hunting related, working-out or working.

I'm not going to be around this weekend so if we end out voting on a team name my vote is for Team Buck Wild .

rutt 08-18-2007 12:02 AM

Mert,

Sorry I didn't get back to you until now.I'm from southwestern CT,Fairfield county.That is where I do almost all my killing.Unlimited doe tags and an extra buck tag for every three does you shoot.

zs93 08-18-2007 05:55 AM

I am leaving for the weekend and tomorrow we are going out to check cameras so hopefully I will have some pics for you guys to check out. A little about myself. I am 29 and I have one son (age 5) and I enjoy hunting and golfing in between working.

Enough about me............lets get ready to win this thing. It seems like some of these otherteams on here are a little cocky so lets just lay in the weeds and smoke em when the season opens.

NEW61375 08-18-2007 07:13 AM

Here is an avatar from elkslayer338.

That thing is nice.

PYbuckhunter 08-18-2007 12:52 PM

That is a pretty cool avatar. Team Buck Wild will work for me.

Season opens here in Wisconsin Sept.15 . Can't wait!

NEW61375 08-19-2007 07:53 PM

We almost went to page three, just bumping us up a bit. How do you apply the avatar pic to your avatar. It's been so long I can't remember.

EDIT

I ended upsaving theavatar pic to my documents and opening itwith MS Paint and under image hit Stretch/Skew and then I downsized it to 65% Horizontal and 65% vertical which put the pic size at 143 x 143 and a hair under 10 kb, which is under the 145 x 145 / 10 kb size that the avatar pic is required to be. There has to be an easier way though.

mert_04 08-20-2007 07:11 AM

The avatar looks good. Any sign of the last guy or are we going to get a replacement?

densfbs 08-20-2007 07:16 AM

Hey guys sorry I have been out since Friday. My wife has me doing a bunch of honey do's. I guess she knows I won't be around to do them during hunting season.

I like the avatar pretty cool!!! That would also make a pretty cool shirt but I know that thread was beat to death to other areas. We will let the capatin decide.

densfbs 08-20-2007 07:24 AM

What equipment do you guys hunt with?

I have a Mathews Switchback XT, Winners Choice Strings, Dead Nuts Pro Sight shooting Easton Gold Tips Ultralight 22's with 2" blazers, and Hyper Shock broad heads.

mert_04 08-20-2007 07:41 AM

I've got a Bowtech Tomkat, Tru-Glo sight, MZE rest, and shooting Gold Tips with 2" blazers and Slick Tricks.

NEW61375 08-20-2007 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: densfbs

I like the avatar pretty cool!!! That would also make a pretty cool shirt but I know that thread was beat to death to other areas. We will let the capatin decide.
Here is a link to elkslayer338 's website (he made the avatar).We can order t-shirts, stickers, etc. Just click on our logo and you can see some of the stuff up there.

http://www.cafepress.com/elkslayer/2573961

You can shoot him a pm if you have any specific questions. Last year we all got t shirts and wore them under are camos(or just brought themwith us)so we could take our contest picture representing our team.Iwould order a shirt for thatand just to have because that avatar is pretty sweet.

original: mert04

The avatar looks good. Any sign of the last guy or are we going to get a replacement?
No sign of him yet. Myself and Rob/PA have e-mailed amd pm'd him with no response. He created an account in July then had 4 or 5 posts, one of which was the contest sign-up, and he has not been logged in or posted since then. I think we will get an alternate soon.

I hunt with a Mathews Q2XL (65#), Vital Gear Pro Slide sight,Goldtip 5575's with 4" feathers and Rocket Steelhead 100's.

I also hunt with a Martin Hunter recurve (45# at 28"), Easton 2117's with 5" feathers and 125 gr Rocket Ultimate Steels.

NEW61375 08-20-2007 01:47 PM

Thought I would add Rule #7 to our thread so we know what we need as far as our contest pics and scoring (will post a link for scoring).

Here is scoring link: http://www.pope-young.org/scoresheets.asp

7. You must have a pictured posted on the contest page within the Official Score Card thread to enter a deer. The bow must be in the picture and the entire deer must be in the picture, no skull pictures, no rack pictures...the buck, the bow, and yourself must be in the picture.....call me skeptical. This rule will be enforced this year, no exceptions with no apologies.

Also on the Official Rules thread is the format we will use when entering scores, everyone should check that out.

zs93 08-20-2007 05:05 PM

Nice Avatar. I ordered two shirts while I was at it, one for me and one for PyBuckHunter (got ya covered cheapo). Hopefully I can show it off behind a tall tined buck.

Well we were up north this weekend and got a few photos off the camera's but no shooters....yet. The next time I check them they will have been up there for 4 weeks, so I hope we have some shooters.

PYbuckhunter 08-20-2007 05:55 PM

My bro knows me so well. I shoot a Golden Eagle SplitFire, Carbon Express select 300, four inch feathers tiped with G5 tekans. TM rest, Cobra fiber optic sight. All OLD stuff (to cheap to buy all the new high tech stuff). But I shoot the hell out of the lung area on my McKenzie. If it aint broke I don't fix it.
By the way thanks for the shirt $ bags!

deerslayer223 08-20-2007 07:18 PM

i shoot a crossbow horton legend xt 175lb with spitfire 100gr.

densfbs 08-21-2007 07:51 AM

We are getting rain!!!! first time in about 20 days.

mert_04 08-21-2007 08:05 AM

Yeah, it's been raining here in MI for the last few days.

densfbs 08-21-2007 09:16 AM

Has anyone noticed the mast crop this year?

PYbuckhunter 08-21-2007 11:07 AM

We have gotten over 6 inches of rain here in the last 4 days! The acorn mast is very good this year, quite a few oaks already dropping loads of them.

densfbs 08-21-2007 12:18 PM

I wish I could say the same for us. We have a few nuts falling but nothing like in years past. One good thing about it is that if you have a tree that is producing nuts this year hunt it. It is still a little early yet so we will see what hapens.

densfbs 08-21-2007 12:20 PM

Has anyone gotten any good trail cam pics yet this year?

zs93 08-21-2007 05:29 PM

I don't have much for pics yet but I have half of a deer that may look good once his velvet comes off (attached) but I am not sure he will score much. Like I said, I hope to have some nice pics in about a month. That will be the next time I will be able to check the camera's.

Also, here in Wisconsin we have to shoot a doe before we can even think about any buck. So, the plan is to go whack a doe or two opening weekend.

NEW61375 08-22-2007 06:09 AM

I have been slacking on my trail cam work this year. I got one camera I may put out this weekend and another I need to reprogram and put out (had to re order the owners manual). I may have some newpics in a couple of weeks. Our mast crop is probably gonna suffer because we have had such a dry spring/summer. I'm doing some stand hanging this weekend so I might sneak in and check out the oak bottoms and see what the situation is. On the up side the corn and beans still look pretty good and usually right after the farmer harvests the corn my buddy and I go out and put out winter wheat/alfalfa/snow peamix in two pockets of the field that are hidden from view. Works out well because the soil is already prepared and all we basically have to do is mix the seed with some sand, spread it, and we got a nice late season food plot.

densfbs 08-22-2007 06:58 AM

I am kind of excited about my bottom ground this year as well. We have had very wet falls the last few years and I have been unable to hunt it. The water has been at least knee high the last two years during the rut so it has been impossible to get to a tree unless you take a boat. Seems like it is one extreme or another these days. But, unless something changes drastically things look good.

I have nothing exciting to report on my trail cams yet either. Hopefully after the first cool spell we will get more movement.

mert_04 08-22-2007 03:58 PM

40 more days for me boys!!!

rutt 08-22-2007 06:46 PM

This 8 pt is looking darn good.

rutt 08-22-2007 06:53 PM

How do you get the avatar to show?I saved it to my computer but can't figure it out from there.

NEW61375 08-23-2007 05:35 AM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

We almost went to page three, just bumping us up a bit. How do you apply the avatar pic to your avatar. It's been so long I can't remember.

EDIT

I ended upsaving theavatar pic to my documents and opening itwith MS Paint and under image hit Stretch/Skew and then I downsized it to 65% Horizontal and 65% vertical which put the pic size at 143 x 143 and a hair under 10 kb, which is under the 145 x 145 / 10 kb size that the avatar pic is required to be. There has to be an easier way though.
Hey rutt
If you have MS paint you can do it the way described above. After you resize it and sav it you can see what size it changed to. Keep in mind you need it to be 145 x 145 / 10 kb or under. Someone else may know an easier way. Another thing I hadn't thought about is totry clicking on my avatar and saving it, then when you go to your profile to upload your avatar pic, upload the one you saved from my avatar (it should already be sized to fit).

rutt 08-23-2007 06:55 AM

New,that's what I did.I right clicked and saved it to my computer;then I went to my profile page and went to the avatar section.I clicked on the upload button and it said file uploaded sucessfully,but it doesn't show up when I post.I must be missing a step here.

rutt 08-23-2007 06:58 AM

Got it.I forgot to click the ok button at the bottom of the page.Typical me.

PYbuckhunter 08-23-2007 08:34 AM

Hey, Rutt
What kind of camera is that? At first I thought it was a no flash unit, but I see the picture was taken @ 1500. Nice buck and good luck.

densfbs 08-23-2007 12:00 PM

New, did we get our alternate yet? I thought we were still missing one.

NEW61375 08-23-2007 12:10 PM

Yes, we got him earlier. On page 1 of this thread the name has been added in place of the old 1. Fakejordan.

densfbs 08-23-2007 12:33 PM

Awww, I see now. I went stright to the last page didn't even look there first.

rutt, that is a nice looking deer, also nice to see him on his feet at 3 in the afternoon.