Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 4-  Official  Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread >

4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Default RE: 4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

OB75,
Where is it at in Elk Co.? I'm only 20min. from St.Mary's.
Do you have a doe tag? If so, what WMU?
If you don't have a doe tag we can rifle hunt Clearfield Mountian if I still have a doe tag.
I hope to use my buck tag for an archery buck. For The Team.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'm 10 minutes from Ridgeway,down on bear creek road.It sits surrounded by the national forest.The camp is on 1500 acres.
I pulled another all day hunt.Only saw 1 basket rack 8 pointer.I saw him 4 different times running does.I saw a 160 plus 6x6 on the way home,tied up tight to a doe.The breeding should be starting real soon,if it has not already.Hopefully the chasing will increase by the bigger boys.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you guys are into some good hunting.

archer58- that was a cool thing you did with the PGC... not a lot of people do that. Honesty works well in all cases. even if you score a 3 point for the team buck, that would be fine. Shoot what you are happy with, I got a 134 buck last year and this year I got lucky to get a 84. This buck is good for my area and I am happy with meat in the freezzz.

Good luck guys Keep at it

Where is the rest of the team, Hazcon has not been on in forever!!! and not sure about the others...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Well fellas, I finished out the early season here in PA without flinging an arrow. Saw a ton of deer but nothing bigger than a scrubby seven point and a pile of six points.
I'm going to head back to MD tomorrow and try to get out a little bit next week down there.
I also have the late season here in PA, but that's kind of tough after the slaughter during rifle season.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

The orange army will be here soon also.The youth gun seasonis the 17th and 18th.Then the gun season starts the first Monday after Thanksgiving.Then they get a couple of extra days a couple of weeks later.I normally don't go out after that unless it is muzzle loader.So I'm getting down to the wire.
My team is currently in first place on AT.Something is going on the ground before the adultgun season starts.This is the worst season I ever remember for big buck sightings.I've put hundreds of hours in the woods,rotating stands and farms,Hunting the wind the best that you could,and have not even seen a deer that would gross 125 inches.At the same time,I've seen lots of deer,just not big enough.I'm hunting at home this morning.I don't know how it will work.My neighbor put horses in the property that joins mine.My dogs have been barking most of the night.That normally means the deer have been active around me.I know my food plots are gone.They have ate the heck out of them since the weather turned cold.There are turnips the size of softballs laying in the plot where they have pulled them up.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 AM

Well guys,
The first round is over and round 2 starts in a couple weeks.
I saw a ton of deer the last 2 days but nothing to draw on. As I said before , I can bow hunt here during the firearms season. I'm looking forward to that. One of my stands in the Lake is about 300 yards from the Game Lands bourder. Should be fun when the gun hunters push the deer into Treasure Lake to hide.

AR , I did not get to keep the deer so I won't enter it. Thanks for the encouragement of my descission to call the PGC. It was never a question for me. ALOT of guys I told said they would have not tagged it or knocked a horn off and tagged it as a doe. I was pretty surprised at the response's I got from "sportsmen" ???

I'm back to scouting for funnel area's when the deer start getting pushed by the gun hunters.
The first day I'll be taking my wife to get a deer , but then it's all bow for me.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, I've been keeping an eye on how the teams been doin, but I havnt had much time to post.

First Id like to say congrats on a fine buck Brent, he's a brute!

Second, Id like to say that Geno, I wish there were more bowhunters like you in this state. Most people would have just let that deer lay. To me, that shows that they have absolutly no respect for the animals they hunt.
I also have to add that it is incredably easy to mistake a small buck for a doe. Under PA laws, an antlerless deer is a deer with no antlers or both antlers less than 3 inches in length. Now I dont know about you, but I have never seen a deer with two protruding antlers both of which were 3" in length.

Now for an update on what I've been seeing. Last Saturday I only saw one deer. At 8:25, I turned around to see a deer standing right behind me. I quickly grabbed an arrow and patiently waited for it to get in front of the stand. I was surprised to see the deer come around the back of the tree and pass by directly undernieth. Unfortunatly, it turned out to be a spike, soI didntshoot.
Yesturday morning,the bucks were deffinatly rutting. At 7:45 I heard the snap of a stick off to my left. I glanced over and saw 3 doe hurrying past at 75-80 yards. I immediatly assumed somebody had pushed them out of their beddingarea, but then I saw more movement behind them. Before I could even confirm the movement was a deer, I knew what had pushed the does past me. I could see the buck had a high rack, but couldn't tell if he had 4 point on either side (my binoculars were fogged up). I grunted and bleated to try to get a closer look at him, although I knew he would not be intrested. Sure enough, he continued on his chase. A little over an hour later, I spot a buck in front of me at only 45 yards. I sat as still as possible untill he went behind me into some uderbrush. I then grabbed my call and started grunting. I figured I had a better chance since this deer was alone. Before I knew it, he was coming right at me and circled around. I could get a good look at his rack, but he should be safe this rifle season, because I couldn't put 4 points on either side. He then lost intrest in the calls and went on his way.

I originally though that both my buck sighting were the same deer becuase both the bucks had the same rack size from what I could tell, but now I am fairly certain that they were different. Do you think its possible that a buck would give up the chase on does and circle back around in search of more doe?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

Do you think its possible that a buck would give up the chase on does and circle back around in search of more doe?
I've had it happen a couple times. If the does are not standing for them another doe will draw their attention, or the sound of one.
Always bleat or grunt at a chasing buck. More times than not , they'll circle around to find the new doe.

BTW, Thanks for the support.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Just because the does are being chased does not mean they were in heat.I had 1 buck a couple of days ago come in 4 different times running does.They were not the same does or even the same area.The bucks are always ready long before a doe comes into heat.Youger does normally will not cycle untill the secoundary rut.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll post more about this later, when I'm not scarfing down pizza in my truck while connecting to the wifi of a laundrymat - but we have another good buck down. I won't get the cape back until Thursday to score but it was rough scored at the processors at 127". WORD

Quick Reply: 4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.