Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 18 -Official Team Rack-a-Maniacs Thread >

18 -Official Team Rack-a-Maniacs Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

18 -Official Team Rack-a-Maniacs Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 18 -Official Team Rack-a-Maniacs Thread

Hey guys, just wanted to check in as well with a quick update. I hunt 2x spots primarily, my best buddy's place near Oneonta NY, and my own place in Bradford County, PA. We both have great spots with some quality mature bucks. Both of us have multiple 3.5 year old or better bucks on our properties, and have had encounters with them every year for the last several years so it's only a matter of time before it all comes together and one of us puts one down.

I spent quite a bit of time weekend before last at my camp in PA finishing up the foodplots. We are awfully proud of this place,we have worked our tails off trying to makethis place a better core area for deer and it is working.The property is 130 acres in total, and I have almost 3 acres of seperate foodplots.For the last two years we have put in a LOT ofwork mowing, spraying with glyphosate, discing, spreading lime, spreading fertilizer, raking, seeding, and praying for rain.As of now seed was spread on 8/11 for a fall planting on all 3 plots, and we have Biologic Full Draw (mostly turnips), Biologic Maximum (mostly rape/brassica mix), and Tecomate Monster Mix (chicory/clover blend) in different strips in each plot.

Below are a fewpics and video clipsof the plots as they sit now just after seeding, as well as a few pics of plot #1 last year in it's prime. Plots 2 and 3 are new this year, so we are excited to see how they produce. I expect this stuff to start getting hammered about 2nd week of October like last year and produce forage until middle of March.

This year - Plot #1 - Just after seeding on 8/11

Last year - Plot #1 - Weekend of 10/7

Last year - Plot #1 - taken on 12/10

This year - Plot #2 - Just after seeding on 8/11

Video of Plot #2 from this year just after seeding:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ringostar40/Cabin%20and%20Property%20Pics/?action=view&current=MOV03349.flv

Plot #3 - Pic taken from a distance after mowing and spraying and before discing

Plot #3 just after seeding on 8/11 taken from where my ground blind sits on this plot

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ringostar40/Cabin%20and%20Property%20Pics/?action=view&current=MOV03338.flv

Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Well with all the flooding and what not in the river we got a pic of a nice buck on the cam in our local spot.

He should be a good one!

Pines

Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM

How do you think the deer liked the turnips? I have been hearing alot about them lately and was just curious if you had good results with them.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 AM

I didn't have very good results from turnips as I would've liked last year. I guess it depends on the deer and what they're used to or what momma taught the youngin's to look for. I did however have alot of success with our clover, oats/wheat, chickory and brassicas.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking work Matt. I wish I could plant some plots, but too many cattles on the open areas.

Well this time next saturday, I'll be on my way out for my first afternoon hunt, unless I tag a buck on the morning hunt. Everythings ready, finished up washing the hunting duds today and there are out drying. I'm going to check my cams one more time before the opener and with luck, we'll have "the one" on cam. Later all.

kelly
Old 08-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Happy Birthday Mike (Spine). Hope it is a very nice day for you and you do as you want today.
Ok team, let's all sing Happy Birthday now!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks ladybowhtr! I had a great day....went to the brad paisly concert last night and then today went shopping at all the sporting good stores and got some goodies. Then we headed to the woods and my girl friend helped me trim some shooting lanes and put in some tree screws. She even went as far as to try and pick out some possible stand locations in trees. Which is so cute cause she has no idea about what would be a good spot or not. She does not hunt but she likes to hike and camp and fish so all the better.

Over all a great day. pulled the camera as well, needs new batteries so we will see.

Other news is that my little food plot that i tried to plant and was growing well was flooded out and is completely gone. It took my bro and i 5 hours to turn the soil by hand and its all washed out.
Oh well thats the chance you take near a river.
Pines
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 AM

Bummer about the plot. Which river? Fox or Root? However, there is still time if you want to try again after this round gets thru.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, filled the feeder up for the last time before Saturday's opener. I've got this guy down and got a pic of him shedding already. I'm not sure I can pull th trigger, while he's big, I know there are bigger deer in the area, but I've sat on my Ky tag for four years waiting for a true giant and my patience are a little thin at home. Anyhow, thought you all might enjoy and I didn't want to see our team thread at the bottom of the list...lol.

I guess we will know after I see him out of velvet and under the stand. Take care and I'll post on Saturday to let you all know how it feels to be back in the stand.

Kelly
Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Nice!! I say take em, we need the inches!!

Quick Reply: 18 -Official Team Rack-a-Maniacs Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.