HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   17 Official Team Autumn Assassins Thread. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/194734-17-official-team-autumn-assassins-thread.html)

drhntr178 06-17-2007 11:55 PM

17 Official Team Autumn Assassins Thread.

Team 17 where you at??? Bow season is right around the corner so I thought we could get in touch and see how everyones doing.

Hopefully weve all got some big ones scouted out for this seasons contest.I still remember Justins promise if we pull of a repeat ;)

My bow had some warranty work and is now at the shop getting a new set of strings so my shooting has been on hold for a while. Cant wait to get back out there. Hope to hear from everyone soon.

LouisianaTomkat 06-18-2007 06:17 AM

RE: Autumn Assassins

dr, I am still here. Just hotter than hades down here right now. I know I have got some deer located for fall. Just dreading the July/August heat to hang stands. I will be putting out my trail cam soon to try and get some pics. Still kinda depressed about not scoring one for the team last season, but I am gaining confidence as the season gets near. Shooting every day or every other day is helping a lot.

Just checkin' in. Where is everyone else?

LT

huntingson 06-18-2007 08:17 AM

I have been shooting fairly regularly and am currently trying to get everythign ready for my caribou hunt in 2 months. I bought a new farm since last season so that is giving me a few new spots that will hopefully increase my odds. I also scouted some new public land towards the end of the season last year that looks like it has some serious potential. All in all, this year is looking pretty good. Although, after last year's bad luck, my money is on LTK to get the "comeback player of the year". :)

GMMAT 06-18-2007 08:24 AM

I know I wouldn't bet against you guys to repeat.

You all had an outstanding season in '06. Congrats, again....;)

Wheatley 06-18-2007 09:53 AM

I shot 4 week of 5 spot with some guys on the Nebraska forum and I think it helped me out a bit. I improved each week anyway. I have a great spot for some very good size bucks that I am not quote sure how to hunt yet. They are in a dense thicket that is very hard to hunt. Last year I just hunted on the edge and had some close encounters but it just didn't work out. I have to find a way to get in a little deeper without spooking them or find a better spot to set up at.

Other than that I have been busy trying to make my own bow. It is very addictive and alot of fun.

huntingson 06-18-2007 12:03 PM

As I recall Wheatley, you saw a bunch of nice bucks last year. We will not accept anything less than a 150" from you this year:D

If you ever need a hunting partner out there just let me know;)

drhntr178 06-18-2007 01:17 PM

Glad to see a few of us are still around. Huntingson, you'll have to keep us posted on your caribou hunt. From the looks of your avatar you're no rookie.

I just scheduled my vacation for deer season and its looking good. I will be off of work from October 26-November 28. I think that should be just enough time to fill my tag;).

huntingson 06-18-2007 01:31 PM

Holy cow! A month of vacation... that would be awesome. You're taking this serious this year:)I can't wait to see the picture of you kneeling next to the results, adding some serious inches to our total!

I would highly recommend a caribou hunt to anyone who has never been. Honestly, it is just about as good as bowhunting gets.

Wheatley 06-18-2007 01:42 PM

I wish I could take a month off as well. Man I think I have the wrong job[:@] I am shooting for that 150" deer from last year except he should be about 160" this year:D I can only dream of seeing him again probably. I just have to wait and not get to antsy like I did last year. I plan on taking that out on as many does as I need to this year. Good luck on your caribou hunt.

You all can come down here and hunt anytime you would like. Nebraska is actually pretty cheap for out of staters and you can buy archery permints online or OTC.

TX_Hoghunter 06-18-2007 01:56 PM

I am still around. I traded my old Mathews LX in and got a new Mathews Drenlin this year. It shoots sweeeeeet. My speed has gone up from 256 fps to 291 fps. Not to bad for a 27 inch draw. The area that I am hunting had been in a drought for a few years but this year it has rain all year. The deer are all fat and sassy. This is the best buck that we have on flim this year. Last year none of the deer had this much growth until the second week in July. It is still early but I hope he keeps coming on.

-john

Wheatley 06-18-2007 02:06 PM

We have had an excellent year as far as moisture goes. We had a great winter and now a great spring and a good start to summer. We have received 7" of rain the last week.

drhntr178 06-18-2007 02:47 PM

John, congrats on the new bow. That buck looks like hes gonna be a good one!!

Yes, i am fortunate to have a flexible job and a lot of vacation and comp time. I usually take april and november off each year for hunting. Last year i got a little antsy and killed my buck before the vacation started. My minimum standards have gone upsince last yearthough. This year its >125 or nothing.

huntingson 06-18-2007 02:56 PM

Well, maybe come the late season you can reduce your minimums a little to put some digits on the scoreboard;)

We have had a crappy spring. It hasn't rained here in over 2 weeks and the crops are looking pretty bad. If it doesn't rain in the next week I think the farmerswill betotally hosed.

ron3775 06-22-2007 04:56 AM

Hey all, checking in. Well to say the least, I have been very busy. Between one son playing soccer and another son playing baseball in which I was coaching I haven't been able to do much shooting. Since soccer is over and baseball is near the end, I should be able to get more time to get my confidence built up to take longer shots this year. Last year I had to let two good bucks go due to them being over what I was comfortable with. I just started a new job so my time off isn't what it used to be. I will still be hunting on the Army Depot that I was on last year, so I can't do any scouting anyway. A good thing is that the area that I hunt hardly sees any pressure at all.

GMMAT 06-22-2007 05:04 AM

The more I think about it.......

You assemble 10 guys at random......and they put (on average) 80" of bone, per man, on the ground. I'm still amazed at what you guys did.

ron3775 06-22-2007 05:08 AM

This year we're aiming to put at least 90" average on the ground! ha wouldn't that be nice.

Germ 06-22-2007 05:17 AM

I just wanted to say

You guys are going down faster than Paris Hilton;)

ron3775 06-22-2007 05:27 AM

lmao that was good

buckeye 06-22-2007 06:00 AM

Hey, I wanted to drop you guys a big congrats for laying it down like that in the contest last year! Great season guys and I am looking forward to meeting my new team and competing with you guys again this fall.

Good luck in 07!
[/align]

Wheatley 06-22-2007 07:50 AM

I promise I will bring my score up this year. We will be at least 90" average but I was thinking more along the lines of 110". :D

ron3775 06-23-2007 12:06 AM

Nobody is on a team yet and they are already talking smack. Isn't that priceless. With the amount of people that are signing up for this thing, we may just have a great chance to repeat. ( If it just so happens that some of the guys with the best odds of getting good deer would end up on the same team then we'll know something was up). Plus I needed to bump us to the front again.

ron3775 06-25-2007 06:03 AM

We almost dropped off to the third page. Bump to the front.

Wheatley 06-25-2007 11:15 AM

I can not wait to try out my new wacem heads to see what they do. This is probably the most excitement I have ever had to try out a new head. Other than Huntingson (new farm) is everyone hunting the same ground this year as they did last? I will be on the same ground but concentrating my efforts on a couple different spots that I hunted last year during the (scouting hunts).

ron3775 06-25-2007 12:02 PM

Yeah I will be in the same boat, although I am on the fence of trying a new spot or not. I may leave my son there and move into the thicket alittle more.

huntingson 06-25-2007 12:18 PM

Oh, I am still hunting the same spots, I just added a new farm the hard way:D I am going to have to PM you guys some pics because I havepics of4 deer from last year, after the season was over that will knock your socks off. With luck, they will still be around this fall... under my tree... in the open... broadside. I'm not asking for too much;). The problem is they were so big it will be hard to shoot a buck even as big as the one I shot last year knowing they are out there somewhere. Who knows, I could go the whole year without even seeing a good buck. Only time will tell. Of course I am still trying to convince Rob to let me enter my caribou;)

Beagle001 06-26-2007 09:21 AM

sorry guys for taking so long. Life is nuts right now. After graduating in may, our FFA went to Canada for a fishing trip, then ive been working like a dog. Ive been hanging out with my buddies as well so its pretty hard to get on all the time.
anyways down to business... I went to my first bow shoot of the year and shot my career best 276.
I am a bit worried about this upcoming season though. last year 12 125" or better bucks were shot within a 1/2 mile radius. that worries me a bit. second, there is a new powerline that will be goiung thru the very center of our property and with all the activity I hope it doesnt surpress the deer too much. We will see how it turns out.

? for everyone... have any of your standards changed to size of bucks you will shoot? mine is still about the same... 125 or better, i gotta watch it tho i came up 6/8 short on last years buck[:-]

ron3775 06-26-2007 09:32 AM

125 or better, i gotta watch it tho i came up 6/8 short on last years buck[:-]
If I could only be that unforunate lol

huntingson 06-26-2007 09:59 AM

No my standards haven't really changed I guess. My standards are if I look at a deer and think "BIG BUCK. BIG BUCK." Then I will shoot it. If it doesn't get my heart racing, it walks on by. That basically equates to 3.5 year olds and older.

Checked my camera yesterday and I got a pic of a buck that I would guess has a spread of 18" or slightly moreand already is sporting about 5" brow tines. Let's hope he sticks around and stays safe.

Wheatley 06-26-2007 10:27 AM

I have changed mine after last year. I just got to impatient and let one fly. Then went after the bigger boys which I had a couple good encounters with but never got the chance. I will probably not shoot at anything I guess to be under 100". I still get excited when does or small bucks are coming my way. I plan on shooting more does this year to help me wait longer for one of those monsters.

drhntr178 06-26-2007 02:48 PM

My standards have upped to 125 or better. Im hunting the same farms this year. I dont know if I could handle anymmore. Between scouting and actual hunting time I have a tough time hitting them all at the peak time. I just got my bow back from the shop and trying to work out all the bugs of new limbs, cams, and string. i should have her dialed in and comfortable by the end of the week.

TX_Hoghunter 06-28-2007 11:58 AM

For my blood brother teammates I was wondering what kind of bow ya'll shot last year for the contest. I shot a Mathews LX last year.

-john

huntingson 06-28-2007 12:03 PM

I have had a Mathews Ultra II for what I think is 7 years now.

ron3775 06-28-2007 12:27 PM

I have an older Bear. I have been thinking of getting something new, but I haven't had any problems with this one.

Wheatley 06-28-2007 01:06 PM

I bought a Hoyt Vipertec last year from someone on this forum. I believe it is a 2004 but I can not remember. It was upgrading an old bear mountain hunter II. It was def. worth the upgrade but the old bear still worked perfectly. It was heavier than $^&R though.

drhntr178 06-28-2007 02:30 PM

Shooting an 06 bowtech tribute, same as last year.

Does anyone have the complete list of our team? I believe so far we've heard from the following:

Wheatley
Huntingson
TX Hoghunter
Ron3775
Beagle001
Louisian Tomkat
drhntr178

Who are we missing??

Wheatley 06-28-2007 02:53 PM

From Montana with the beer Avatar. I forget his screen name though. Seems like it started with a B.

Wheatley 06-28-2007 02:56 PM

Just remembered. Berwindale boy. JesterUSG and one more!!!

drhntr178 06-28-2007 03:32 PM

Does anyone have the complete list of our team? I believe so far we've heard from the following:

Wheatley
Huntingson
TX Hoghunter
Ron3775
Beagle001
Louisian Tomkat
drhntr178

Havent replied yet:

Berwindale Boy
JesterUSG

One more, who is it team?

Wheatley 06-28-2007 03:56 PM

MnPurple

drhntr178 06-28-2007 07:00 PM

Team 17 "autumn assassins"

Wheatley
Huntingson
TX Hoghunter
Ron3775
Beagle001
Louisian Tomkat
drhntr178
Berwindale Boy
JesterUSG
MnPurple

Let make it a repeat team!!! Our score last year was 794 7/8. We're gonna have to up it this year to compete i think.