Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread. >

38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread.

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 38 Team Offical Thread.

Hey captin any sign of Gamehunter1269 ?

Hey guys when do ya'll start your seasons?
Mine starts in 25 days. I'll be starting the season offin Bradford County PA on the 30th.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't heard from Gamehunter1269 yet. I think Rob will be placing alternates in the missing spots on existing teams soon.

October 1st is the start of my season. I will be out there, but I have to tell you guys - I don't seriously horn hunt until my favorite part of the season which is the last week of October through the start of our firearm season, November 15th. During those three weeks the rut action is darn near funny. I hunt the hardest during those three weeks. Can't wait.

Also, my son will be joining me this year for his first season. Although I'll have plenty of time in the woods when he's not able to make it with me, this year is really about him and getting him over deer. He's excited out of his mind to be finally joining Dad in the woods. What a cool thing that is.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thats awsome bob! I can still remember going out with my dad when I real young, I have a lot of great memories and storys from thoses times. Let me just tell ya that if you decide to stop and take a pee break with him in tow make sure that you have your gun/bow ready...just in case!!! I dont think my dad will ever live that one down
Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

hey guys, sorry i havent posted much yet. just to dang busy. just got back from a ND speed goat hunt. good time but i didn't take one.

i am mainly a MN hunter, central, southeast and north central, and i will also be in NW SD for a week in the end of Oct.

the season starts here on the 16th of sept and i am ready
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: badshotbob
Also, my son will be joining me this year for his first season. Although I'll have plenty of time in the woods when he's not able to make it with me, this year is really about him and getting him over deer. He's excited out of his mind to be finally joining Dad in the woods. What a cool thing that is.
That's cool about your son BSB. Mine is planning to hunt next year. I'll usually take them (I've got two) out at least for one hunt to hang out with me on the stand. They love to take photo's and eat candy bars. Good luck seeing some deer with him!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Brothers,
My weekend has been a good one (despite my Longhorns and Chiefs loosing). On Saturday I went with my 11 year old son for Hunter Education class. It was a long day, like 10 hours, but he did fine. I just told him it was good practice for sitting in a tree all day. His shooting is getting better but I will have to get his draw weight up about 5 more pounds and see how well he shoots targets before he can attempt his first deer. Not sure if it will be this year or not.
Today I hung one of my treestands and despite the rain I still had a great time getting it set up. This placeis about 45 minutes fromhome and is about a 45 minute foot hike to "the tree".After that was done I spentsome goodtime practicing shots at 40 yds. I'm averaging about 70% in a 4" circle, so I think I'll limit my shots to 35 yds max this year(weather permitting), unless I can find time to get in a good bit of practice. Even though our season starts this Friday, I hope to do some scouting on some property in NE Missouri this comming weekend. I plan to hit that area hard come rut time. They say the monsters roam that area!!
Have a good week guys.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

KC, reading your post struck home with me. My son is taking the hunter's safety course this weekend - eight hours Sat and Sun. He is 13 this year and I've held him off for a year due to my gut telling me he wasn't ready, particularly with draw weight. Now, he's grouping rather good (withing 3") at 20 yards drawing 45#, about 70 - 80% rate. He hasa way to go, but I'm pleased so far.

I love setting up a new stand. That seems to start the season for me. Yesterday my dad and I went up the hunting property for a work day. We cleared overgrown brush that got out of hand over the years and re-claimed the trail leading back into our 40 acre swamp (it's unreal what 10 years of growth does to a place). The deer sign was great -the rub lines have started as well. We found several fresh rubs all over the place. Looking to be a good year here in MI.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

I shot at our local video range with a friend last night, then scouted a set up on a ridgeline, next too three trails & intersection at an apple tree. That spot turned my motor up. If the winds right I'll be there on Sat morning. Lots of deer in the fields in the evening. No big bucks but three nice forks. Later my friend called and said he had a 10pt. in his yard. So the pieces fall in place. My shootings OK, I injured some ligiments in my arm last spring, so my 70lb Mathews is sitting this one out. My back up Reflex is set to 45lbs (might turn it up a bit) and ready to go. I just started shooting with a release this summer. That release is working well...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

My scouting is all done, and all my stands are ready. I'm getting the last of my food plots in this weekend, which I know is a little late but I had no choice as my roller broke[:@]
This past weekend, rick james and I were up at the archery barn getting our hunting rigs all set up. We shot for almost 7 hours and did tons of tree stand shots. I think I'm all set, my yardage est is right on and my broadheads are flying true....so all I need now is for a good buck to step into range
Old 09-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My shootings OK, I injured some ligiments in my arm last spring, so my 70lb Mathews is sitting this one out. My back up Reflex is set to 45lbs (might turn it up a bit) and ready to go. I just started shooting with a release this summer. That release is working well...
I know what that is like. Two seasons ago I was hunting late season in 20 degree weather. After two hours of not moving much a nice doe came out and walked within range. When I pulled back for the shot I couldn't get my bow back - my body gave out due to sitting motionless in the cold for so long. Feeling the pressure to not blow the shot and given the adrenaline rush of the moment I forced my muscles to pull harder. That was a stupid move as I felt my shoulder tear and severe pain. I did the ol' overhead draw and somehow managed to get the bow back and got the deer, but nearly two years later I'm left with a torn cartilage in my socket and over time a cist has developed on the damaged area. Most often it hurts, to varying degrees so this year I thought I better have it checked out. An MRI told the tale of the damage and surgery is in my near future. Doc said as long as I could pull my bow back that we could delay the surgery until after season, otherwise I wouldn't have a season.

So, the long of the story is I have turned down my bow this year (65# rather than 70#[8D]). The important thing though is that the doc said to stay limber and stretched out during a cold wait in the tree. I'll have to figure out a way to do this without moving too much. I'm thinking about sewing a pocket into my coat sleeve to put a warming pack. Deertale, be careful with that shoulder.

Quick Reply: 38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.