Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread >

27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM

Default RE: 27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Well congrats to your son WVhunter, great story! Well this year has been one with mixed feelings. This is only the second year ever I passed on bucks because I had bigger dreams in my head and the first year I did it I was eating tag soup. Two things worked to my disadvantage this year. One was my cuddeback camera. If I never had pics of the nice nine pointer I would have never passed on the nice eight that I had under my stand several times. I also wanted to get some good points for us here on hunting net and so far I have added nothing. I only seen the nice nine once, and that was when I was with my nephew during the youth gun season. I was only able to go out for Ohios gun season the first couple of days and was once again let down by Ohios pumpkin tresspassing parade! The one new swamp spot I hunted I seen nothing, walk out and a guy hunting the property across the street comes up and tells me I missed all the action. He tells me that right before I was there, seven guys came and pushed and ran all the deer out and may have shot some. Then on my other spot where I thought I was the only one the land owner let hunt, he gave permission to some guys that showed up and asked, (cant knock them for that) and he said they shot two eight points and a doe! So much for letting him pass and get bigger for next year! So ever since the beginning of december I have not even went out and have been pretty bummed about the whole thing.

On a brighter note, I found out on the new swamp spot, I will have the only perrmission and no others will be there. All the spots I have hunted have only been good early season and rut spots. Once the rut is over and the deer heard up my areas all have never been good. On the new swamp spot the land owner told me that he sees more deer out there in january then in the fall. So hopefully I may have a good winter hunting spot. Will have to wait for the first snow to find out. Ohio has another gun hunt this weekend so I am going to take dad out and maybe we can have some luck. If not its looks like I will be going out in january and maybe will have some late luck then! Good luck to all!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default 27 Minutes on a cold day.

Well all, glad I was able to enter that monster earlier.I got the ML out last Friday, it was 10 degrees, I was ready for my 1st gun hunt in 12 years. (PA scared me outta gun hunting) I was on the ground over looking a dry swamp surrounded by willow thicket. Of course I hear one in the thick stuff, and "she" offers me a 50 yard shot. BOOM (giant smoke cloud) see the deer flop once. DOWN, nice doe... I walk up and scored this lunker,

I don't use a scope, and honestly thought it was a nice doe. But he had 3 1/4 in spikes, and I'm the ethical type. Burned my 2nd buck tag on him. Sort of sucks out the motivation, as I still had visions, and time, to get a nice one. Freezer is full, and I'm happy. I think this one wouldgross out at about 12 4/8

Sorry for the truck photo, I had the camera for field pics, but forgot to put the card in it. So shameless self-promotion is what you get...[&:]

Old 12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn, thanks...it was alot of fun! Something he'll never forget, I'm sure.I haven't been back out since my last report. I'll be going this Sat, so we'll see how that shakes out. I'm also gonna try and get out some over the holidays--both my kids want me to take them, so I'll definitely be doing that.

DB, that's a whopper my friend...been there done that. [8D]
Hard to see 'em sometimes, even when you are looking for them. Thats ok though...at least you got some meat. I'm hoping someone gets some more points for us. I've still got several weeks left, but it gets to be slim pickings where I hunt in Dec. You never know though...

Good luck guys!
-Mike

Old 12-14-2006, 06:03 PM

Looks like you all are putting them down. Congrats to all. Got one more chance the 8th=10th of Jan. hope to get a buck. Congrats to all that have scored and good luck to the rest.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys....anyone having any luck? Or even seeing much?
I still have not connected. I'll get out hopefully a few times over the next week between Christmas and New Years. I'm determined to add some points...if there is any possibleway

We've had some really warm weather here the last couple weeks, but now it's starting to get cold again. Hopefully that will help...who knows. I did see 4 does the other day, but no bucks. Maybe next time. Still got a couple weeks left.

Well good luck guys and I hope everyone has a Wonderful and Blessed Christmas...and remember...
JESUS is the reason for the season! God Bless

-Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Well good luck guys and I hope everyone has a Wonderful and Blessed Christmas...and remember...
JESUS is the reason for the season! God Bless

-Mike
AMEN! Merry CHRISTmas, yada,, yada, now go make up for my little one.

Seriously, I know we are far from the most verbose bunch on here, but good luck to everyone on the rest of their season. I know some of you have some time off over the next couple weeks.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Just checking in guys......Still have not scored yet. This has been a very dissapointing first season for me. I have only seen 1 doe all year. No bucks. I have about 5 days left on my license and tags. After the 31st it's does only until the 15th of January. Later!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hope everyone had a Happy New Year!
I still haven't connected...I have one last try this coming Saturday. Last Friday I had high hopes...was in a good stand bright and early, and it was a beautiful morning. I brought a buddy of mine along, and he whacked a doe15 minutes into the hunt. I couldn't believe it when he called me on the radio. LOL, so I had to help him track, drag, etc. So I got to hunt a whopping 15 minutes that day. I was planning on going out that evening, and got tied up with some business stuff most of the afternoon...so at about 4:15 I grabbed my daughter (she's 6 and has been bugging me to go) and we went out for the last hour. 10 minutes into the hunt, she says "Daddy..I'm bored. When are the deer gonna come?" LOL
This has been the story of my season...absolute chaos. She did make it until dark, but we had to tell knock knock jokes and stories most of the time. It was fun though.

Maybe this weekend will be my time....I pray. Good luck guys...if anyone is still hunting.

Mike
Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Well I have until the first week of February and its back to archery so I am getting back out some now. The other day I had my first somewhat successful stalk hunt. Was able to get within 25 yards of a doe. But with all the walking on my ankles and staying hunched up, my feet must have went to sleep cause while i was waiting on her to turn and give me a shot I lost my balance and fell! She was gone before I even knew what happened! I did not get her, but that was a real great hunt! Will be going back out Monday. Still seeing visions of that nice little eight I passed on twice!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Hotburn Hey at least you got close... [8D]

Well Igave a last ditch effort yesterday...didn't even see a deer
Man this year was really rough for me for sure. I didn't even see a shooter all season anywhere, much less have a crack at one. In fact this is the first year in 20 yrs that I haven't taken at least onedeer. I normally shoot 3-4 every season betwee bow and gun, but since my freezer went out a few months ago, my space was limited to my refrigerator freezer....and my son's doe took that up. I did pass quite a few, and with my son getting his first deer this year, that made my season really. All I got this year was a coyote...good thing I got him or I'd be officially skunked! LOL

It's funny, as you grow older, it doesn't seem to matter much anymore what you get...at least it doesn't to me. As long as I enjoy the hunt...that does it for me. I enjoyed it.

Good luck Hotburn, maybe you'll connect. And good luck to anyone else that might still be getting out.

Mike

Quick Reply: 27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.