Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread >

27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Good luck to you and your boy. Sounds like a fun time.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Good job on putting some points on the board! I am still seeing the six pointer that hangs out often, but have yet to see the nice nine pointer. I am going to take my nephew out tomorrow for the opening youth hunt here in Ohio, he may show up then![&:]
Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 AM

Wow, it's been 10 days since someone posted on our Team Board. This is sad. Okay I'll start it back up with my sad sad hunting story.

I went to deer camp on the 22nd of November. I came back on the 26th of November. I saw not one single deer the entire trip. I found a nice 8 point rack laying on the ground though. And I saw tons of signs. It's still too hot here in Ooklahoma, we had 70's every day last week but one.. Then, last night I was driving down one of the main streets here in Midwest City, OK. And lo and behold, three fat does standing in the front lawn of a local auto repair shop....I'm going to smoke one this week. I've sworn it on my mothers grave.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

You find that 8 pointer while you were bowhunting? Take a pic with you and your bow, maybe we'll get some bonus points????
Old 11-30-2006, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well we finally got a change in the weather. deer should be moving pretty good the next few days. BTW, I think I still have the smallest deer in the contest!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys...back in town from my annual WV Thanksgiving week hunt. We had a good time as usual. One of the guys got a nice 6pt (no brows) should have been an 8 and would have scored probably around 110" which is a good one where I hunt. Can't really expect much better than that in reality for there.

My son who just turned 9 this month, shot at and got his first deer ever, a nice big doe! He was soooo excited, it was great. I loved it. I think I was more excited for him than he was. It was so funny....that is the first time in his life that adrenaline ever really got ahold of him. He looked at me and said...dad---what's going on---my heart is pounding so hard--I thought she was gonna hear it! LOL, gotta love it. The funny thing is, she and 3 others came running right at us and passed us by. He stayed calm, raised his gun (youth .243) and turned around and shot her offhand at about 30yds. I had no idea if he hit her or not at that time....he was 100% sure. He said "dad, I was right on her, right behind the shoulder". I said well you should have her then. When he shot, she just took off with the others down over the hill, she didn't really react to the shot... 2 bounds and she was gone. Didn't hunch up, or show any signs of being hit. Honestly I was a little worried, especially since he shot offhand. He hasn't had much practice shooting that rifle really. But he was right....he took out both lungs and the top of the heart. She ran about 50yds, straight downhill---and then rolled about 20 it looked like. I made him follow the blood down to her, he did great. Of course there was lots of blood so it was pretty easy. Funny thing was---she was the lead doe and was missing her left front hoof and about 6 inches of her leg. We never knew it....she ran like a champ. Not sure what happened to it, but it was an old injury, probably several years old. When we rolled her over to field dress here, we noticed it he said "Wow dad, I got me a peg-leg doe" Too funny!

I did take a coyote, so that was cool. We have too many up there. I've taken 3 in the last 4 years while deer hunting. I saw about15 bucks, but no shooters and I didn't even shoot a doe because my freezer went out a few weeks ago, so I don't have anywhere to put anything that I do kill.

Now it's back to hunting in VA with the bow I guess. This season has really sucked for me (other than that experience with my son). I have just been overwhelmed with work and life, haven't gotten near the amount of time I typically do. We still have about a month left, so all is not lost. I'm determined to get one for the team!!!

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:43 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

WV Hunter

Tell your son congrats from me!! Sounds like a heck of a great hunt. Really enjoyed reading about it. Congrats on your yote.

Best of luck with the rest of your season. Hope you drill a good one!!

Tim
Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tim

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I will pass it on! It was alot of fun....for him & I. I'm still working on putting my tag on one for this season. We'll see...only seen non-shooters so far. I'm looking for one like you got last year!

Okteam....whats been happening? I was out Sat evening...hunting a stand I hung along along the edge of a thicket where bucks sometimes bed. Saw nothing, but right at dark I could hear one moving through the pines towards me. He (I assume) never got there in time. Too dark. So then I'm stuck cause the deer got to within 50yds of me and quit moving. Not sure if it layed down or what. So I waited until 1/2 hr past dark...hadn't heard anything else so I climbed down. Of course you know what happened....crash, of it goes as soon as I started walking. Bummer of it is....it was breezy all afternoon-hard to hear anything. Once it got dark, it was like walking on potato chips no matter how hard I tried to be quiet. Oh well, next time. One good thing I did find, right behind my house in a thicket---some really nice rubs. Bigger than I have seen in a long time. So there must be at least 1 good buck around...now the question is, what stand to hunt to try and catch him on his feet during the day. We'll see...still got about a month. Guns are cracking daily though... hoping he's still around.

Come on guys...anyone else still out there?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:09 PM

Sorry guys, I've been down with the flu. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Ihope to get something I still got an empty freezer.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:24 PM

Got a couple of does today, the only bucks I've seen were bump heads.
Got a little more time left, we'll see how it winds down.

Quick Reply: 27- Team "Antler Anarchists" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.