Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread >

21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 21- Team Offical Thread

Greetings-I received an e-mail saying to go to 21 to check in. Well, I am checking in. I have not taken a Buck in the last 2 years (by choice) but have passed on a few very good ones. I will do my best to help the team along this year. I am celebrating my 50th year as a Bowhunter-I have never purchased any biggame gun tag (but have no problems with those that choose that as their sport). I have my eye on a couple big Iowa Bucks, but then, I have been watching them pass out of bow range for several years too. Good Luck to all thisseason.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Thanks Jason (extreme1). If we need an alternate, let's lobby for extreme1 but it looks like Robb has indicated we may need to pony up some cash if we are allowed to choose!

As for the team captain situation, not sure I'd want to be considered for that role or that you would even consider me given my experience.I am a second year bowhunter - a doe slayer twice last year but no bucks as I passed on a few forkies. I am having a blast at it, though, and plan to bowhunt exclusively this year. This is the year for a big boy. I can feel it.

Kcison, that looks line a nice buck in your avatar! When did you get him?

Welcome ahunter55. What part of the border are you from? I grew up in Dubuque along the Illinois/Iowa border and last year my teammate Antler Eater was from Iowa.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Like you chucker this is going to be 4th year hunting and still looking for that buck. Seen a few last year, and hoping to get one this year. As for a team captain, I'd say who everis up for the job, not sure what the team captain is expected to do. I'm pretty new here on this site.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Trex here.
Indiana season begins October 1.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thankschuck..got the buck in 2003. 180 5/8ths. He's a once in a lifetime buck. Actually won the huntingnet.com big buck contest with that one in 03. Had second place year before that. I think we started the team contest in 2004. The key is for everyone to score a buck regardless of the size, whatever is a trophy to you or your area. Nothing is too small and every inch is a big value to the team. It's all about having fun and sharing our experiences, not to mention ribbing the other teams. I for one am looking forward to everyone's year, successes and stories of the big ones.

I think someone who is internet savy and can check in with the site on a daily basis should be captain, so anyone is a candidate regardless ofactual hunting experience. If Chuck is game for that responsibility, I'm for him.

Kelly
Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 AM

It's tough to get anything huge in my neck of the woods. The past 2 years I was good for 80-90 pts. Small 8pt 2 years ago, tall 6pt w/ broken tine last year. This will probably be the last year I get to hunt the property I've been on. It's under contract for development.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 AM

Again, nice deer Kelly. And congrats! Would be interesting to hear the story behind him when you get a chance. Is there an old HNI post out there that tells it? Or could you rehash when you are able?

And good points about this being for fun. So sure, I'll be team captain if you guys want me to. It would be an honor. I think the role is more about being able to check in every day and keep people talking, reminding everyone of the rules (i.e., make sure to have all the necessaries in your buck pic), and cheering everyone on. Though I won't wear a cheerleader outfit like Antler Eater and TJF. Those guys scare me.But then again, they did both take massive bucks last year. Hmmm. Maybe they're on to something.

Welcome T in PA3! Whereabouts in Indiana are you from? I'm in the same boat as you, haven't been seeing a lot of big bucks on my trail cam pics, but 3 yearlings with nice racks that could be very big in a few years and a few phantom bucks that are probably pushing just over 100 that have been showing up late at night.

Like Kelly said, if everyone were to get a buck, any buck, we'd have a good chance at winning. But don't let that dictate your personal goals because this is for fun.

Good luck on getting that first buck this year Amhrdwd and everyone!

Chuck
Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 AM

Like Kelly said, every inch counts. I passed on a really nice, wide 6 pointer in velvet last year because I knew there were bigger bucks there and wanted one for the contest. As you can guess, I never got a shot at the big boys. That was probably the best looking 6 I have ever seen and would have him on my wall because he was in full velvet. Would have given my team at least 80 points, maybe more.

With that being said, you guys can count on me for some points this year. My area typically doesn't have huge bucks but I have averaged 100-105 the last few years. If I get lucky with some of the big bucks I know are around, maybe more.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 AM

We're missing just two people: rile1564 and ddlyrfl3006. I PMed them yesterday but haven't heard back. Not everyone checks their e-mail or is online so often. How long should we give them before asking for alternates? A week? So until next Tuesday? I'm open to suggestions.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:41 AM

I think RobPA had people wait a few weeks last year. Plus the teams have been picked before they were supposed to be. I thought it was going to happen Sept. 1st or something like that. They may not check in until then.

Quick Reply: 21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.