HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2006 Deer Hunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest-79/)
-   -   30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest/152820-30-team-double-lung-official-thread.html)

ToddGraf 08-28-2006 09:41 PM

RE: 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Hey Rob,

As always thanks for doing such a great job, I really do appreciate it. I am trying hard very hard to get a shot the buck that I missed last year. (See Photo Below). Yes, that is correct! Missed.

As far as the video deal goes, I am trying to push Justin, we will see. He also has been doing a great job on the site. Have you seen the new Huntingoutfitters.Com page?

Looks like we have a lot of people in this years contest, its nice to see it grow.

Justin has got me shooting a new bow this year as well. I just picked up a new BowTech, I really like it.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-28-2006 09:43 PM

Awesome buck Todd, I too picked up a new Bowtech this year, the Allegiance..awesome bow.

Good luck with that buck...then again, that's prolly two of the rest of ours...;)

YooperMike 08-29-2006 06:53 AM

Hey Todd! Great to see you here! I sure hope you can get that one you missed last year, what a pig! I may be doing some video this year, but it will be my first time so hopefully I can put something together that looks halfway decent. I'm glad to see that you joined the Bowtech family! I love my Old Glory,just have to get some blood on it now. Take care and good luck on that elk trip!

Mike

wihunter402 08-29-2006 11:19 AM

Yeah Todd it is great to see you on here. Best of luck getting that one that you were saving for this year. All misses happen for a reason. He just wants to be shot by you when you are on the winning team.:D

cnapeswitchback 08-29-2006 11:46 AM

thats a beauty of a buck good luck on him this year

ToddGraf 08-29-2006 07:45 PM

Well, is everyone ready to go on our team?

Bows ready? Yes
Stands Hung? No, Notall of them yet!
Camtrakkers Out? Yes.
Gear Ready?Yes
Where is everyone from? Northern IL.

I will be going out for the Sept. opener in Wisconsin and I have to admit I am getting pumped.

Thank god it is that time of the year again.

ToddGraf 08-29-2006 07:47 PM

What part of Southern Wisconsin are you from - Yooper?

YooperMike 08-30-2006 06:20 AM

Todd, I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan but I currently live in Normal, IL. I will be doing all of my bowhunting down here in IL but gun will be in the UP. For your other questions...

Bow Ready: Yes! (after my rest broke last night [:@][:@][:@] and I put a new one on)
Stands Hung: I use a climber...so its kinda always ready to be hung.
CamTrakkers out: This after noon one is going out, so hopefully I'll have some pics to report soon!
Gear Ready: Sunday I went through all of my stuff, and realized I actually have way more camo than I knew I had. Always nice to find out!

wihunter402 08-30-2006 06:49 AM

I am from Southern WI. I live in Verona and hunt north of Richland Center in Richland county.

Bow Ready - Hell yeah. I got the Trykon with Gibblet strings on it and am ready to go. I built me some new arrows which I painted in Navy colors in honor of my son (Matt) who has joined and leaves for boot camp 10 days into the season. Gonna be my first season without him since he was 2 (now 18). Below are the arrows. Can't wait to add some red to them.:D I do have to make sure the broadheads are flying good but that is what this weekend is for.

Most stands are hung and camera went out last week. As for gear I still have to wash all my camo which I always do about a week before the season.

Here is the Trykon.

wihunter402 08-30-2006 06:50 AM

Oh and next time you all see that bow I will be holding in the picture with my buck.:D

Todd where in WI are you going opening weekend??

YooperMike 08-30-2006 08:53 AM

That is a HOTT Bow! Great looking strings and awesome arrows. I'll post some pics of my arrows tonight when I get home along with the bow. BTW...I shot some broadheads last night and my Slick Tricks shot the best by far. I shot Montec 125, Magnus Stinger 125, and slick Trick 125. Also, the ST went through my block about 9" sticking out the other side, and the the other two were about 5" sticking out. I'm going to go with the Slicks, although previously I was going to use the Montec.

Mathewsboy 08-30-2006 09:26 AM

BLAH BLAH BLAH.. Yooper Pooper Scooper

The Only YOOPER thats gonna shoot anything of any size this year is ME.. Mathewsboy... :D

Gotta get the Raggin started somehow here.. lol

Good Luck guys..

wihunter402 08-31-2006 09:12 AM

Well I guess we are a quiet bunch. Has everyone checked in?

I am looking to get out this weekend and see what the camera has on it and also hang the last couple of stands that I need to get out. If I get any good pics I will post them here next week. Anyone else getting out for some scouting this weekend?

wihunter402 08-31-2006 09:35 AM

Ok I got to wondering where everyonewill be huntingand cameup with this list:

YooperMike IL
AK NIMROD AK
Rick James NY, PA
cnapeswitchback MD
phall2 LA, MS
bob dIL
dangolbowhunter SC
Todd Graf IL,WI
wihunter402 WI
Pat ElyMO,NE, IA

Gonna take a wild guess and say that AK Nimrod it in AK. Have you heard anything from him Mike?

phall2 08-31-2006 10:29 AM

Bows ready? YesSwitchback XT/Maxima 250s/100grain Montecs
Stands Hung? Yes, and I have my climber
Camtrakkers Out? only have 2 but they are out. Other people who hunt with me have more out.
Gear Ready?It has been ready since a week after turkey season.
Where is everyone from?Baton Rouge,Louisiana. hunt in LA/MS

wihunter402 08-31-2006 11:17 AM

Hey phall how do you like those Maxima's. I just started using mine about 2 months ago and I love them.

cnapeswitchback 08-31-2006 12:51 PM

I got this guy on my camera right behind my house in a 15 acre piece of property. i was happy to see him . I thinkhe may have been the one Imissed last year

wihunter402 08-31-2006 12:56 PM

WOW that is another nice buck that was missed last year. Guess you must have been saving him for this year too eh??;)

cnapeswitchback 08-31-2006 01:29 PM

yeah I ment to miss.:Dyou guys want me to try and get a team avatar made by someone?

wihunter402 08-31-2006 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: cnapeswitchback

yeah I ment to miss.:Dyou guys want me to try and get a team avatar made by someone?
If you want to do some checking into that would be great. I am NOT creative at all.

wihunter402 09-01-2006 08:09 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that the broad heads are flying right with the field points this year. I had to switch heads this year because Gary is having problems getting the blades for the slick tricks. I picked up the Wac'em's and they are dead nuts on with the FP's. Guess I must have tuned my bow right huh?:D First year doing everything myself and it is the first year I have NOT had to redo my sites for broad heads.Nothingwrong withmy proshop he is just too busy to really fine tune everything.

YooperMike 09-01-2006 09:24 AM

Good work on the tuning WI. Dove season opened for us today and I was out this morning and got 7. Should be tasty tonight!

phall2 09-02-2006 11:03 AM

yeah, i love them!

team avtar sounds cool.

cnapeswitchback 09-02-2006 12:09 PM

well i pm'd ryanaller about the team avatar and i registered to his web site and submitted a picture to the photo contest. just waiting for a pm back . im sure he's really busy

wihunter402 09-05-2006 07:02 AM

Everyone have a busy weekend. I am guessing so since we were all gone from here. My trail camera (Cuddeback) keeps failing. Long story and I can tell more of that later. All looks good for us though as we got 4 new stands hung. We had a tornado move thru just over a year ago and it really messed up our season last year. Really changed the deer patterns with all the big trees that came down.

YooperMike 09-05-2006 09:03 AM

Busy weekend here as well. Went home to the UP for the baptism of my brother's daughter, so that shot Sunday for outdoor things, but Monday we got some work done. We bear-proofed the two feeders and hung a stand and shot our bows from a couple different elevated platforms. I have been screwing around with diaphragm turkey calls and I saw some turks and called to them, and the actually answered! I was so pumped! Pretty good weekend, just too much driving.

wihunter402 09-05-2006 11:26 AM

Mike that is cool that you got them to answer. I know what you mean about being pumped. Getting these stands hung just has put me on the edge. We now have 9 stands for 3 of us. All hang-on's but that works great for me. Glad to hear you have been shooting from trees. I hope to do some of that this week or next at the club. Otherwise I am ready to go. I am shooting better now then I ever have. I have not let a proshop touch my bow since I got it. I just put strings from John (Gibblet) on and tuned everything my self. I bought a press and made that draw board. I think doing it myself gets it done much better and I really don't understand how you can tune a bow for someone else.

On another note have you heard from AK? I see Rob is asking if anyone needs replacements. I hate to do that to him as I see he has been on here for a long time with a lot of posts. Maybe you can shoot him another message.

Rick James 09-05-2006 12:39 PM

Hey guys, Here are some pics of my foodplot project I have going in Bradford County, PA for those not in the wildlife management forum. It is approx 130 yards long, and 50 yards wide (about 1.2-1.3 acres). It three different stripsseeded in Biologic Maximum, Biologic Premium Perennial, and Biologic Full Draw. The seeding is 3 weeks old as of now and I hope it comes in much thicker over the next few weeks. Below those are some pics of some of the smaller bucks. I don't have them on camera, however there are 3 different 3.5 year old bucks on the property right now that I have glassed in the fields at night as well. I will also be spending a good portion of time on a 160 acre property near Oneonta, NY that has 6 seperate plots on it and has had QDM practiced on it for the last 5 years as well, last year I had an encounter with a real slammer (around 140") there that unfortunately I was not able to close the deal........hopefully this year.

Plot after brush hogged before discing:

After spraying with roundup:

After discing:

After spreading a full ton of lime:

After raking, seeding, and dragging:

One week after seeding:

Two weeks after seeding:

Three weeks after seeding (taken yesterday):

And a few of the smaller bucks running around. Not sure I would shoot these guys but next year they should be pretty good ones.

Jawshooter 09-05-2006 12:50 PM

Hey Mr funky youd better hope that i dont get onto one of those monsters you got roaming around before you do!!:D
BTW the plot is looking good!!! Tell pops I said nice job.

cnapeswitchback 09-05-2006 01:52 PM

i got us team avatar's i think they look pretty good

wihunter402 09-05-2006 02:09 PM

Avatar looks great. Just gotta get it working. Thanks.

Rick that plot looks great. I know it takes some time to get them going but I think you did everything right getting it ready. That is usually the hardest part.

YooperMike 09-05-2006 02:19 PM

Awesome job on the avatar! Very cool. I have a personal one too, but I think like this one even better!

wihunter402 09-05-2006 02:22 PM

Guess it is working. Thanks for getting it done. It does look great.

cnapeswitchback 09-05-2006 02:51 PM

yeah i think it looks good to. dont thank me thank the guy that made it for us!

cnapeswitchback 09-05-2006 03:00 PM

do we need an alternate for aknimrod ?

wihunter402 09-05-2006 03:10 PM

I was wondering about that too. I would think he would show because it is not like he is a newbee. I think Mike PM'd him a while back.

YooperMike 09-06-2006 06:04 AM

I sent him a message and haven't gotten a response yet, so I say we get an alternate. I'll send Rob a message.

wihunter402 09-06-2006 08:23 AM

Ok guys I have been having fun playing with the bows. I did all the tuning on my Trykon myself and since I am shooting better then I ever have I went ahead and tuned my xTec. I got that thing shooting great now too. This is the first year I have ever had a backup bow. Two years ago I fell walking back to camp on a hill and broke my leg in 3 places. The snaping sound I heard I thought was my bow and I was crushed thinking I my season would be over because my bow snaped. Well it was over but not because of the bow. I still know things can happen so having a good backup makes me feel even better about this season. 10 days and I am out it the trees.:D

YooperMike 09-06-2006 10:28 AM

I am so jealous of your season WI. I'm going crazy already and we have a ways to go yet!

wihunter402 09-06-2006 01:48 PM

Mike I do understand you but don't get to jealous. Remember that we have CWD. In my zone a guy can get 4 either sex tags PER DAY. With a 115 day season that means 460 tags. BUT WAIT, there's MORE. Because you can get them before the season starts and you do not have to fill one to get more one can get WAY more then 460. Tags have been available since the end of August so you could get about 100 tags before the season even opens. With all those tags out there every deer is a target no matter how many you have already killed. Makes for a very high buck kill every year.[:'(]

The only thing I have going for me so far is that no one in my area cares to shoot more then 1 or 2 bucks and will shoot a doe if they want more meat. We have a rule in our camp that you can shoot any buck you want for the first one of the year but after that it must be big to shoot. You can however shoot as many does and you would like to use or donate. We do have an abundance of them.