HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2006 Deer Hunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest-79/)
-   -   30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest/152820-30-team-double-lung-official-thread.html)

YooperMike 08-21-2006 05:44 AM

30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Team 30

113. YooperMike - Checked in!
Alt. Anthony T.
8. Rick James
330. cnapeswitchback
4. phall2
70. bob d
108. dangolbowhunter
272. Todd Graf
96. wihunter402
244. Pat Ely

YooperMike 08-21-2006 05:46 AM

RE: Team 30 Check-In

BTW...I'm Mike, 25 years old. I will be hunting in IL for bow and Michigan for rifle season. I have a couple pretty good properties to hunt here in IL so I think I should be able to pull my own weight on our team. Let's go get'em!!

wihunter402 08-21-2006 07:25 AM

Well guess I better get checked in. I hunt WI which I am pretty sure everyone here can tell. I have 80 acres of family land and I am looking forward to a great year. My son is out right now scouting for us. He joined the Navy and will be leaving for boot camp on the 27th of September so he did not get on a team this year. Told him to find me a big one out there.

Rick James 08-21-2006 08:23 AM

Checking in here as well. I will be hunting Albany County NY, Oneonta NY, and Bradford County PA. It should be a good year for me.

bob d 08-21-2006 01:25 PM

checking in hunting here in illinois

wihunter402 08-21-2006 01:34 PM

Matt just called me from the field and he saw a few "decent" bucks last night near one of our stands. He couldn't get a great view because he was watching from about 500 yards away. Tonight he is going to try to sit about 200 yards away and see if they come back.

YooperMike 08-21-2006 01:38 PM

Hey Bob, where in IL are you? I'm in McLean county.

bob d 08-21-2006 07:38 PM

i hunt livingston and lasalle counties

cnapeswitchback 08-21-2006 07:52 PM

hey team just checking in. i have a bunch of property here in maryland to hunt the biggest being a700 acre piece . this looks like a very promising year:D

dangolbowhunter 08-21-2006 09:34 PM

Man, you guys make me feel like the orphan child. That is, being that you guys live in monster whitetail country and I live in SC. The good thing is, my season is long and I have tons of property to hunt. The bad thing is, a 125 class buck is pretty good in SC.[:'(] I'll do my best to carry my weight though. Good luck guys, I'm looking forward winning this thing with ya.;)

wihunter402 08-22-2006 12:31 PM

Hey there dangolbowhunter do not feel bad. A 125 is great but really this being my 3rd year in this contest I have seen that just average bucks can really do great things. Good luck to all.

On another note Matt called me from the cabin last night and the buck was back. It is a "pretty decent 8 pointer" is what he called it. He was guessing maybe 90" which is really not bad for an 8 this time of year. He is very good at judging deer so I think it will be about right. Not a P&Y but a good buck none the less.

YooperMike 08-22-2006 12:50 PM

I was out over the weekend checking out some spots and we saw some good sign. Lots of tracks and some heavily worn trails. Going to put the camera out this week and I'll keep you guys updated on what my prospects are! BTW...do we need a team name?

wihunter402 08-22-2006 02:15 PM

What does everyone think about Mike being captain. Other then not knowing a good bow he seems to be on top of everything.:D

As for names I have heard a lot over the past couple of years. One I don't recall ever hearing is"To the Point". Just a thought. We could be the "Thirty Point Bucks" but that would mean we would have to underachive.

Seems we are still missing some poeple too. Anyonecheck to see if they are newbee's or not.

YooperMike 08-22-2006 02:48 PM

Come on now! What's wrong with my Bowtech??? I tried the Trykon...still went with the Bowtech, but Hoyt had their chance. My wife shoots a Hoyt, so it evens out I guess.I'll think of a team name as well. I would have no problem with being captain, unless someone else really wants to.

YooperMike 08-22-2006 03:14 PM

RE: 30-Team Official Thread

Hey guys. I sent PMs to those who haven't checked in yet, except Pat_Ely as his PM box is full. I'll let you all know when I get replies!

wihunter402 08-23-2006 07:18 AM

Mike NOTHING is wrong with your bowtech. I tried the Allegiance, Switchback XT and the Trykon. I just liked the Trykon better. Overall I like the feel of the Hoyts better. Guess that is why they all make and sell bows. Anyway you are captain unless someone else wants to step up and challange you. Thanks for PM'n everyone else.

wihunter402 08-23-2006 09:04 AM

Rick I just realized that you and I were on team 24 last year. Hope we can do better this year. I do think I will be getting out more as having the divorce a year behind me things are much more back to normal (whatever that means).

phall2 08-23-2006 10:48 AM

Ive been busy with football. Just checking in. Will check this thread once a day. I will be more active once the season starts.

I am hunting in Norwood,LA (two 10 pts taken last year and only 5 ppl hunt the land.150acres) Natchez, MS (deer country. 60acres) Port Allen, La (maybe once or twice with a friend)

I have a feeling my biggest buck will come from one of these two properties....
Friendstrophydeer landinNatchez,MS the deer has to be over 150 to shoot it. I always go there for 5 days during the thanksgiving break.
I also have a friend who has 6000 acres of trophy deer land in Concordia parish,LA and will be hunting there a good bit. They are thinking about opening a guided hunting ranch there in the next 4 years.

YooperMike 08-23-2006 11:10 AM

Thanks for checking in phall2! Hopefully you can get one those 150+ deer!

wihunter402 08-23-2006 02:00 PM

WOW Phall2. Maybe we should all come down and help you out with your trophy deer problem. It would be a shame to let those get too much older.;)

So far sounds like a good team. I just found out that slick tricks are probaly not gonna be here for the season. I really like the small 4 blade heads. Anyone on here have some suggestions on what to use since I won't likely be shooting tricks this season.[:@]

YooperMike 08-23-2006 02:40 PM

As far as heads that are similar I would say the NAP Nitrons or the Wac'ems are just about the same as the Slicks. The one thing the Slicks have on the other heads is the blade thickness. I was checking out the Nitrons last night and they do look pretty mean, but the steep blade angle makes me a little nervous about deflection. I would say Wac'ems are going to be your best bet for a substitute. I am going to be shooting the Montec 125s.

phall2 08-23-2006 05:41 PM

i use 100 grain montecs. make sure you sharpen them.

Remember I said I was only going to one place for a few days. The other I will go to prob 2 full days. I will mostly be hunting Norwood, La

wihunter402 08-24-2006 06:19 AM

I have been looking at the Wac'ems too. I also know what you mean about the Nitrons. I have picked up packs several times in the store only to put them down before I check out. I just don't know how I really feel about them. I think it does have a lot to do with those angles like you said. Montec's look great and my son will be using those this fall (before he leaves) with his recurve. He is determined to get one with that and I think he just might. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

cnapeswitchback 08-24-2006 04:00 PM

wihunter.. i will be using the tight point t lock broadheads this season I picked some up at bass pro a week ago and they shoot just like fiels tips and are very sharp although they are only 3 blade

phall2 08-26-2006 10:25 AM

Do we have any ideas for a team name?
Team Double Lung?

any ideas?

YooperMike 08-26-2006 10:56 AM

Double Lung works for me...I haven't come up with anything better that's for sure. I did however see a real bruiser last night where I'll be hunting! Looked to be an 11-pointer. Hopefully I can get some pics of him.

Pat_Ely 08-27-2006 01:20 AM

Hey Yooper sorry about that, i didn't expect teams to be picked until Sept 1st. I have been busy getting ready for season. I just got done cutting shooting lanes for 374 stands just in Missouri, I will be heading to Nebraska this week to hang stands and then to Iowa to cut shooting lanes up there. I will try and keep in touch. I am however leaving for Idaho on Sept 15th for an Elk bow hunt. I have been seeing some awesome bucksl, any where from 120 inches up to 200 class. I will keep you posted. Again sorry for the late check in. Pat Ely

cnapeswitchback 08-27-2006 01:17 PM

im not sure what to do should i let this guy grow another year or try to take him this year. he would be my best buck with the bow. what do you guys think

cnapeswitchback 08-27-2006 01:22 PM

i also have this guy coming in pretty regularly

cnapeswitchback 08-27-2006 01:25 PM

another guy coming in regularly everynight pretty much

cnapeswitchback 08-27-2006 01:31 PM

oh yeah i have pics of these during the day

phall2 08-27-2006 01:32 PM

I would take him. That would be my best buck with a bow too.

YooperMike 08-27-2006 05:44 PM

Pat_Ely: Glad to have you checking in! Hopefully you can get one of those big guys you are seeing!

cnapeswitchback: Great pics! Tough call one those ones, but I think I would have to take one of them. Either way, awesome pics.

I checked out another property today and found some real good sign. Heavily worn trails in the two spots I thought they would be, which is along the field edge and also one crossing a real deep ravine. I also found a real nice tree to sit in about 12 yards off the field edge trail and about 8 yards from the ravine trail. I have to get back over there though and cut a couple limbs, otherwise, all looks good! The camera is going out this week at one of the 3 spots. Take care guys!

wihunter402 08-28-2006 07:41 AM

Nice pics there and I would shoot any of them. They all would be my best buck with a bow. Good luck finding one of them. Double Lung sounds great to me. I plan on doing that to a few deer this fall.

wihunter402 08-28-2006 10:24 AM

Well I got the broadhead issue all worked out. You can see in my Sig that I have gone with the Wac'em's. A little more fine tuning and I will be ready for the season opener which for me is just 19 days and a wakeup away.:D

cnapeswitchback 08-28-2006 02:04 PM

another possible name that came to me from some where. TEAM KILL EM AND GRILL EM. double lung is fine with me tho

cnapeswitchback 08-28-2006 07:26 PM

ohhhh i just thought of another. team 30 silent snypers.

phall2 08-28-2006 08:05 PM

doesnt matter 2 me

ToddGraf 08-28-2006 09:15 PM

RE: 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Hey everyone, I am checking in! Yes I am a live. I have been very busy getting ready for my Montana Elk trip. I have also been scoping out a few new deer spots. They look good:).

Is anyone going to try filming this year?

TG

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-28-2006 09:18 PM

RE: 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Hey Mr. President, welcome aboard...good to have you again this year. To those that don't know on, Todd is 2 for 2 in the contest with a couple dandy bucks...not to jinx you Todd but....;)

Looks like we have quite a few trying to film through out the tourney/contest. It'll be more clear how it's going to work in the seperate contest when I make the score card thread...good luck.

Any news when the HNI video page will be up and functioning?