Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread >

24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 24 check in thread

Hey, Way to go Greg! Congrats!

Will someone give me a link to Greg's buck. I want to see it and hear the story....please, please please!

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

iamyouhuckleberry,

hows your season going man? last time i heard from ya you had just got back from africa, help us get team 24 to the top of the board!!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

heres the link huck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1724350
Old 10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

well guys i saw a couple bucks again tonight, i just glassed them but they were moving quite well, it was the bachelor group from this summer, man am i getting excited for this weekend here is some picture of them

Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

what do you think each of these guys will score? the third and fourth pics are the same deer and the buck in the first pic and the one in the 3rd and 4th im pretty sure are borthers because of matching split g2's because thats not a common trait
Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Hey guys
so its been awhile since ive checked in. congrats greg on a great buck. way to get us on the board. last weekend i went out and didnt see much but i dont think the weather was the best for hunting (hot 65-80 degrees and a very bright full moon) well the weather has changed here and today it snowed. we had football practice in a mini blizzard of like ice balls and snow. it sucked and was very cold and tonight there is a freezing weather warning or something like that. this weekend is the opening of anearly 10 daygun hunt for the cwd eradication zone here in wisconsin so i might be trying out the new .270 but i still might do some bowhunting too. im probably gonna gobowhunting friday morning for a couple of hours because school doesnt start till 10 so that will be nice. my friend saw a big 11 pointer on his property where i bowhunt and it walked right past their big powerpolldeerstand where we hunt from sometimes. the gym teacher at ourwho is also my friends neighboor told me he was hunting last weekend when 2 beagles chased 2 huge 10 pointers right by his stand so the big boys are around and he wasnt too happy with the dogs. well thats all i got so hopefully this weekend will be a good. congrats again greg on a beautiful buck.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar,

I've been out there, I promise! Colorado's archery season is already over. My sights are now set on whitetail in Wyoming, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Texas, Nebraska, and Arizona. So you can see, there is plenty of season left for me. I'm off to Wyoming this weekend for speed goats. I spent last weekend lending my sister a hand with her Pronghorn. She wacked an average size buck (for Colorado's standards)...Her first buck. I was excited for her.

Anyway, I have the team completely on my mind. Let's stay after it! Great job Greg! Thanks for the link Cougar!

Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 PM

so tonight my buddy whose land i hunt on shot a pretty good 8 with real good mass. its pretty exciting out there now cuz the deer are moving a lot with all this cold weather. that buck has been seen a lot with a bigger buck thats supposedly an 11 pointer with a split brow tine but he wasnt with him tonight so hopefully he shows up tomorrow morning when im out their. the buck my buddy shot came right in after a couple flips from the "can" so thats pretty exciting too. dont know if their chasin does or not but he had a bunch of bark in his antlers from rubbing in guessing so hopefully this weekend is successful. we are suppossed to get some snow around 9 tomorrow morning so hopefully the deer will be moving before the snow hits.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have one more weekend of hunting in Colorado (I'm taking two out of staters from New Orleans elk hunting) and then I'm off to Oklahoma for white-tailed deer with my bow. I follow upOklahoma with archery hunts in Kentucky, Wyoming, Texas,and Nebraska. My last bow hunt of the year will be chasing DesertMulies in Arizona

This past weekend I was up hunting "speed goats" in Wyoming. Although I had the bow in the truck, It is way too late in the season to hunt antelope with this equipment. The goats have seen plenty of pressure and are seriously grouped up. If they see a tumble weed blowing in the wind, they're off and running. Getting close with a bow is nearly impossible.

Here's the story:

I would like everyone to stop reading for a second and visualize, if you will, that little Chihuahua dog walking down the sidewalk with Spike (the bulldog). I felt just like that little fellers this past weekend. But, in my case, there were two Spikes. I was given the pleasure of hunting with Marty Killion and Kelly Parks, from Laramie and Cheyenne respectively. These men are giants both physically and mentally. It was an honor to walk in their shadow.

We started our hunt on the morn of October 14th. I left Colorado around 5:00 o’clock am and arrived in Laramie, Wyoming around 7:00. We loaded my gear into Marty’s truck and set out for a new day’s adventure. We were heading towards Wyoming’s game unit 47 (well known for it’s high number of record book prong horned antelope). The drive only lasted 35 minutes…

Marty made the suggestion that I fill one of the two doe tags I had first. He felt it would help take the "wanna kill something"edge off. He was, of course, right. We spotted a group of does being tended by a few small bucks. We were able to close the distance between us and the herd to a mere 130 yards (no easy feat on flat terrain and in the view of multiple animals). With the video camera rolling, Marty tapped me on the leg. That was the signal between shooter and camera man. He was saying “all is ready…take the shot”. The rifle belched and one of two does eternally napped on the ground.

The buck came much later in the day. We walked several miles and viewed many potential “shooter bucks”. I was really trying to hold out for an exceptional buck. Of course, I was hunting with “Old Reliable”…my favorite Ruger M77 chambered for the flat shooting 7mm Remington mag.

My buck was finally located around 4 pm. Marty and I did what we could to eliminate the gap. (side note: with Marty standing about a foot taller than me, I again felt like that little dog. He would walk up to a hill and view over the top. I, on the other hand, bounced up and down…”come on Spike, let me see, let me see!). We were forced to take a long shot. I guessed the range somewhere near 450 yards (it was beyond the capabilities of my Bushnell range finder). I held the crosshairs one foot above the goat’s back (I was sighted in to hit 2 inches high at one hundred yards). I squeezed the trigger and the gun roared. The buck humped! When the sound of the bullet, hitting the buck, found its way back to our ears, it definitely revealed that “TWHACK” associated with a good hit! The buck ran 100 yards and bedded. Sadly, it was necessary to send two more shots. This goat did not want to give up the prairie…I couldn’t blame him.

With about an hour of daylight left, the three of us set out after Kelly’s speed goat. Boy, we saw a dandy! Kelly tried a very long shot and just missed. The goat high tailed it and we turned our attention back to some goats we had seen earlier.

Kelly made a beautiful stalk to within 300 yards of three grazing bucks. The shot he placed was first rate. The buck he selected never knew what hit him. It was a fine display of shooting and spot/stalk hunting! I wish we could have captured that one on video! It would have been priceless!

We retired for the day.

I shot my second doe early Sunday morning. She was taken with another nice 300+ yard shot (Guys, look at the photos. A lot of this land is as flat as a pancake. Getting close is a challenge, especially when there are 40 antelope watching you). On our way to the downed antelope, Marty and I gave the prairie dogs an “it doesn’t pay to stop and look” lesson. Yep, “Old Reliable” really doesn’t care what size you are!

Thank you Marty and Kelly for sharing your state with me!

Here are the photos. Enjoy!

http://hunting.sendphotos.com/?8448R6

Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

great story huck, thanks for sharing, id like to see ya bag a nice white tail

Quick Reply: 24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.