Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

DAMAGE - it is tough staying focused - on well that other part of my life - but will get a reprieve here quickly!

Troy - best of luck on Ole Grey - I am sure his days are numbered now!

Fran - best of luck bud - hopefully your upcomming hunts are merely you and Deer!

J got his truck back already - has not signed off on anything - but said they did a great job on it - wants go give it a couple of weeks (cure paint and driving etc.)

OK - back to work
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of you guys bowhunt during rifle season? Some like in PA wouldnt dare I am sure..but like here..we can hunt with any weapon... Just curious...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

shed, they close bow season here for shotgun season in mid November and early December. No rifle season in IL, too many houses going up and way too flat for the most part.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys hope all is going well. Quick hang in thier it will all come together. Those are some nice deer killed by your buddys. Troy as for hunting with a bow in rifle season I have not done it before but am planing to this year. It gets pretty crazy around here so who knows. We are not aloud to use rifles though shotgun, muzzle loaders or pistols only. I hope I get more action this weekend with cooler temps. I hope everyone else is having a goo season so far. Good luck an be safe.

William
Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, just checking in, not much going on in my neck of the woods. I have been out the last 6 evenings in a row, and have not seen 1 deer. Getting frustrated, I decided to take tonight off. I am going to move a couple of stands this weekend, and try some different spots. You would think with the weather changing like it is and getting colder, they would start moving. Hope you all are having better luck seeing deer than I am.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

IA is similar to IL - they close bow season during shotgun season - we now have a late rifle doe only season (in January) for selected counties (gotta wonder how many big bucks get whacked that way though).

BD - sorry to hear you have not seen any - that is a long dry spell. Hope the weather gets things moving for ya!

William - good luck this weekend.

Best of luck to all!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Well, spent a cold evening out and about... Saw a few deer but nothing really close to me.. Heard that dang fawn again complaining... Corn is coming out a bit at a time but there are still huge patches up and I keep seeing deer duck out of those patches during the day... Oh well...

I am not even hunting shotgun this season but I might be able to hunt during it if I go to my folks place... There are certain properties (state owned)and counties that stay open during shortgun season for bow hunters.... My folks happen to live in one of those areas.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, it was a cold windy one today.

This morningI set up in the backside of this hill where the terrain and trails kind of merge. NOTHING. I had decent hopes for it.

This afternoon I insanely braved the wind and climbed a tree. 3 times I almost got down. 1/2 hr before dark had a doe and youngin come in. Had momma @ 30 yds broadside but she was working her way to me so Iwaited. Well she never gave me another good shot. I really got to pull the trigger on another doe soon. Those were the only deer I saw. Tomorrow morning I'll be back in the oaks hoping to drill a doe. Nice and cold. It's amazing how the deers patterns have changed since the season opened. Deer everywhere that 1st week, now they are holed up and not moving at all.

On a side note....maybe I am getting old but I am this >< close to giving up the whole thing and hunting traditional from the ground. I've got more straps, harnesses, strings, buttons, and crap getting caught twisted and tangled with ever movementI make. I never remembered it being this bad.

Good luck out there to you guys getting after them.

Fran, I used to be like you and try to get a buck ASAP, but lately I don't even start trying for them till the last week of october. I'm in a tizzy trying to drop some does early.

Troy,
I've thought about using a bow in our gun season and I still may sometime, but my biggest worry is if it runs farther than 50 yds and someone else pops it. 2 of my 3 shots with my pistol were EASY bow shots.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ryan - sorry to hear that - I was hoping to see another fatty on the ground! I started in the trees - then hunted from the ground almost exclusively for several years and went back up the trees the past 3 or 4. It does seem that sometimes there is stuff hanging you up everywhere which definately sucks big time!

Good luck tomorrow! - have you seen the state police guy lately? - hopefully NOT.

I have not been out at all yet - and won't get to this weekend either - but hopefully will be out the two after that - then get some time scheduled off in November!

Anthony - did you get the wind that we had today? - sounds like Ryan did! They were just starting to run corn last weekend - much of the beans are out - and the corn will be soon to follow.

Better get back to the task at hand!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skunked last night on an east-facing slope with winds out of the west - had some deer pass below me and head out into the fields. They were really hugging the yards of the houses, because I could hear the dogs going wild, and the brush cracking down in there. When I was leaving, I caught them out in the field edge, so I re-routed around the top, out of sight and out of mind. Too dark to see what they were, just brown outlines.

Some other guy has been hunting in there (I saw his car the other dayand found his stand last night) so I think they're circlingbelow him, using the evening thermals and winds out of the west to stay alert for danger. That's okay because I've got the drop on 'em now. Smart deer.

Ryan - I'm hunting the Greene County gamelands in the morning, if you wanna tag along, you're more than welcome. I plan on staying in the tree until around 10:00, then doing some scouting in some new areas. If you need a change of scenery, just let me know. It's kid-senior doe day, and muzzleloader (maybe small game too). So, there should be some people in there, so the deer will have to move, whether they like it or not.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.